• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan2

Mar 18, 2020
    I used Spikes lower for my first build. Its quality is pretty good.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    While there is no barrel length requirement for AR pistols, I consider it wise to build one that would still easily meet the 29in OAL SBR requirement for MD, should braces ever get the ban hammer. "Future proofing" your investment, so to speak. This is my opinion only.

A 10.3 inch barrel on an AR15 pattern receiver set is basically the shortest you can do while still easily achieving a 29in OAL.

However - a standard adjustable stock will not meet 29OAL with a 10.3. Some stocks will though - a B5systems SOPMOD stock will, as the adjustment detent is slightly further up and there is a integral buttpad which bring it to just over 29OAL.

Or you can use an A5 (VLTOR) buffer tube, A5 buffer and rifle spring and safely be over 29OAL with most any adjustable stock + 10.3 barrel.

OR you can pin and weld a flash hider to the 10.3 barrel, but considering the above options, that is less ideal.

All things considered, an 11.5 is a very happy medium and gives you a lot more flexibility with some added muzzle velocity/reliability advantages.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    While there is no barrel length requirement for AR pistols, I consider it wise to build one that would still easily meet the 29in OAL SBR requirement for MD, should braces ever get the ban hammer. "Future proofing" your investment, so to speak. This is my opinion only.

A 10.3 inch barrel on an AR15 pattern receiver set is basically the shortest you can do while still easily achieving a 29in OAL.

However - a standard adjustable stock will not meet 29OAL with a 10.3. Some stocks will though - a B5systems SOPMOD stock will, as the adjustment detent is slightly further up and there is a integral buttpad which bring it to just over 29OAL.

Or you can use an A5 (VLTOR) buffer tube, A5 buffer and rifle spring and safely be over 29OAL with most any adjustable stock + 10.3 barrel.

OR you can pin and weld a flash hider to the 10.3 barrel, but considering the above options, that is less ideal.

All things considered, an 11.5 is a very happy medium and gives you a lot more flexibility with some added muzzle velocity/reliability advantages.

Or a 10.5" bbl. There are plenty of those, including some very good ones.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So the stock can be an adjustable one that allows it to be shorter then 29” when retracted/in?

Absolutely. It theoretically can't be a folding stock(in Maryland), but any and all telescopic stocks are fine and the overall length of the weapon is taken with the stock fully extended.

Maryland definition of a folding stock is any rifle stock that allows the rifle to be fired while the stock is folded is banned. Folders such as the LAWTactical AR 15 folding stock adapters are theoretically legal in Md as they do not allow repeated firing from the folded position.

Last edited:

JKM525

Feb 7, 2022
    Don'y know if I'll get flak for this, but if it is truly your first build, my recommendation is to build something cheap that you like the look of. Make it a learning experience for your first one.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Don'y know if I'll get flak for this, but if it is truly your first build, my recommendation is to build something cheap that you like the look of. Make it a learning experience for your first one.

There are volumes on MDS(and other forums) full of cheap builds and their problems.

Unless you want the learning experience to be, I'll never do that again...

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Absolutely. It theoretically can't be a folding stock(in Maryland), but any and all telescopic stocks are fine and the overall length of the weapon is taken with the stock fully extended.

Maryland definition of a folding stock is any rifle stock that allows the rifle to be fired while the stock is folded is banned. Folders such as the LAWTactical AR 15 folding stock adapters are theoretically legal in Md as they do not allow repeated firing from the folded position.

MD only regulates folding stocks when part of a copycat weapon.
    A magazine fed semi auto may only have one of the following;

Folding stock
    Flash hider
    Grenade launcher

It does not say anything about if you can fire it folded or not.

Of course all NFA rules apply

You can fire one shot with the Law Tactical folded

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    MD only regulates folding stocks when part of a copycat weapon.
    A magazine fed semi auto may only have one of the following;

Folding stock
    Flash hider
    Grenade launcher

It does not say anything about if you can fire it folded or not.

Of course all NFA rules apply

You can fire one shot with the Law Tactical folded

From what I have learned here from reliable sources is, the firearm in question must be capable of firing repeatedly from a folded position. If I'm wrong on this, I'm not alone. A cursory search has turned up nothing, so anyone with knowledge on this, your help would be appreciated.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    If you're near Rockville then stop by Engage and get an Engage lower. They're good quality and assemble nicely. I just ordered SOLGW parts to assemble another.

The Machine Gun Nest carries Aero if you're near Frederick. They also started carrying 17 Design which is a smaller US manufacturer. I was thinking of picking one up to try it out.

Is Engage selling bare lowers and uppers again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom