• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Looking for a Commercial and or residential Electrical Company that is hiring a Trained Apprentice.
    My 19 Y.O. Son just returned from SD after graduating from the AETech Electrician Apprentice program. It is a 5 month, 5 day a week, 8 hrs a day school that takes only 10-12 students at a time.
    They learned code, Safety, OSHA, and theory in the classroom, and spent majority of the time in the shop with hands on. They also wired houses for habitat.
    https://aetech.com/electrician/apprentice-classes/
    He elected to return to MD, as opposed to taking employment out west.

He has a full set of tools typ to a journeyman, his own transportation.
    He is located in Calvert County. He is an avid kayak fisherman, weight lifter and occasional hunter.
    Below are a few pics, The conduit was part of his final exam.
    PM me for his contact info.
    Many thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_2659.jpg
      IMG_2659.jpg
      70 KB · Views: 728
    • 5518803672409972558_20211219_125905.jpg
      5518803672409972558_20211219_125905.jpg
      78.2 KB · Views: 721
    • IMG_2591.jpg
      IMG_2591.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 713
    • IMG_2665.jpg
      IMG_2665.jpg
      61.6 KB · Views: 716
    • 4915726874858834861_20211219_184422.jpg
      4915726874858834861_20211219_184422.jpg
      34.9 KB · Views: 705

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Congrats he should be able to get in with a company and get some hours in. The one thing i dislike about the welding programs is they blow smoke up the new guy's butt saying they are going to make 30.00 hour to start, yes you can get that but you gotta crawl before you walk.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    The one thing i dislike about the welding programs is they blow smoke up the new guy's butt saying they are going to make 30.00 hour to start, yes you can get that but you gotta crawl before you walk.

When I was a 17, I got certified on 2-inch pipe from Pittsburg labs. When I entered the USCG in 73 I went into a rate that teaches welding. I got MIG, Tig, and Stick certified. Also certified on HY80 and HY110C3 and back in the day I worked in the Harvey Canal in LA on building oil rigs. This was back in 1980 and was making over 50 bucks an hour back then. I also was NDT and Xray certified which paid more. My rich Uncle Sam paid for everything. Funny thing when I retired from the USCG, I never welded again just tired if eating smoke.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Looking for a Commercial and or residential Electrical Company that is hiring a Trained Apprentice.
    My 19 Y.O. Son just returned from SD after graduating from the AETech Electrician Apprentice program. It is a 5 month, 5 day a week, 8 hrs a day school that takes only 10-12 students at a time.
    They learned code, Safety, OSHA, and theory in the classroom, and spent majority of the time in the shop with hands on. They also wired houses for habitat.
    https://aetech.com/electrician/apprentice-classes/
    He elected to return to MD, as opposed to taking employment out west.

He has a full set of tools typ to a journeyman, his own transportation.
    He is located in Calvert County. He is an avid kayak fisherman, weight lifter and occasional hunter.
    Below are a few pics, The conduit was part of his final exam.
    PM me for his contact info.
    Many thanks,

Tomato Electric had a help wanted sign on their store in St. Leonard. Also try Mc Dean Electric they do a lot of commercial work.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Congrats and I wish him the best of luck - I think he will go far based on what you have posted.

FWIW .... Love this pic. In the Navy, we called that a one sided conversation. lol

Attachments

• IMG_2591.jpg
      IMG_2591.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 637

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    When I was a 17, I got certified on 2-inch pipe from Pittsburg labs. When I entered the USCG in 73 I went into a rate that teaches welding. I got MIG, Tig, and Stick certified. Also certified on HY80 and HY110C3 and back in the day I worked in the Harvey Canal in LA on building oil rigs. This was back in 1980 and was making over 50 bucks an hour back then. I also was NDT and Xray certified which paid more. My rich Uncle Sam paid for everything. Funny thing when I retired from the USCG, I never welded again just tired if eating smoke.

I took my first 6G on 6" at Pittsburgh Testing Laboratories when I was 17....that was in 77. Didn't want to high jack the thread but I was surprised to see that.

gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    Mattingly Electric in Hollywood Md. I've been with them for 15 years and the boss and his wife are wonderful people to work for. If he is any good, he will advance fast with us.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks for all the suggestions,, we will be following up with them.
    Unfortunately,, he started showing covid symptoms today (Wife and I a re positive)

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Mattingly Electric in Hollywood Md. I've been with them for 15 years and the boss and his wife are wonderful people to work for. If he is any good, he will advance fast with us.

Good company, use to higher them when I worked at St. Mary's college.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Should look at the apprenticeship programs through the Coast Guard Yard in Curtis Bay.

I was stationed at the Yard from 74 to 79 on a cutter and at the depot. I actually applied for a leader position WG11 at the pipe shop in 78/79 as I was due to get out of the USCG. I got accepted however, Uncle Sam offered me a 16K tax free reenlistment bonus for 4 years. So, I reupped and stayed in.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I took my first 6G on 6" at Pittsburgh Testing Laboratories when I was 17....that was in 77. Didn't want to high jack the thread but I was surprised to see that.

I took mine in 72 and got a job at the local county highway department. I did a lot of repairs on truck frames and laying new edges on plow blades. Has to leave in 73 as my number was up from Uncle Sam and went into the USCG where I kept welding. I replaced may a hatch and watertight door on many cutters. They kept sending me to industrial bases. Welded may a buoy bail and welded on many a metal pile. Moon lighted for Haliburton in LA welded on the oil rig flight decks they were all HY80.

Me welding SST Turbine exhaust on one of our cutters. I also had to make the SST piping 316L

Last edited:

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    I contract with lots of tradespeople Every single company I deal with is looking for employees - He can just pick what location he wants to work in an I bet every company in the area would be interested in hiring him. Tradespeople who are willing to work can write their own ticket nowadays.

Also, as a Master Electrician & Statewide Electrical Inspector I couldn't help but notice the lack of conduit supports on the pic of the board.

schnmbang

Aug 23, 2014
    Tell him to look up local 26 IBEW. I would strongly suggest going union. Been in 12+ years been all over traveling (optional) had a lot of fun in my career. Starting pay isn’t bad around $20-$21 a hour now. Full journeyman top out at $50+ in the pocket, not includes benefits, retirement, pension etc. a lot of people I work with are from calvert

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I took mine in 72 and got a job at the local county highway department. I did a lot of repairs on truck frames and laying new edges on plow blades. Has to leave in 73 as my number was up from Uncle Sam and went into the USCG where I kept welding. I replaced may a hatch and watertight door on many cutters. They kept sending me to industrial bases. Welded may a buoy bail and welded on many a metal pile. Moon lighted for Haliburton in LA welded on the oil rig flight decks they were all HY80.

Me welding SST Turbine exhaust on one of our cutters. I also had to make the SST piping 316L

How funny is that, I took my first test while doing the same at Washington County for the highway dept. I remember a lot of cold wet days working on the plow trucks while the snow melted and dripped on me.

I moved on to Steamfitters union after that.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Tell him to look up local 26 IBEW. I would strongly suggest going union. Been in 12+ years been all over traveling (optional) had a lot of fun in my career. Starting pay isn’t bad around $20-$21 a hour now. Full journeyman top out at $50+ in the pocket, not includes benefits, retirement, pension etc. a lot of people I work with are from calvert

And their bench is completely empty, with a lot of travelling or out of town electricians filling in to supply the demand.

OP:
    I'm generally not a "pro or anti union" type. But now is a very good time to get into the IBEW and start that career path. Have him plan on commuting to Nova. Ashburn, Sterling, DC, Reston, etc if going the IBEW 26 route.

Companies I've worked with on small jobs to very large projects that seemed to be good ones that take care of their people:
    • TK Miller: small shop, mostly residential. Based in Calvert
    • Kelly Elec: Based in Calvert. Dabbles in everything
    • MC Dean: Huge. Into a lot of data center, commercial, industrial
    • Rosendin. Another big player
    • Power Solutions: Based in Bowie, very busy commercially in nova

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD

This ^^^ I would contact them and mention the previous schooling

https://www.ibewlocal26.org/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom