• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Comment period starts 1/4/2022.
    Long story short, AG Garland wants to mandate that all FFLs that sell to "non-licensed individuals" must either provide gunlocks to the public, and keep gun locks on all firearm products or secure firearms inside a safe or lockbox.
    There is also a rather confusing provision to change the definition of "antique firearm" that doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

https://www.federalregister.gov/pub...gun-storage-and-definition-of-antique-firearm

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Long story short, AG Garland wants to mandate that all FFLs that sell to "non-licensed individuals" must either provide gunlocks to the public, and keep gun locks on all firearm products or secure firearms inside a safe or lockbox.
    There is also a rather confusing provision to change the definition of "antique firearm" that doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

https://www.federalregister.gov/pub...gun-storage-and-definition-of-antique-firearm

So scary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

It doesn't actually require they provide or use locks or secure storage, only that they have them available. It's pretty innocuous, certainly by ATF standards.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    That guy is the most dangerous person in modern times, and there are many in this day and age.

Edit : I also feel they already know they are going to lose power in several months and want to ram us dry because they can. They are evil people that are power hungry

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    SOO much time wasted in this administration NOT going after the REAL problems.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, now black powder revolvers will have to go thru a FFL, and potentially require a HQL? Wow

If it can be readily converted to cartridge firing with just a cylinder swap, yeah, that’s what it sounds like.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

This appears to be a routine change to the CFR based on changes to the underlying laws. What is unusual is the time frame. The law apparently was changed over 20 years ago. The NPRM was proposed over 5 years ago along with the comment period. The referenced notice is simply them publishing the final rule 5+ years after the comment period and 20+ years after the law was changed.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Sounds like legislating vice interpreting laws.

After reading this, I withdraw my previous comment (quoted above). The text hadn't been published when I made this comment.

Dispite my feeling about the AG and the Justice Dept, this seems like a reasonably straightforward implementation of duly approved legislation.

Silly legislation to be sure, but that's another debate.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    If it can be readily converted to cartridge firing with just a cylinder swap, yeah, that’s what it sounds like.

I'm not so sure...and I suspect they are sticking their heads into a hornet's nest if they try to interpert it that way. But you can't tell with this bunch. I will say that nobody in the muzzle-loading community has said a word about it.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Based on the Omnibus Consolidated and Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act, 1999.

Just getting a round to amending the regs now? Oh yeah we had this thing we forgot about under Obama? lolwut?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm not so sure...and I suspect they are sticking their heads into a hornet's nest if they try to interpert it that way. But you can't tell with this bunch. I will say that nobody in the muzzle-loading community has said a word about it.

My reading is it certainly doesn't touch on most muzzleloaders. It really just tweaks the language on replicas of antiques, not really adjusting language on the muzzleloader part.

Likely to avoid things (granted it was an underlying law change this is conforming to) that if your replica of an antique uses NON-metallic cartridges, it would not be considered an antique under the law. Probably heading off things like 100% polymer cased ammo.

But the language in the regulatory change does make specific note on the ease of converting a ML to centerfire being key to whether it is considered a firearm, or an antique under the law.

And it calls out a barrel swap or cylinder swap as being considered readily convertible. Unless I've missed something, most ML revolvers where conversion cylinders exist, it is just swapping the cylinder. ATF might not suddenly start cracking down on this practice, but it sounds like they are alerting everyone they will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom