• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I will be curious to see which vendors are coming back.

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk
    I got my letter, I'll be back, same table as always.
    It's going to be curious as there are so many old timers, very old timers. I know a few that were the go-to guys like Ken Bean, God rest his soul, that won't be there. A few are scared of the Covid as they should be. This new MD mandatory NICS check will also be a fly in the ointment.
    I'm 50/50 as to what it'll be or if it'll be.
    I guess I'm saying I agree with Fushigi Ojisan.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I got my letter, I'll be back, same table as always.
    It's going to be curious as there are so many old timers, very old timers. I know a few that were the go-to guys like Ken Bean, God rest his soul, that won't be there. A few are scared of the Covid as they should be. This new MD mandatory NICS check will also be a fly in the ointment.
    I'm 50/50 as to what it'll be or if it'll be.
    I guess I'm saying I agree with Fushigi Ojisan.

IF the MACA did not figure out getting some FFLs to do reasonable Nics checks at the show, that is on them.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    IF the MACA did not figure out getting some FFLs to do reasonable Nics checks at the show, that is on them.
    In the letter they asked for FFL holders willing to do the NICS check to respond to them. They are trying to make a roster of willing and able FFL holders who are at the show.

MTplinker

Dec 30, 2021
    Annapolis
    In the letter they asked for FFL holders willing to do the NICS check to respond to them. They are trying to make a roster of willing and able FFL holders who are at the show.

I guess if you buy ‘em and they’re old enough then they’re antique. Not even a C&R, right?

MTplinker

Dec 30, 2021
    Annapolis
    Got a random question about the typical offerings at this show. Anybody ever seen a Martini-Henry falling block single shot there? Had one of them in the back of my mind to acquire.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I guess if you buy ‘em and they’re old enough then they’re antique. Not even a C&R, right?

Antique is and shall remain cash and carry. There will be many C&R there that if you have a C&R will be FFL03 to FFL03 or FFL01 to FFL03. SOme FFL01 may ask for 4473.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County

Correct, anything made before 1898 is antique, anything black powder also does not need the background check.
    The show is not just antiques, there's many other guns as well but I've never been any AR's or black guns, absolutely no post 1898 handguns.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I was asked by one of the organizers to be an FFL to do transfers; but IMO they did not think it through at all. When I asked, there was no set price or regulation on transfer prices, so whoever is cheapest gets all the business. Typical gun show antics of undercutting the guy's throat a table over for $5 less will run amok; and it was enough for me to not even think about twice taking 2 of of my busiest shop days in the week away, pay $150/table+75-80 fairground fees, for no guarantees. I'll go Sunday to just go and see if I can't find something I like to purchase, but as a business?...it's a no from me, dawg. I love this show, but it REALLY needed more guidelines and thought put into it to make it worth the FFL's time.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I was asked by one of the organizers to be an FFL to do transfers; but IMO they did not think it through at all. When I asked, there was no set price or regulation on transfer prices, so whoever is cheapest gets all the business. Typical gun show antics of undercutting the guy's throat a table over for $5 less will run amok; and it was enough for me to not even think about twice taking 2 of of my busiest shop days in the week away, pay $150/table+75-80 fairground fees, for no guarantees. I'll go Sunday to just go and see if I can't find something I like to purchase, but as a business?...it's a no from me, dawg. I love this show, but it REALLY needed more guidelines and thought put into it to make it worth the FFL's time.

I agree, they need to organize it.
    Maybe they should have set up tables around the show cause I can say this, I'll pay $10-$20 more on a $500 gun not to wait in a long line. I"m not worried as a buyer to save $5.
    I was in PA and the system was backed up an hour with the PICS so I paid extra to go thru SCSG on my dime on a $900 rifle.

If you were there soley to do FFL transfers they should provide you the table at no charge. W/o you guys, the # of sellers I bet will be reduced.
    This will be a learning experience I"m sure of.

Likely the "at home FFL" people will be there doing this.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Guy came in to Bel Air Gun Range to discuss that with the staff while I was there last weekend.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Wouldn't it be so much easier if we weren't law abiding and could just buy stuff out of someone's trunk... like happens every... single... day... all around the city... but nooo, we gotta be good guys. Sigh.

We choose to be law abiding

We can also choose not to be

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I agree, they need to organize it.
    Maybe they should have set up tables around the show cause I can say this, I'll pay $10-$20 more on a $500 gun not to wait in a long line. I"m not worried as a buyer to save $5.
    I was in PA and the system was backed up an hour with the PICS so I paid extra to go thru SCSG on my dime on a $900 rifle.

If you were there soley to do FFL transfers they should provide you the table at no charge. W/o you guys, the # of sellers I bet will be reduced.
    This will be a learning experience I"m sure of.

Likely the "at home FFL" people will be there doing this.

Yes, as an FFL conducting nothing but transfers...I should not have to pay for a table, you're 100% correct. I am providing a simple service mandatory for the event; if the fairgrounds charges a fee to represent so be it...but sales and a service are separate in my books (also on tax books). I just know how gun show dealers are...and they are not hesitant to cut throats over $5-10 to steal a sale from another vendor...I've watched it happen.

That being said, going to browse and maybe pick up a project or a new toy is a no-brainer, but I will surely not be there as my business.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    If you bought a gun in the old days, it's not like that now, if it was an FFL dealer and the gun was in his book, you had to go back to the guy's shop to do the transfer. If the dealer was out of state, we would find a local dealer to do the transfer. The seller would have to ship the gun to him, and the local dealer would do the transfer at his shop...often as a courtesy for free. It wasn't a problem finding a local FFL. Usually somebody would ask somebody, a few back and forths and it was settled.
    It does seem that the show comity is stuck in their old ways. I hope they come up with a list of willing dealers reasonably priced in order to keep everything on the up and up.
    I've been to PA shows where they had a show sponsored FFL holder doing background checks for all gun sales even though it wasn't the law.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Questions always questions

I am looking forward to this show, I have not been to it before.

To anyone that has been or will have a booth.

What is the chance I find a fair to middling condition small caliber flint lock rifle?
    Perfect find for me:

.32 caliber, flintlock, full length wood. Well used, doesn't need to be extra fancy or fancy maple. I don't want an antique, with long history, for $$$$.
    I want an operational flintlock, that I can enjoy at the range and in the woods squirrel hunting, with full length wood.

If I don't find one there, I will stop looking and order a Southern Mountain kit from Kibler's Long rifles.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Helpful Hint to new attendees

I am looking forward to this show, I have not been to it before.

To anyone that has been or will have a booth.

What is the chance I find a fair to middling condition small caliber flint lock rifle?
    Perfect find for me:

.32 caliber, flintlock, full length wood. Well used, doesn't need to be extra fancy or fancy maple. I don't want an antique, with long history, for $$$$.
    I want an operational flintlock, that I can enjoy at the range and in the woods squirrel hunting, with full length wood.

If I don't find one there, I will stop looking and order a Southern Mountain kit from Kibler's Long rifles.
    Your problem will be whether to buy the first good one you see or look for a better deal, then take the chance the first one is still there when you go back, if you can find it.

HINT: take a small pad of paper and write down the aisle number if you see something you want to go back to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom