• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    Hi all,

I have an older AR in 5.56 I rarely shoot. I mostly go to a pistol range so I am thinking it will be fun to get a 9mm upper. Is the below going to be legal and good to go?

Also I saw in the Q&A section a question about buffers and recoil springs. My limited understanding was I can take off my 5.56 upper, throw the 9mm upper on, insert the mag adapter and would be g2g. Is that not the case? Will I need to change out the buffer and the spring? Any other parts I would have to change?

Thanks in advance,

https://palmettostatearmory.com/pa-...htweight-m-lok-railed-upper-with-bcg-ch2.html

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    question

Hi all,

I have an older AR in 5.56 I rarely shoot. I mostly go to a pistol range so I am thinking it will be fun to get a 9mm upper. Is the below going to be legal and good to go?

Also I saw in the Q&A section a question about buffers and recoil springs. My limited understanding was I can take off my 5.56 upper, throw the 9mm upper on, insert the mag adapter and would be g2g. Is that not the case? Will I need to change out the buffer and the spring? Any other parts I would have to change?

Thanks in advance,

https://palmettostatearmory.com/pa-...htweight-m-lok-railed-upper-with-bcg-ch2.html

Saw one of the comments and this is what the one person stated.

Pros: works quite well. Mounted a scope and some hand loads were grouping 1-1/2 inches at 50 yards. Factory WWB, not so good, 4 inches or so.
    Cons: Gas blow-back. Firearm lower gets really dirty with use. Suggest get a heavier buffer, 8 Oz or so in lieu of the standard 3 Oz AR-15 buffer. This helps with follow-up shots. Inserted a 9mm Glock Maxwell adapter. Works well, but last-round hold open does not work.

Others here with tons more experience on this will chime in

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , it is Md Legal . I don't think I saw a magwell adapter included , so you will require one also .

Yes , you will require different ( very heavy) buffer , possibly buffer and spring . Multiple threads on this topic , with either PCC , AR-9 , or 9mm AR-15 in title
    Or heck , this is MDS ! We haven't had a thread on this for a couple of weeks , so start a new thread in either Rifles or Gunsmithing .

But first , buy that before PSA goes out of stock .

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    yes this is 100% MD legal as is.

But its PSA, so quality will be hit or miss.

One of the comments says 4" groups at 50 years, which is I believe, and is crap.

But first , buy that before PSA goes out of stock .

lol, PSA. I'd wait for it to go out of stock then buy something better.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’ve had very good luck with PSA
    I picked up a 6.5 Creedmoor a couple years ago because the price was really good. Always thought I’d have to change a few of the major components but it ended up working great and three shot two hole 1/2 moa group at 100 yrds. I will add 9mm ARs are just more work to get right and not all brands are interchangeable.
    Good luck

Last edited:

Rcbrownr7

Jun 15, 2017
    Annapolis
    yes this is 100% MD legal as is.

But its PSA, so quality will be hit or miss.

One of the comments says 4" groups at 50 years, which is I believe, and is crap.

lol, PSA. I'd wait for it to go out of stock then buy something better.

So you have any recommendations for other, better brands? I just went PSA bc I thought they had a good reputation. Got no problem spending more on quality.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I have the PSA 9mm upper with the Colt style adaptor, heavy buffer and heavy spring. It has been perfect with zero trouble. I put a Romeo 5 red dot with a 5X magnifier on it. Seems to be fairly accurate but I don't have any of my old targets to confirm that. As soon as it warms up a bit I need to take it back to the range and try out some 147g ammo I just loaded up. I wish I would have bought another one of those adaptors when PSA had them. I'd like to have a spare and they were inexpensive IIRC. The PSA mags are really nice quality too with last shot hold open. I don't think they sell the mags any longer either. Should have bought a few more of them as well.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Thinking about my post above concerning the PSA upper, I remember I did have some initial problems. Something to do with the ramped bolt. I sent it back to PSA and they corrected whatever the issue was. Also I drilled and tapped the front of the mag well and put a small set screw in to hold the adaptor more securely. That may have not been completely necessary but that adaptor hasn't moved a hair since.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    4” at 50 yards doesn’t sound too bad for a 9mm.

Went to the range today and got 2" groups at 50 yds with the 147g bullets. I think I could do even better with a scope. The red dot with the magnifier looks like an amorphous blob. Not sure if it's the magnifier or my eyesight, but I suspect it's the cataract I'm going to have to deal with in the near future.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So you have any recommendations for other, better brands? I just went PSA bc I thought they had a good reputation. Got no problem spending more on quality.

You could go CMMG Banshee upper, but be prepared to wait almost a year for one. They too are not known for super quality, but their RDB system is worth the investment, both in time and money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom