• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aervin

May 11, 2015
    Sent you a PM.

There are several things you should know about rebarreling an LW. First, the alignment pin is proprietary, it's domed on the top instead of squared off. You'll have to take a dremel and knock off the corners so the new barrel will seat into the upper. Secondly, you'll need to reuse the barrel nut (unless you bought a spare) but it's basically captive on the current barrel since the gas block is pinned on with a taper pin and good luck getting that out without a press. You can cut the gas block underneath the pin and then hammer it out but without relieving the tension it's near impossible to just beat that pin out with a hammer. Just an FYI.

In summary, it's a whole lotta work.

Last edited:

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Above info is a great summary. One of my range friends had to rebarrel an LWRC-DI due to damage from a flood in his basement and after opening it up he realized he lacked the tooling to do it properly including the press. No way I’d be beating on a $1500 rifle with a hammer to get parts off. LWRC charged him $300 to do it at the time, but that was some time back and he lives near their factory so saved shipping etc..

I think one of my DI rifles has over 10k rounds through it and both the muzzle and breech end still look great with no appreciable wear nor loss of accuracy. They are really nice barrels on those guns at that price point.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    *****Above info is a great summary. One of my range friends had to rebarrel an LWRC-DI due to damage from a flood in his basement and after opening it up he realized he lacked the tooling to do it properly including the press. No way I’d be beating on a $1500 rifle with a hammer to get parts off. LWRC charged him $300 to do it at the time, but that was some time back and he lives near their factory so saved shipping etc..

I think one of my DI rifles has over 10k rounds through it and both the muzzle and breech end still look great with no appreciable wear nor loss of accuracy. They are really nice barrels on those guns at that price point.

I know LWRC gets criticism for proprietary parts but this is ridiculous. I replaced a barrel recently in minutes with the only specialized tool being a torque wrench.

Honestly, now that I know this, if I had the tool I'd lend it to him out of pity. LWRC makes a fine rifle but part of the utility of the platform is the ability to service it without issue.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    He asked for a wrench and you guys jumped all over him. Jeez! Go back and read his first post.

Not really. People were trying to help him by looking into other causes before doing a barrel swap. He was getting jumped on when he started being an A-hole

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I know LWRC gets criticism for proprietary parts but this is ridiculous. I replaced a barrel recently in minutes with the only specialized tool being a torque wrench.

Honestly, now that I know this, if I had the tool I'd lend it to him out of pity. LWRC makes a fine rifle but part of the utility of the platform is the ability to service it without issue.

I wouldnt put much stock in the press advice. The LWRC Gas System does not require a press, just the proper punches, barrel support, and a 2# hammer. Worked on many of them.

I have seen just as many barrels ruined with presses as ones ruined by people using punches and hammers.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I wouldnt put much stock in the press advice. The LWRC Gas System does not require a press, just the proper punches, barrel support, and a 2# hammer. Worked on many of them.

I have seen just as many barrels ruined with presses as ones ruined by people using punches and hammers.

I'm interested in watching the process. I'm gonna look it up.

aervin

May 11, 2015

You've worked on many LW rifles specifically? If so there's a chance you and I know each other without knowing it haha.

And you're right, the right punch and a big hammer definitely works, but since the taper pins are pressed from the factory, that's why I said it takes a press. Also quite awkward without good barrel support, like you mentioned, to get those pins out whether you're using a punch/hammer or a press.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You've worked on many LW rifles specifically? If so there's a chance you and I know each other without knowing it haha.

And you're right, the right punch and a big hammer definitely works, but since the taper pins are pressed from the factory, that's why I said it takes a press. Also quite awkward without good barrel support, like you mentioned, to get those pins out whether you're using a punch/hammer or a press.

Yes I have worked on many LWRC Rifles not counting the 13,000 other AR's I have serviced.

Dec 8, 2020
    Folks this needs to be stated.

I wasn't trying to be snarky or mean spirited.

I simply stated that I didnt want this thread to go down the path of trying to talk about a million different things that could be wrong with my rifle.

I have spoken to a large group of people with much experience on the AR platform. Including the LWRC DESIGN ENGINEER.

I already know what the issues are.

I was literally just trying to keep the conversation short and looking for the simple tool.

That being said...I don't take kindly to having someone try to shove advice down my throat I didn't ask for and then tell me "you're a certain kind of person.". That was simply uncalled for and I will die on that hill.

On a new note, I found the tool needed to do the job. For all those who offered, thank you.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Folks this needs to be stated.

I wasn't trying to be snarky or mean spirited.

I simply stated that I didnt want this thread to go down the path of trying to talk about a million different things that could be wrong with my rifle.

I have spoken to a large group of people with much experience on the AR platform. Including the LWRC DESIGN ENGINEER.

I already know what the issues are.

I was literally just trying to keep the conversation short and looking for the simple tool.

That being said...I don't take kindly to having someone try to shove advice down my throat I didn't ask for and then tell me "you're a certain kind of person.". That was simply uncalled for and I will die on that hill.

On a new note, I found the tool needed to do the job. For all those who offered, thank you.

Yeah...you're still that person.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland

I have seen just as many barrels ruined with presses as ones ruined by people using punches and hammers.[/QUOTE

Oh, and you think you know??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom