• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Question on serializing: Can you legally serialize a pistol in MD if you don't have an HQL?

Whatever alphanumeric sequence you decide to scratch with a sharp piece of steel, cut with a dremel, or burn with a soldering iron, into the receiver? Homemade firearms aren't required to be marked, the ATF suggests you do so in case it is lost or stolen so it can be returned to you.

If you do mark it, note that the ATF only recognizes serial numbers that have at least one number in them. All letters are not accepted in their databases if you should later register it as an NFA item.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    I spent years owning guns, and years where I didn't own any. I never could tell that it affected my health either way.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Whatever alphanumeric sequence you decide to scratch with a sharp piece of steel, cut with a dremel, or burn with a soldering iron, into the receiver? Homemade firearms aren't required to be marked, the ATF suggests you do so in case it is lost or stolen so it can be returned to you.

If you do mark it, note that the ATF only recognizes serial numbers that have at least one number in them. All letters are not accepted in their databases if you should later register it as an NFA item.

HQL has nothing to do with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Wasn't sure if you had to register the gun after serializing, and in doing so, you had to pass muster with MSP.

TravisVerve

May 3, 2021
    "Failure to rid oneself of their privately made guns or have a FFL serialize whatever is possessed by 1/1/23 would have them facing imprisonment for up to 3 years and a fine of up to $10,000 upon conviction, should this proposed legislation become law."

sounds like registration to me.

300 or so (less than 15%) of guns seized in Baltimore are considered ghost. They make it seem rampant. Here is their Press Conference:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEie6ik94Tg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    "Failure to rid oneself of their privately made guns or have a FFL serialize whatever is possessed by 1/1/23 would have them facing imprisonment for up to 3 years and a fine of up to $10,000 upon conviction, should this proposed legislation become law."

300 or so (less than 15%) of guns seized in Baltimore are considered ghost. They make it seem rampant. Here is their Press Conference:

If I also remember correctly, guns of any kind that they can't trace are "ghost guns", not just home-builds. So if a serial # is removed from a glock, it's a boopew. If it is really old and there's no record of it, it's a Casper blaster. Like with "mass shooting", I'm fairly sure they play loose with definitions to sensationalize things to ban our specter protectors.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

Needs a meme or gif of 19:25 "if three holes right were drilled right here, " when their (I think? Pronouns are she/they, so the possessive pronoun is missing) finger is pointing to an 80% AR lower's magazine well. :lol2:

And Polymer 80 should see if they can sue them for reputation damage due to every reference to their name.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

I have no idea what getting an FFL to serialize a gun entails, which is what prompted my original question. I would imagine that if there is a record made of the serial number, then there would need to be a corresponding "passes muster" approval number too...but again, I don't know.

You know what sucks? If you or I are caught with one, you can be damn sure the state will go all out to put us in jail for the full three years, but the people in Baltimore using the guns for illegal activity RIGHT NOW that prompted this new law will get spit right back out on to the street quick as could be :sad20:

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    So if they are gonna give me 3 years a piece for every pre 1969 gun I have that doesn't have a serial number, I might as well go full on super villain, because I will have nothing additional to lose.

"Super Villain."

Attachments

• supervillain.gif
      supervillain.gif
      341.9 KB · Views: 184

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have no idea what getting an FFL to serialize a gun entails, which is what prompted my original question. I would imagine that if there is a record made of the serial number, then there would need to be a corresponding "passes muster" approval number too...but again, I don't know.

You know what sucks? If you or I are caught with one, you can be damn sure the state will go all out to put us in jail for the full three years, but the people in Baltimore using the guns for illegal activity RIGHT NOW that prompted this new law will get spit right back out on to the street quick as could be :sad20:

There nothing different between having an FFL engrave a serial number on a firearm and you doing it. Nothing gets recorded in any way, shape, or form at an FFL if they engrave it. There is no federal requirement for an FFL to do so.

So, since there is no record made, there is no "passes muster" approval number either. You don't get a "passes muster" number when you have an SBR, SBS, AOW, Supressor, or any other NFA item engraved with a serial number that you, yourself, create.

What are they going to do with actual legal firearms from manufactures such Colt, S&W, etc., that were manufactured before 1968 without a serial number?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    There nothing different between having an FFL engrave a serial number on a firearm and you doing it. Nothing gets recorded in any way, shape, or form at an FFL if they engrave it. There is no federal requirement for an FFL to do so.

So, since there is no record made, there is no "passes muster" approval number either. You don't get a "passes muster" number when you have an SBR, SBS, AOW, Supressor, or any other NFA item engraved with a serial number that you, yourself, create.

What are they going to do with actual legal firearms from manufactures such Colt, S&W, etc., that were manufactured before 1968 without a serial number?

They have no freaking idea. It's been pointed out to them in year's past when they've brought up this legislation. (I know you know)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

The bill last year just required someone (could be you) to serialized and keep a record of it (personally) for the first year after the bill. After that all 80% had to be serialized by an FFL to be sold.

They might just be rehashing last years bill or they are making it worse by now requiring an FFL to serialized and keep a record of even existing builds. Smh

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I saw where the MC Chief of police mentioned ghost guns during a briefing regarding the Magruder High School shooting today.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    so, how many crimes were committed with "ghost guns" last year? How many have been confiscated during crime investigation?
    Not one that we've discovered in numerous requests for that information.

Never mind that nobody can identify a SINGLE violent (armed) crime in Maryland since "gun tracing" was invented by BATFE. Firearms tracing begins when ATF or another law enforcement agency discovers a firearm at a crime scene and wants to learn where it came from. NTC receives the trace request and uses the gun’s serial number to identify its original manufacture or importer. From their records, NTC is able track the firearm through the wholesale and resale distribution chain to its first retail purchaser.

The Trace results cannot be used as substantive "evidence" against any suspect in trial, even if the "seized" firearm was sold the day before.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    The bill last year just required someone (could be you) to serialized and keep a record of it (personally) for the first year after the bill. After that all 80% had to be serialized by an FFL to be sold.

They might just be rehashing last years bill or they are making it worse by now requiring an FFL to serialized and keep a record of even existing builds. Smh
    We're waiting to see the text of the proposed bill. Watch this page and the MSI website for text, as soon as it's released to the public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom