• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm not sure if I'm going to start doing this this year or not. Lord knows we have beaucoup coyotes all over the area I can hunt. I think that this year I'll just get the tactics down with the electronic callers etc. I'm also going to skin and tan at least one yote to see if I can do it right.

I went today and got nada... :D

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Happy hunting. My son just got a coyote this season at our place. First one we have ever seen here. Never caught any on a camera or anything either.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    Its a good time for sure. Ive been doing it for about 20 years. Just like everything else, it starts out simple. But then you decide you want this, need that, ect. Next thing you know your buying thermals and doing competitions and so on. But I absolutely love it! WE have just started getting a good population of coyotes in southern md, so its taken a little for me to learn not to shoot the first fox that comes running in 2 minutes in to wait on that coyote. But I giggle like a little school girl when I put that first howl out and get a response. Even if i cant work em in to get the shot, it was a good nite.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Its a good time for sure. Ive been doing it for about 20 years. Just like everything else, it starts out simple. But then you decide you want this, need that, ect. Next thing you know your buying thermals and doing competitions and so on. But I absolutely love it! WE have just started getting a good population of coyotes in southern md, so its taken a little for me to learn not to shoot the first fox that comes running in 2 minutes in to wait on that coyote. But I giggle like a little school girl when I put that first howl out and get a response. Even if i cant work em in to get the shot, it was a good nite.

I hunted deer on APG about 8 years ago. I sat in my ground blind and blew on my coyote call a couple of times. A few minutes later I heard a bunch of coyotes runing around behind the blind. I wanted to get a deer though so I let them be. When we were getting ready to leave we heard a huge number of them howling in the swamp. I would love to hunt them if I had the chance.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Tonight I set up on a saddle next to a big ravine. I had heard a coyote howling there as I left from deer hunting a few weeks ago. I think I saw a couple of yotes flashing by on the other side of the saddle (I thought I was on top of the saddle but I wasn't). Didn't see anything in my fields of fire. I'll try again tomorrow night.
    It's going to be mild for January here in Iowa but we're gonna have a big snowstorm on Friday. I'm hunting in NE Nebraska across the Missouri River from where I live BTW.

The game warden on the indian reservation I'm hinting on won't let us hunt bobcat though so it's only coyotes.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I searched, but could not find the group.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That’s odd, I know it’s there, as I’m a member. I went out this past Saturday evening fox hunting. Full moon, andcold temperatures with wind, madefor a difficult evening. We didn’t see a thing. Hopefully, I’ll get a few more chances before the end of this month.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    That’s odd, I know it’s there, as I’m a member. I went out this past Saturday evening fox hunting. Full moon, andcold temperatures with wind, madefor a difficult evening. We didn’t see a thing. Hopefully, I’ll get a few more chances before the end of this month.
    Might be a private group.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I found it, requested to join, but haven't been approved yet. If anyone is a member and can add me that would be great.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I found it, requested to join, but haven't been approved yet. If anyone is a member and can add me that would be great.
    I just found it too....weird that it wasn't there yesterday.

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    Question: What do you guys do with the meat, if anything?

I have heard that the meat is actually pretty good, however I have not been that hungry yet myself.... I generally skin them, keep the skulls and the baculum from the males.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I have heard that the meat is actually pretty good, however I have not been that hungry yet myself.... I generally skin them, keep the skulls and the baculum from the males.

That is a big negative. The meat tastes like a$$. Well, I compare it to liver. So if you like liver and onions, maybe you'll like coyote meat.

I've tried it a couple times over the years. Most of it was just puke. Only ONE time did I ever think, "huh, well that was OK" and it was when I gave one of my dead 'yotes to a Vietnamese friend of mine. I'm not sure what voodoo magic him and his family did in preparing it, but it was served similar to "broccoli and beef" and it was pretty descent.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I don't know anyone that has tried it but I watched a Steve Rinella Meateater episode where he ate coyote and didn't like it much. The ones I have shot typically stink so bad I can't imagine eating it.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    It is private but sure they accept new members. Pm me, maybe I can invite. I know they had issues last year with infiltration from anti hunters. May take time to get added.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    It is private but sure they accept new members. Pm me, maybe I can invite. I know they had issues last year with infiltration from anti hunters. May take time to get added.
    No one has approved my request.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    That is a big negative. The meat tastes like a$$. Well, I compare it to liver. So if you like liver and onions, maybe you'll like coyote meat.

I've tried it a couple times over the years. Most of it was just puke. Only ONE time did I ever think, "huh, well that was OK" and it was when I gave one of my dead 'yotes to a Vietnamese friend of mine. I'm not sure what voodoo magic him and his family did in preparing it, but it was served similar to "broccoli and beef" and it was pretty descent.

hahahaha! Im not a fan of liver n onions so I appreciate the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom