• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Does any mammal that eats mainly meat taste good? I’ve heard good and bad on bear but that could’ve been diet related also.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Does any mammal that eats mainly meat taste good? I’ve heard good and bad on bear but that could’ve been diet related also.

Perhaps there’s more to Leviticus, chapter 11 than Christians believe.
    I tried bear once as a child, and can’t remember anything positive about it. Tough as shoe leather, but maybe the way it was cooked was the reason.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland

I have heard that bobcat and mountain lion are delicious, but i've never been able to try either.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Damn it’s cold out there tonight! With the windchill my phone said it was 7 degrees. It was worth it though as my son shot his 1st fox!

AR .223 with a ATN night vision scope, shooting hand loads, from a death grip rest at about a 100 yards.

Attachments

• 45E0AF47-CFF9-43FD-AA8B-E850E475DBBA.jpg
      45E0AF47-CFF9-43FD-AA8B-E850E475DBBA.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 131

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I have heard that bobcat and mountain lion are delicious, but i've never been able to try either.
    Bears don’t eat mainly meat, at least black bears anyway. They're true omnivores but according to DNR’s Harry Spiker they eat mostly berries, agricultural crops, corn, acorns, beech nuts, grubs, termites, and vegetation. Bear meat is pretty good, if cooked properly. The trichinosis thing had me worried, so I ate mostly ground, but the roasts were fantastic too. I’d like to put another one in the freezer this upcoming fall.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    Damn it’s cold out there tonight! With the windchill my phone said it was 7 degrees. It was worth it though as my son shot his 1st fox!

AR .223 with a ATN night vision scope, shooting hand loads, from a death grip rest at about a 100 yards.

Congrats !! What model ATN is that and how do you like it ?

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Congrats !! What model ATN is that and how do you like it ?

Thanks!
    The scope is a ATN X-Sight 4K Pro Edition 5-20x Smart HD Day/Night Riflescope. I upgraded the IR light to ATN IR850 Pro IR Illuminator, big improvement over the stock light.
    Overall I really like the scope.
    Depending on what I’m hunting I swap the scope around on a few different rifles, just a few quick shots and it sighted right in. I love that feature. Using Bluetooth others with you can see what you see in the scope on there phone.

The clarity is awesome, even at 20x. The last upgrade to the software, let’s you now go to 50x. not really useful for hunting, put it’s still pretty clear.

What I don’t like is sometimes it freezes up! Sometimes I can go for hours, without an issue, others it freezes up every couple minutes. Very frustrating. Hopefully, the next update fixes this issue.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    Thanks!
    The scope is a ATN X-Sight 4K Pro Edition 5-20x Smart HD Day/Night Riflescope. I upgraded the IR light to ATN IR850 Pro IR Illuminator, big improvement over the stock light.
    Overall I really like the scope.
    Depending on what I’m hunting I swap the scope around on a few different rifles, just a few quick shots and it sighted right in. I love that feature. Using Bluetooth others with you can see what you see in the scope on there phone.

The clarity is awesome, even at 20x. The last upgrade to the software, let’s you now go to 50x. not really useful for hunting, put it’s still pretty clear.

What I don’t like is sometimes it freezes up! Sometimes I can go for hours, without an issue, others it freezes up every couple minutes. Very frustrating. Hopefully, the next update fixes this issue.

The freezing is what others have noted also. Been looking at the ATN's for a while to see if they can resolve that issue. Still seems to be a good scope for the price.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    The freezing is what others have noted also. Been looking at the ATN's for a while to see if they can resolve that issue. Still seems to be a good scope for the price.

I spoke with ATN over the phone Monday. They had be actually downgrade from the latest update. So far so good. I left the scope on for a few hours in the house, and it didn’t freeze up. Then I left it outside in the cold for 2 hours on 2 separate occasions, it didn’t freeze up either.
    Hopefully, this fixes it. ATN said they have had some issues with the latest update.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Perhaps there’s more to Leviticus, chapter 11 than Christians believe.
    I tried bear once as a child, and can’t remember anything positive about it. Tough as shoe leather, but maybe the way it was cooked was the reason.

Only had bear once. Incredibly delicious.

I've got no issues with anyone hunting just about anything so long as it isn't endangered or human and done in a sustainable way. But bear hunting just isn't for me.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Bears don’t eat mainly meat, at least black bears anyway. They're true omnivores but according to DNR’s Harry Spiker they eat mostly berries, agricultural crops, corn, acorns, beech nuts, grubs, termites, and vegetation. Bear meat is pretty good, if cooked properly. The trichinosis thing had me worried, so I ate mostly ground, but the roasts were fantastic too. I’d like to put another one in the freezer this upcoming fall.

You just have to make super sure you cook it to proper pork temperatures and maybe a little more.

Most cases of trichinosis in the US are caused by bear. I don't have the numbers, a few dozen cases a year I think?

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012

Congratulations! Is he hooked now?

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    Had me a little a little luck last nite. Shot 2 but lost one. It layed next to this one for a couple minutes, then decided to get up and roll out.....

Attachments

• 0205222011.jpg
      0205222011.jpg
      75.4 KB · Views: 87

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom