• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JasonD67

Jan 23, 2021
    Annapolis
    I'm getting ready to buy my first gun online. I'm not too excited by it for several reasons, but they do have what I want (need?)

I see many sellers only take money orders of some kind. The thought of me sending someone online a money order and expect back something in return just seems wrong. I'd rather buy with a credit card...I get 3% cash-back with my card so the added fee is not a big deal, but I get the buyer protection my card offers.

Have folks around here had decent luck on GunBroker? What kind of things should I be on the lookout for to help ensure the seller is honest and reliable?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I've bought a few things off Gunbroker without any problems. Check the seller's feedback and rating to make sure they're legit.

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020
    I have bought and sold a few things. Really hard to get a good deal tho.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Gunbroker is generally a great place for sellers but for buyers...not so much. The upside is you find many guns available you really want and may not be able to find otherwise. Basically...do your due diligence, set a maximum bid you're willing to pay and stick to it...otherwise you'll find yourself upside down in the gun really fast.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Check your card's policies. The "buyer protection" may not apply to firearms purchases.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Gunbroker is hit or miss. Sometimes you find a deal, sometimes not. Over the last two years I'd say mostly miss.

If you are "not too excited by it for several reasons" I'd say pass. We are just past xmas, I am finally starting to see deals. Shot show is coming up so there will be discounts on Gen N because N+1 is coming out. Also, there is a good chance a local FFL can order it for the same price or less (once you include shipping and xfer fees).

What is the gun?

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    It depends. If you can wait until you get the deal you want. I've done well on selling. Not so much on buying. Never had a problem with not getting the product.

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Ive had good experiences with gun broker. I use it mainly to find exact guns with the colors and features I want. Local shops just have what they have and sometimes I want the gun in a different set up.

With that said I have ALWAYS bought from stores on gunbroker. Directly from other gun stores that have an online website and actually pick up the phone and are cordial. If they are jerks on the phone before you buy something I wouldnt buy anything from them. Good luck if you arent satisfied with what they send you if they have a bad attitude upfront. With that said all transactions have gone well for me. (4 total).

Once I accidentally bid on a gun that was privately owned and I won. I did not see it was privately owned until I won the auction. The reason was I was fast bidding on a couple of guns and did not have time to check everything out. I had an episode of I MUST HAVE THAT GUN! The guy seemed cool and had a good rating so I took a chance. I sent the money and the gun came right on time just as he listed it. A perfect transaction.

I would be very careful with person to person sales. It is VERY hard to recover money when you get cheated. Our criminal justice system is set up to protect individuals from government overreach and let me tell you that REALLY protects criminals in a lot of cases. I had a tiller stolen once. We know who did it, we had witnesses tell us he did it and the cops could not do anything bc of some circumstances. ANYHOW- at the end of the day my take is go through businesses and if you do, I think gun broker is awesome for finding stuff you want.

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    I have bought and sold a number of guns on Gunbroker, and have never had a bad experience. By that I mean buyers always paid me, and sellers always delivered the firearm offered for sale. Having said that, there are scams on gunbroker, so I would check the rating / feedback of the seller. If it is someone with very few ratings or no feedback, you don't want to be the buyer who learns they are a scammer. You could call them / try to check on them and try to learn if they are legit. Have fun, there are lots of choices on gunbroker.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I only use a postal money order if I use one. Have some backing if the deal goes bad that way. Also, the sellers usually prefer them as everyone has a post office they can go to.

If you're buying from a person who has been on there a long time it usually goes smoothly.

What is it you're looking for? May be better ways to get it.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I only use a postal money order if I use one. Have some backing if the deal goes bad that way. Also, the sellers usually prefer them as everyone has a post office they can go to.

If you're buying from a person who has been on there a long time it usually goes smoothly.

What is it you're looking for? May be better ways to get it.

USPS doesn’t really back up anything.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I have been screwed twice on GB by top sellers. Thankfully I only use credit card and that’s what saved me. I would say GB has the worst customer service ever but that’d be a lie. They DON’T Have Customer Service.
    Try calling ( no number ) or emailing ( automated response) and you’ll see it’s a $hit $how. All that said it’s still a good place to find things just CYA

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Beware

I buy and sell with good luck. USPS money orders are protected by mail fraud laws,
    I ALWAYS google the address, phone number and check the feedback. Sometimes I ask for a cell phone picture to be sure he really has the gun and didn't copy it off the internet. A legitimate seller will always do what he can to make you feel comfortable with the transaction.
    NEVER send money to a P.O. address unless there's good feedback.

I passed on a great deal this week because the guy didn't have any feedback as a seller, only had 6 feedbacks as a buyer over several years and didn't leave feedback for the sellers. Shipping price was stated as actual cost with no idea who or how he would ship. Packing, shipping and the transaction with the FFL and money comes into question with an inexperienced seller.
    Probably why the gun sold so cheap.
    I only accept USPS money orders. Bank checks are easily counterfeited. Once I did take a bank check and called the bank in the morning, they were very nice and verified the check.

tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA
    Check the persons feedback. Don't just look at the grade, open it up and look closer. It's very easy to keep an A+ rating. I have seen people with numerous Fs and they still have an A+.

Don't forget about all the extra costs they added recently. Sales tax, and I think there is also a 1% fee now.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Thanks everyone...I'm looking for a nice Swede Mauser.

I would think hitting a few of the larger shows should allow you to find one of those. Plus, you'll get to see it first.

Or, take a road trip and hit several local shops.

Do you have your C&R? If so, that opens up some other doors while also letting you avoid the transfer fee in md if you do buy one on GB.

BTM9

Apr 20, 2021
    Gunbroker

Been buyin' and sellin' on Gunbroker for many years.
    Never have had a problem except non-payment from a newbie once.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    Just want to emphasize that when you check feedback that it's as a seller (as pre64hunter mentioned). Just because they paid for something they bought doesn't mean they're a legit seller particularly for individuals. HAving sais that, I've both bought and sold on GB without problems. I second (or third) the recommendation to use USPS money orders only.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Sellers prefer them because the $$$ is known good, since the purchaser has already given the USPS their $$$. Having a PO nearby is immaterial, since you can deposit postal money orders just like any old check, even mobile deposit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom