• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    How far does the adjustable stock on the RDB extend? Will it get the 27" long RDB defender (16.1" bbl) to MD legal length when extended?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A lot of people need to read this post a couple times. The VHS-2 looks cool, but that LOP is going to be a stone cold bitch in actual usage (albeit it does get you over the OAL floor...). It also doesn't have the cool AR-style mag release that the X95 has. I'm not going to say it's a bad rifle, because I don't think that's the case, but I certainly think it's a bit behind the power curve compared to other options. They'll still sell a million of them, I imagine.

Incidentally, I saw the RDB Defender at SHOT, and I've got to say that's a pretty clever-looking rifle. Unsure if Kel-Tec's fixed the functional aspects or whatever, but the premise looked solid.

The problem with Bullpups is that between the shoulder and trigger finger they need room for the FCG, ejection, bolt, mag and grip, all within a "reasonable" LOP. The RDB is kinda snug between the mag and grip, but comfortable, the VHS/Hellion has more room, and a huge LOP as a result. As for the functional issues, I only use Pmags, and they run fine, but other brands and Mil-spec mags sometimes won't lock in. The mag catch/release more than anything is the part of the design that looks like after a late friday night, they said "F-it, just use this stamped POS". It can get hit and drop the mag inadvertently, it isn't terrible comfortable, and while useable, it's not all they good. The Bolt catch is also really stiff and awkwardly placed, but less of an issue because of that big beautiful charging handle out front. Once the gas is set it runs great, really smooth as the rifle cycles 6" to eject the round behind the mag (AR15s are about 4"). Of course if it short strokes, double feeds or basically jams most ways, it can be a royal PITA to clear as the ejection port isn't all that accessible. It does make it a killer suppressor host though, tuneable gas, with the excess bled off twards the muzzle, the little bit leaking around the chamber, and port pop gets vented down with the brass, and it's near bolt-gun quiet at the ear.

How far does the adjustable stock on the RDB extend? Will it get the 27" long RDB defender (16.1" bbl) to MD legal length when extended?

It is 24.5 COLLAPSED with a 14" LOP, goes to just over 26" with the stock extended and a 15.75" LOP. Flat out the ONLY reason the stock extends is to keep it over the 26" OAL and away from NFA designation. It is tiny, this pic compares it to a much larger 10.5" SBR, both topped with a 1-6 Strike Eagle.

View attachment 332331

Attachments

• 20220119_155129.jpg
      20220119_155129.jpg
      79.6 KB · Views: 359

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Me too. Lol

I can’t see anything with that pesky thermal sight. It’s takes too long to focus and get set up. Besides , iron with an extremely short sight radius beats shooting from the hip.

Solution: Practice your hip shooting….

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    Oh man this needs to be in the collection! Croatians make good stuff. I’ll let you thank me for the wine you drink later... ha. All good things start in Hrvatska!

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I am seriously thinking about the hellion. Bull pups usually do not move the needle for me but the hellion has me curious.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Rifle showed up today. I took a few pictures of it pre-cleaning, so you're seeing it as it came out of the box. It's oiled but it's storage oil, not operating oil. What all the reviews don't mention is just how much steel is in it. Sure, there's a boatload of polymer but many of the holdy bits are steel. it's clearly a well built, military grade product, not a Kel-Tec. The machining is very nice and mating surfaces in the bolt/carrier are highly polished and very slick in operation. My first impression is VERY positive. If I enjoy it, I might do an in depth look at it but for now, here are a few preliminaries.

Left side, stock collapsed. Length, 28.25":

I'm 6'2" and it fits me just fine this way. It has a rubber butt pad too, which is a nice touch.

Right side, stock full extended. Length, 29.75":

If you have slightly longer arms, this'll be for you. It's not quite awkward for me at this length but almost.

Length compared to a Tavor with elongated flash hider and a Colt 16" A3 Carbine:

Even though it's still covered in storage oil, note how nicely finished the details are on the bolt face and locking lugs. This is indicative of the machining found elsewhere on the rifle. The only exception to this is the barrel. It's not smooth in the slightest but the bore looks nice!

Markings on top the barrel just in front of the chamber:

Again, still covered in storage oil. The number is not the serial. I assume it's a lot number or date code of some sort. The stylized "T" might be a quality control mark of some type? It's also marked with the manufacturer, HS Produkt, located in Karlovac, Croatia.

Short stroke, two position gas system:

While the trigger box is polymer, all the clockwork is steel:

It's a bullpup so it's not a match trigger. Still, it's significantly lighter than my honey's Tavor.

Last picture for now showing it stripped down to its major components:

There's still a ways to go for general cleaning after shooting (e.g. gas system, bolt group) but this is just a quick look so you get the picture.

That's it for now. As I said, my first impression is very positive. It's clearly well thought out and built with an eye for longevity. But it's essentially a proven military rifle so I would expect that. It comes with a lifetime warranty but, of course, that's only good for as long as they are being imported so take that for what it's worth. Still, for the amount of shooting any of us is likely to do with it, I have no doubt it'll stand up to whatever I'm going to use it for. At 2K, it's not inexpensive but if it turns out to be as much fun as it looks like it might be, it'll turn out to be a bargain.

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Rifle showed up today. I took a few pictures of it pre-cleaning, so you're seeing it as it came out of the box. It's oiled but it's storage oil, not operating oil. What all the reviews don't mention is just how much steel is in it. Sure, there's a boatload of polymer but many of the holdy bits are steel. it's clearly a well built, military grade product. The machining is very nice and mating surfaces in the bolt/carrier are highly polished and very slick in operation. My first impression is VERY positive. It's clearly a well built, military grade product, not a Kel-Tec. If I enjoy it, I might do an in depth look at it but for now, here are a few prelinaries.

I'm 6'2" and it fits me just fine this way. It has a rubber butt pad too, which is a nice touch.

If you have slightly longer arms, this'll be for you. It's not quite awkward for me at this length but almost.

Length compared to a Tavor with elongated flash hider and a Colt 16" A3 Carbine:

Even though it's still covered in storage oil, note how nicely finished the details are on the bolt face and locking lugs. This is indicative of the machining found elsewhere on the rifle. The only exception to this is the barrel. It's not smooth in the slightest but the bore looks nice!

Again, still covered in storage oil. The number is not the serial. I assume it's a lot number or date code of some sort. The stylized "T" might be a quality control mark of some type? It's also marked with the manufacturer, HS Produkt, located in Karlovac, Croatia.

It's a bullpup so it's not a match trigger. Still, it's significantly lighter than my honey's Tavor.

There's still a ways to go for general cleaning after shooting (e.g. gas system, bolt group) but this is just a quick look so you get the picture.

That's it for now. As I said, my first impression is very positive. It's clearly well thought out and built with an eye for longevity. But it's essentially a proven military rifle so I would expect that. It comes with a lifetime warranty but, of course, that's only good for as long as they are being imported so take that for what it's worth. Still, for the amount of shooting any of us is likely to do with it, I have no doubt it'll stand up to whatever I'm going to use it for. At 2K, it's not inexpensive but if it turns out to be as much fun as it looks like it might be, it'll turn out to be a bargain.

I’ve really been considering adding a bullpup. Your detailed description is encouraging. I appreciate the time you out into these posts and I look forward to reading your range report.

Currently my HD rifle of choice is my AR SBR chambered on 300 B/O and suppressed. I like 300 B/O for this role and was considering the Tavor X95. I think if they sold the Hellion in 300 B/O that might be my next purchase.

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Rifle showed up today. I took a few pictures of it pre-cleaning, so you're seeing it as it came out of the box. It's oiled but it's storage oil, not operating oil. What all the reviews don't mention is just how much steel is in it. Sure, there's a boatload of polymer but many of the holdy bits are steel. it's clearly a well built, military grade product. The machining is very nice and mating surfaces in the bolt/carrier are highly polished and very slick in operation. My first impression is VERY positive. It's clearly a well built, military grade product, not a Kel-Tec. If I enjoy it, I might do an in depth look at it but for now, here are a few prelinaries.

Dear Santa...
    yep I need me one of these

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I watched the youtube with Ian when he reviewed this and his comments were much the same. Also they learned a lot when they made the VHS which is a totally different gun from the VHS-2, but the successes and failures of the VHS helped make the VHS-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom