• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I'm interested in doing some fresh water fishing and need some reports from the hardcore guys fishing this time of year. I was at the Nanticoke River on 12/31 and managed to catch some fish (pickerel, yellow perch, bass, crappie, and 1 20" Rockfish). I have a boat to fish on so I have a lot more options for places. Was thinking I might try the Severn River one day. Has anyone been there lately? Also I don't mind a long drive if the bite is good.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I'm chomping at the bit to get out but I fish the reservoirs and like you said there not open yet. I just ordered a new electric outboard that should put my Triton on plane. Can't wait to put it to the test. I would consider the susquehanna for some small mouth.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Maintenance time….

Attachments

• 6D1B937B-E706-41D3-81D6-0150E3D77CEE.jpg
      6D1B937B-E706-41D3-81D6-0150E3D77CEE.jpg
      69.9 KB · Views: 616

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    It's going to be a warm day this Saturday. I'm heading to the shore (Nanticoke River) with some minnows and do a little fishing. I'll post a report here on how I do. Anyone else been out or going this weekend?

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    It's going to be a warm day this Saturday. I'm heading to the shore (Nanticoke River) with some minnows and do a little fishing. I'll post a report here on how I do. Anyone else been out or going this weekend?

I'm thinking about it. Do you have a boat or will you be working from the shore/dock? What kind of tactics will you use this time of year?

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    The only good fishing this time of year is for yellow perch, best panfish ever.

I disagree with you about that. Fish eat all year long. They don't stop eating because it gets cold out. I'll have a great chance at catching bass, crappie, pickerel, and of course yellow perch. I hope I am the only one out there tomorrow. I'll catch more fish that way. :)

RockyTheDog

Sep 5, 2011
    Myrtle Grove

I was at the big pond at Myrtle Grove walking my dogs yesterday and they were hauling in trout. I saw three caught in the 5 minutes it took to walk past. Looked about 12-14 inches. They must have just stocked it. There were a lot of people there fishing.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    March, April is usually pretty fun on the Potomac.

My cousin holds the Maryland state record for largemouth bass (Chesapeake division). He broke ice on the Potomac to catch an 11.2 pound bass in January.
    I’m fishing for stocked trout today. Smoked trout dip for the super bowl tomorrow.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I wish I had better news about my fishing trip today but all I can tell you was the fishing was tough. 1 4lber+ to the boat and then he popped off. There were a lot of people out on the river today but most of them were catfishing. They are netting/hooking shad up in the shallows then using the shad for bait out near the main river in the deep pools. They are doing really well catching lots of cats and some very large ones too. 30 pounders + are being caught regularly. Saw 2 myself. I may have to try it one day. Might be fun.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    This seems like a good group to ask...what kind of boat do you use to fish in this region and why? What would you buy if you like fishing, crabbing and duck hunting, and had a $20k budget?

I'm starting to shop for my first ever boat to use for fishing/crabbing/duck hunting in the Potomac and other Bay tributaries. I am thinking of something simple with a center console and capacity to seat 4 people safely (e.g. wife and two children for fishing; or myself and dog and decoys for hunting). So I have been looking at Carolina Skiff models and some Jon Boat types. My budget is $5-10k for the boat + trailer, and $5-10k for a motor. I was thinking 40 hp or better. I don't plan to take this out on the open Bay or far away from shore on the rivers...this is for rivers and creeks/shallow water primarily. Hopefully I can move up to a Bay-capable boat later on.

The boat will live in my driveway (plenty of room). My closest marina is 20 minutes away where I can put the boat into Bull Run (shallow water) and I also go to the eastern shore of MD about once a month....maybe more if I get a boat...and the upper Potomac/DC area water.

I have been using a variety of hunting club-owned 19' Carolina skiffs with 60 and 120 hp motors for a decade and am very familiar with operating/troubleshooting a beautiful bathtub like that. I love how stable and get the job done, but they are but they sure are heavy and ugly. :) What do you guys think? What am I not thinking about? I'm not in a rush...I plan to buy this in 2023 or 2024.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    This seems like a good group to ask...what kind of boat do you use to fish in this region and why? What would you buy if you like fishing, crabbing and duck hunting, and had a $20k budget?

I'm starting to shop for my first ever boat to use for fishing/crabbing/duck hunting in the Potomac and other Bay tributaries. I am thinking of something simple with a center console and capacity to seat 4 people safely (e.g. wife and two children for fishing; or myself and dog and decoys for hunting). So I have been looking at Carolina Skiff models and some Jon Boat types. My budget is $5-10k for the boat + trailer, and $5-10k for a motor. I was thinking 40 hp or better. I don't plan to take this out on the open Bay or far away from shore on the rivers...this is for rivers and creeks/shallow water primarily. Hopefully I can move up to a Bay-capable boat later on.

The boat will live in my driveway (plenty of room). My closest marina is 20 minutes away where I can put the boat into Bull Run (shallow water) and I also go to the eastern shore of MD about once a month....maybe more if I get a boat...and the upper Potomac/DC area water.

I have been using a variety of hunting club-owned 19' Carolina skiffs with 60 and 120 hp motors for a decade and am very familiar with operating/troubleshooting a beautiful bathtub like that. I love how stable and get the job done, but they are but they sure are heavy and ugly. :) What do you guys think? What am I not thinking about? I'm not in a rush...I plan to buy this in 2023 or 2024.
    You don't want a fiberglass boat on the upper potomac. You WILL be hitting rocks. You want a Jon boat, preferably with a jet drive outboard. If you want to put 4 people on it, you'll want an 18' boat or bigger. If your budget is $20k you should be able to find something used. I just saw a new G3 18' boat with a jet drive, it was $25k

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    No 1 boat is going to hit all your needs. If you go jon boat and jet drive for the upper Potomac then you will have some issues when fishing/crabbing other places. It sounds to me, since you duck hunting and crabbing that a skiff might be the way to go. Don't worry about how it looks. I agree they are ugly but so what. They get the job done. For me, I am only fishing, so a big stable bass boat is my best bet. I am screwed if I want to fish the bay because you really need a different type of boat to be safe out in the big water. And don't let a big river fool you they can be very dangerous in bad weather also. Especially the Potomac!

I’m looking for a decent place that’s good for catch and release, have gone up to Port Deposit and got some luck with yellow perch. Firstly is getting my freshwater documents updated, next is finding a decent shoreline spot to go. Anyone have suggestions for the middle River area and bait? I’ve been using some spinners with grass shrimp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom