• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    The LE6920 SOCOM (M4A1) used to go for up to $5k just months ago now I see them for around $1500. Did Colt start producing these again?

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    A recent batch was released. Unsure of the numbers but there were some available at multiple online vendors recently. Prices I saw ranged from 1500-1800. Pretty sure those panic prices were already on the decline though.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Yes.

Colt stopped civilian production a few months before covid.

Some time later they decided to resume production into the civilian market, however, they no longer make all of their own parts like they used to.

Does it make a difference? Maybe, maybe not.

What you saw with 3-5K colts was a combination of “we may not see these on the market again” plus covid frenzy buying.

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Yes.

Colt stopped civilian production a few months before covid.

Some time later they decided to resume production into the civilian market, however, they no longer make all of their own parts like they used to.

Does it make a difference? Maybe, maybe not.

What you saw with 3-5K colts was a combination of “we may not see these on the market again” plus covid frenzy buying.

I wonder if this is related to their acquisition by CZ? 2019 Colt suspended their civ line all together in favor of government contracts.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colt had put out a statement then that they had something like a 120-day supply of AR-15 and M4 rifles at then current sales rates so they would concentrate on existing military and government orders and could restart civilian sales production should conditions dictate such. They did make another run from existing parts as sales increased.

Also...Colt...like most gunmakers...have not made many parts for many years. They've relied on vendors for many items and still do. All parts, processes and specifications are approved by the Pentagon to ensure meeting contract specifications. There are no worries in that respect.

Redbean

Redbean
    Jan 14, 2017
    Beltsville, Maryland
    I first started seeing them back in the first few days of November 2021. I jumped on one for about $1800, but then quickly saw a few vendors with prices around $1450. I was lucky to jump on one of these prices and cancel the first order. Now it seems that they've all been allocated and the lower prices are gone. But, you can still find them for around $1600. Go to gundeals. From what I've seen on shipping box labels from Gun Broker, there might have been 1000 available. Also, some of these dealers won't sell to us peasants here in MD and/or might not include the factory magazine. Good luck, Redbean

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville
    I have one of each, the first run and the second run.

My first run rifle has the proper cage code on all parts, including the stock, barrel, upper receiver and the charging handle. The bolt carrier did not have the "C" engraved, but the bolt was marked as it should be.

The second run rifle did not have the cage code on the stock, charging handle. The upper reciever was absent of any colt specfic markings. The bolt and carrier were marked correctly. The stock is marked "made in usa" and has the correct part number.

I believe that colt had a bunch of lower receivers and barrels so they did a second run and finished the rifles with what ever parts they had in the bins. Nothing wrong either rifle. If you are concerned about the markings then you will need to go back and replace some parts. I have corrected the short commings on both rifes except for the upper on the new rifle. I have a cage code marked upper to swap. Just not sure if I want to do the work. :)

-Russ

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Also...Colt...like most gunmakers...have not made many parts for many years. They've relied on vendors for many items and still do. All parts, processes and specifications are approved by the Pentagon to ensure meeting contract specifications. There are no worries in that respect.

Good to hear and I have always thought that SOME (but not all) of those saying otherwise just wanted their 15 minutes of fame on You Tube.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colt...and any company making items under contract for the military...are usually by definition...low bid. That doesn't mean poor quality...just that their product is usually the least expensive that meets all contract specifications.

Supplying Milspec items is not inexpensive...the quality control and inspections are an expensive process. That's why Colt products and those of any Milspec vendor are generally more expensive. Buying an AR platform rifle from a non-government maker doesn't necessarily mean their product is made from inferior parts...just that those parts aren't subjected to the inspection and testing required of government contract vendors. Those parts could actually be superior quality...but without the inspection and testing process you don't know. The parts could from a government vendor who sells off overruns of Milspec parts...or parts that are uninspected or blems or otherwise irregular dimensions or rejected by government inspectors.

Essentially...like in so many products...you get what you pay for.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    I don't see the urge to buy a Colt M4A1, unless you carried one in theater and feel nostalgic about it. You can build a way better rifle for well under $1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom