• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Last year my LGS had a Marlin 1895 45/70 for $800 and a Marlin 1894 44 Mag for $450. I chose the 44 Mag because I already have a 44 revolver, and reloading stuff. I still think about the 44/70 though. Can’t go wrong either way.:)

I would have on that 1894 Marlin 44 for that! Nice pickup

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    That new SBL 1895 Ruglin is GORGEOUS! I've looked at the old remington one many times but the build quality just worried me too much. I'm a sucker for stainless guns! I'll get the ruger version for sure.

45-70 cowboy/trapdoor loads are a pussycat out of a rifle. Those are still slightly more energy than what you can get out of a 44mag pistol. I'm shooting the Black Hills 405gr cowboy (1250fps = 1400fpe) out of my antique 1886. Slackdaddy, if you are near AGC you are welcome to try it out sometime.

Getting a 44 lever makes sense if you want ammo interchangeability w/ a revolver. Reloading for either will be about the same for the same bullet weights and energy (loading full house 45-70 loads will be more though as you can put in more powder.) Brass for the 45-70 will be a touch more. But having to stock 2 different types of brass, bullets, and another set of reloading dies can be a bit of a pain. You can load the 45-70 as far up (Ruger #1) or as far down (44 special) as you want however.

I'm tempted to tell you to buy your dream gun.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Both of course! Though you will likely have more fun with the .44. .45-70 is a fantastic caliber and I love my guide gun but its a beast.

Cant wait for Ruglins to become more common, I have been wanting to build the Jurrassic Park SBL gun for years. Just not at the price that people have been asking.

If you start thinking .45LC I have a Remlin I might let go, its a nice gun just a bit superfluous to others I have in that caliber.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I would not get a rifle caliber just to be a companion for a hand gun. Get the right caliber for the job. If 45/70 is the best choice then get that and don’t look back.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    +1 ^^^

Regardless of velocity, because of ballistic coefficient you don’t gain appreciably more practical range with the 44 Magnum in a long gun. I shoot 44 Mag revolver well to 100 meters. A Ruger carbine got me to 125-135 yards before the trajectory compensation got annoying for its remaining energy. That and a hunting experience across a power line cutout revealed long ranges require a rifle cartridge.

OP mentioned his shots are 100 yards or less on his typical hunts. If I were expecting bigger closer range game (bear, moose) some day, I’d say get the 45-70, then use it loaded up for the bigger game. The 45-70 as factory loaded would be comparably effective for his hunts as the 44 lever action. Otherwise, there is greater utility in the 44 lever or a 7.5” Super Blackhawk.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Once again, thanks for all the thoughtful insight from everyone, it has been very helpful.
    Like I said, this gun would replace my H&R 20ga USH that I hunt deer in MD with, 90% of my deer hunting is management hunts, where I am limited to 80 yds or less, 90% of my deer taken in the last 10 years have been 60 yds or less.
    This gun would also be used for "fun" at the range, bench shooting out to 100 yds, off hand steel ?, etc, just fun stuff.
    It would also be my "gateway" to reloading.
    With those parameters in mind,, Logic says the 44mag is the gun. The only question is, can I load a 44 mag to shoot out of a 16-17" barrel that will approach the 20 gauge slug muzzle energy I am used to (2300 Ft. Pds muzzle)??

With all that said,, That New Marlin 45-70 is sweet, I would want the 16.5" version if it ever comes back. And I could load a 45-70 down to the 44 levels, or use hot loads if we have an influx of T-Rexs.

I have beat this horse to death :deadhorse:,,,I think this decision will end up being a impulse buy when the opportunity presents it's self.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    45/70 is the best all-around cartridge, from white tail to moose. I have been using a 45/70 for about 40 years. You can shoot everything form a 300-grain shell to a 500-grain shell.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I crunched some numbers for typical .44 rifle loads . But a major * DISCLAIMER* -

Ft Lbs per se aren't great yardstick of game performance . The .44 load with most " energy" isn't the best for deer . Furthermore , the 20ga slug sheds velocity a lot faster , and the comparisons will be different even at 50 or 75 yds .

The .44 loads that come closest * at the muzzle * are the 180 gr with 2100- ish ft lb . But a 180gr JHP @ 2100 fps will blow up , and severely underpenetrate . It would be more suitable for groundhog at rifle velocity ( and most 180gr are marked on the box for revolver use only ) .

Probably the best deer hunting bullet weight is 240 - ish , either a controlled expansion JHP like an XTP , or a cast bullet of 240- 255 gr .

If the discussion turns to Elk , Moose , big Bears , etc , .45-70 can have lots of potential , with corresponding recoil .

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    The best info on the 44mag I have found so far:
    https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.44+Remington+Magnum.html

.44 Remington Magnum
    History

During the 1920’s, U.S gun writer Elmer Keith (1899 -1984) became heavily involved in handgun hunting along with the development of his own projectiles combined with maximum power loads.

Prior to Keith's influence the handgun projectile had not greatly evolved. It had started as a ball and then eventually became a round nosed conical bullet. Flat pointed ‘wadcutter’ bullets first appeared around the turn of the 20th century. Used by target shooters, the flat point punched a clean hole through target sheets which helped aid the scoring process.

One of Keith’s earlier discoveries was that a flat pointed semi-wadcutter target bullet delivered higher trauma on game than a round nosed bullet. A full wadcutter target bullet (essentially no bullet taper / ogive) proved even more emphatic but this bullet design also produced a very steep trajectory. In Keith’s experience, a semi-wadcutter produced the right balance between external and terminal ballistics. Keith took this a step further by utilizing a concave ogive on his bullet molds to allow more of the projectile to be seated outside of the cartridge case, thereby increasing case capacity. Changes were also made to the location of the bullet lubing grooves. The result was heavy bullet design featuring a generously wide meplat that could be driven at high velocities. This came to be known as the ‘Keith style’ bullet.

Utilizing the newly available heavy framed hand guns with long cylinders, Keith was able to seat his .38 caliber cast bullets out long and develop very fast loads. The combination of a wide meplat, high bullet weight and high speed helped boost the performance of the .38 Special. This experimental work helped pave the way for development of the .357 S&W Magnum.

Following this success Keith applied the same approach to the .44 Special. It has been said that Keith chose to focus on the .44 caliber rather than .45 because revolvers chambered in the narrower .44 caliber had greater cylinder wall thickness and therefore greater strength for high pressure loading. The .44 case was also quite strong. In applying his methods, Keith discovered that the Smith & Wesson .44 Special could be souped up from its mild loading, normally consisting of a 246 grain bullet at 755fps, to a more potent 1200fps with a bullet design of his own making and of a similar weight.

During the early 1950s Keith approached both Smith & Wesson and Remington (ammunition) in the hope that they might adopt his high-pressure loading. Both companies were keen to collaborate and set about upgrading the .44 Special. In order to ensure that the new loading would not be used in older weaker arms, the new version of the .44 Special was lengthened by .125” ensuring it could not be chambered in .44 Special caliber pistols - but with the added bonus that .44 Special ammunition could be used in the new handguns.

In 1956, Remington and Smith & Wesson released the .44 Remington Magnum cartridge as a chambering for the new Smith & Wesson model 29 revolver. Sturm Ruger also announced a new revolver for this cartridge, having somehow apparently gained access to either cartridges or spent cases during its development.

Initially factory loads for the .44 Remington Magnum propelled a 240 grain .430” bullet at around 1450fps. During product testing, Elmer Keith described the model 29 as being pleasant to shoot but many hunters found that its recoil stung the hands, so much so that the .44 Remington Magnum was not immediately popular, even after loads were reduced to 1350fps. Then in 1971, Hollywood brought the .44 Remington Magnum to the big screen via the movie Dirty Harry, staring Clint Eastwood. Following this, the .44 Magnum became so well known that even non-gun owners learned (thanks to the script) that the .44 magnum was at that time the most powerful handgun in the world.

As time passed, the .44 Magnum became available in a variety of pistols and rifles while being supported by a wide selection of factory ammunition. This incredibly successful cartridge has been used to hunt pretty much every game animal on earth. It is no longer the most powerful handgun cartridge in the world, knocked off its pedestal by such cartridges as the .454 Casull, the .460 Ruger, the .475 Linebaugh and the .500 S&W.

Performance

As a hunting cartridge the .44 Magnum produces varied results depending on whether it is fired in a rifle or pistol. In other words, velocity plays a major role in the speed of kills produced by the .44 Magnum. Far too often we see energy and penetration figures quoted for this cartridge, none of which is based on real world, blood on hands results. Again, and not taking direct CNS strikes into account, the impact velocity of a .44 caliber bullet determines whether the kill is fast or slow. Bullet weight and construction are also major factors that go beyond energy figures.

Loaded with an expanding bullet the .44 Remington Magnum is capable of producing hydrostatic shock (nervous shock – see game killing section) on medium game down to impact velocities of 2100fps. But as with all cartridges and loads, this type of shock and poleaxe effect is not fully consistent. It is good when this occurs and we can do our best to encourage it, but we cannot fully rely on this mode of action due to the many variables at play. Factors such as adrenaline, game weights (resistance) versus the bullet weight and design each have an affect on results. Shot placement is another factor. Shots at or above center of the ribs and towards the front of the animal tend to produce a more noticeable reaction, But shots that strike low or to the rear most ribs may not initiate a poleaxe effect. The .45/70 is much the same in this regard.

It should also be noted that impact velocities over 2100fps can place a great deal of stress on conventional cup and core bullet designs.

Between impact velocities of 2100 and 1700fps and in the absence of hydrostatic shock, medium game struck squarely through the chest will generally try and run but will often appear as if they are running downhill, such is the speed of blood loss. At these impact velocities a fast expanding bullet may destroy the lungs in their entirety. Hydraulic force is high at these impact velocities along with mechanical wounding as a result of bullet weight / mass shedding. Bullet weight loss may run as high as 50% which can inhibit penetration to some extent if the bullet weight is not optimally matched to game species.

At impact velocities between 1600fps and 1300fps, chest shot game may show no reaction to being hit with expanding bullets. Having said this, internal wounding may be immensely broad and death follows in due course. A measure of bullet weight shedding also continues to aid wounding. Nevertheless, tough and highly adrenalized animals can at times cover great distances (over 100 yards) before succumbing to blood loss.

At impact velocities below 1300fps, the .44 caliber can produce slow kills. A conventional cup and core bullet will generally retain near 100% of its weight at these impact velocities and hydraulic force may appear almost nonexistant. Blood trails can be poor at these lower impact velocities, the blood draining to the lower chest - even though both entry and exit wounds are at least a caliber in size. This will be a surprise to many but is simply the reality of using a low velocity cartridge.

Between 1300fps and 1200fps it is important to use a bullet capable of very fast expansion when hunting medium sized game. While I understand that Elmer Keith was a great proponent of flat point bullets, all too often we ignore the fact that he went on to develop bullets with very deep hollow points. At higher velocities we can place some reliance on hydraulic force but as velocity falls away, bullet expansion helps to initiate mechanical wounding. In plain terms, the wider the expanded bullet, the faster the kill.

Hunters concerned with speed of killing should consider 1300fps as the cut off point for disproportionate to caliber wounding using the .44 bore.

Bullet weight is another critical factor in the terminal performance equation. In many situations the 200 grain bullet weight can prove to be the most emphatic. In the first instance this bullet weight can be driven fast, up to 2100fps in rifles. Second to this comes the lack of SD which helps to ensure that a 200 grain .44 caliber bullet loses a great deal of its momentum on impact, ensuring high energy transfer within the target. Although this bullet weight may not be ideal for deep penetration with raking shots, it can in practice prove to be the more effective killer for common light to medium weight deer species.

Bullets weighing between 210 and 225 grains can be thought of as a compromise weight. These offer just a touch more insurance (penetration) than the 200 grain bullets while still being light enough to be driven at high speeds. This is a good bullet weight for factory ammunition manufacturers for the same reasons, a means to balance several factors including the wide range of game body weights customers might encounter.

The 240 grain bullet weight is considered standard for the .44 Magnum. There can be no doubt that this bullet weight gets the job done. One can buy the cheapest of factory loads, taking little notice of the actual bullet design or rated velocity and simply expect this bullet weight to work. It does and can be used on light bodied deer through to such jobs as dispatching cattle. But when hunting medium game weighing less than 80kg (180lb), this bullet weight while capable, does not always kill with style. Even the very fast expanding XTP bullet can retain too much momentum, especially at low impact velocities, resulting in delayed killing and very weak blood trails. These comments aside, the 240 grain weight is highly useful if raking shots are to be expected on medium game. To get the most out of this bullet weight on lean animals it helps to carefully work up fast loads (most emphatic in rifles where 1800fps can be achieved) and to keep ranges fairly short. Beyond these basic considerations, this bullet does its best work on larger bodied deer and boar though impact velocities will invariably affect outcomes.

Heavier bullets weighing 265 to 300 grains tend to work best on game weighing over 150kg (330lb) at close ranges. The tougher the bullet, the more we need to be mindful of narrow wounding at low impact velocities. Those who wish to utilize a Keith style non-expanding bullet should pay close attention to my comments regarding impact velocity cut off points. The further the bullet falls below an impact velocity of 1600fps, the weaker the hydraulic force potential. Those who expect wide wounds from a non-expanding wadcatter may want to consider 1500fps as a suitable cut off point. If this impact velocity cannot be achieved (often as not), aim to break bone as a means to enhance energy transfer.

Regarding the subject of defense against wild game (or anything for that matter) the factors are relatively simple. An expanding bullet will produce the largest wound, being somewhat forgiving of shot placement, but at the expense of some penetration. A non-expanding bullet can produce outstanding penetration but at the expense of wounding (depending on the impact velocity), being the least forgiving of less than ideal shot placement. A premium expanding bullet can in many cases offer the ultimate compromise. On the other hand, an expanding bullet cannot by itself magically make up for poor accuracy.

It may perhaps help the reader further to relate the fact that a .444 or .45/70 Marlin rifle loaded above 2100fps, is capable of rendering internal wounds up to three times larger than a .44 Magnum handgun loaded to 1250fps. This is not exactly comparing apples with apples yet the point remains that there is simply no substitute for raw power.

The .44 certainly takes time to understand. When range testing at 100 yards the .44 can destroy a ¾” ply backboard in fairly short order. The backboard may have served well for several months or for a few years before being partially destroyed in a matter of a day, completely breaking up with the next rain. Personally, I tend to use a separate board for .44 and .45 testing - such is the destructive power of these wide bores. Why then would I state that this cartridge can produce narrow wounds and slow kills? In plain terms, higher velocity rifle cartridges tend to produce great hydraulic force and wide internal wound channels after impacting game. At low impact velocities the .44 does not produce immensely wide wounds or fast bleeding to the same extent. But what it always does is punch on through, with most projectiles generally producing good expansion down to impact velocities of around 700fps. So while I may state that the .44 can produce rather humble results at low impact velocities, wounding cannot be described as altogether narrow or in any way insufficient when hunting at woods ranges using either a rifle or handgun.

Hunting rifles for the .44 Magnum come in a variety of flavors. The lever action rifles are certainly very handsome, handy and effective for hunting at very close ranges (including shooting over dogs). But some measure of objectivity does need to be applied. In dense and dark bush such as that found in New Zealand, open sighted rifles can be very difficult to use beyond 25 yards, especially at dusk and or with aging eyes. Those few precious seconds trying to draw a bead can lead to lost opportunities. Further issues can occur when shooting across open country, such as occurs if we break out of the bush and onto river flats. A 125 yard shot seems like an easy accomplishment in theory. But if our heart rate is high, the small light weight rifles can be difficult to settle. If we try to rest the rifle against the tree, chances are that the barrel or tube will make contact, not the forend, causing enough harmonic disturbance to send shots well off target. Like any tool, it takes time and experience to gain proficiency and to create concrete habits. But further to this, there may come a time when we have to let go of our pride and accept that we may need a scope or at the very least an aftermarket peep sight to help us connect with our target.

As for accuracy, the lever action .44’s can be somewhat problematic. Loaded to full speeds the .44 generates a good measure of harmonic force. Along with this, the lever action rifle forends cannot generally be free floated, the net result being potentially poor accuracy. In some instances the very act of disassembly, applying grease to weather proof the rifle followed by reassembly is enough to upset the apple cart. That said, it is imperative that gun owners perform such maintenance.

With regards to the Marlin 1894, one of the few lever actions that readily accepts a well positioned scope in my experience, soft gel bedding of the forend using RTV silicone (a method pioneered many years ago and described by author M.L McPherson) helps a great deal. This combined with hard bedding at each end of the forend (in models with end caps) tends to help these rifles to shoot straight and maintain their zeros. The 1:38 twist rate of the Marlin is certainly very slow but I have found that forend stress tends to be the greatest issue. Once bedded, the rifle can be rested over a very soft front rest (a pack rather than sandbags) and by omitting the sling and keeping the forehand well centered under the forend it is possible to keep this rifle at around 2 MOA with 300 grain bullets.

Single shot rifles have also become popular in recent years including the Rossi Pomba (Wizard) and Bergara CVA Scout (sadly called the Pigger here in NZ). As with lever actions, the forends of these rifles cannot be floated. But unlike the levers there is no tube magazine interference to contend with. Further to this, the hinged block which mates to the barrel is generally so solid as to act as a dampening force, enough to overcome the harmonic forces of the .44. The twist rate of the Rossi is 1:30 while the Bergara has a 1:20 twist. Both rifles can be coaxed to produce reasonable and sometimes outstanding accuracy.

For those wanting greater accuracy, the Ruger 77/44 bolt action is the pick of the crop. The Ruger with its 1:20 twist rate is much easier to accurize than the lever action and single shot rifles. The action can be bedded following basic principles without any need for further bedding / harmonic experimentation. The trigger can also be tuned without a great deal of fuss. This is the type of rifle that can be utilized for both snap shooting but also for taking careful neck shots between trees and scrub.

Practice is the key to confidence in the .44 as a hunting cartridge. Range tests can be started at 50 yards but all rifle loads should be confirmed at 100 yards in order for the shooter to be fully confident in the behavior of the rifle and loads. The lever actions (in any chambering) can at times display quite serious sighting / trajectory issues. One rifle may shoot so low at 50 yards that the ladder of the sights cannot be set high enough to get the rifle shooting dead on at 50 yards. Another may show the exact opposite results. Changing ammunition can also change the POI by 9” or more at 50 yards. In some instances a change in bullet weight can help to overcome sight ladder setting issues. In other instances an adjustable peep sight or scope may have to be used if the rifle has mounting options. Those tantalized by gimmicks may fit holo sights, suppressors, use self-emasculating subsonic loads and so forth. The more traditional hunters may simply prefer to use a 4 power Leupold scope to match potent hand loads and to help gather light. For those shooting across river flats a basic Leupold 3-9x40 helps a great deal with the more difficult shots. The most recent leupold Tri MOA scope is extremely useful, providing some drop compensation for the more difficult shots (125 to 150 yards).

Factory ammunition

Before we begin, readers are advised to take note that most published factory load data for the .44 Magnum is derived from 4” test barrels. Those using longer 6 to 7” barreled handguns should add an additional 150fps to approximate average velocities. Those using carbine rifles (16” or longer) should add an additional 400fps to the 4” barrel data. More information on this subject can be found via the excellent website Ballistics by the inch.

Remington, the original creator of the .44 Magnum currently produce four loadings for use in both handguns and rifles.

Remington list the 180 grain UMC jacketed soft point at a rated velocity of 1610fps from a 4” barrel (above 2100fps in 20” barreled rifles). Gone is the Remington UMC 180 grain semi jacketed hollow point. Although designed primarily for self defense against humans, both loads are (or were) adequate for hunting game weighing around 20 to 60kg (44 to 132lb). Both bullets are capable of exiting light bodied game with crossbody shots.

Remington produce two 240 grain loadings under their High Terminal Performance (HTP) banner, a semi jacketed hollow point and a deeper penetrating jacketed soft point. Muzzle velocities are 1180fps from 4” barreled handguns and around 1600fps in carbines. From a handgun these velocities are too low to expect high wound trauma. Using either load, the handgun hunter should expect clean but delayed kills. From rifle barrels these loads are not fast enough to produce hydrostatic shock, but do produce wide and fast bleeding wounds at close ranges (inside 50 yards). Of the two loads, the hollow point produces broader wounding. The soft point should only be used where deep penetration is of the utmost importance.

At one time in the not so distant past Remington produced the 275 grain jacketed Core-Lokt hunting bullet, producing around 1200fps in handguns and 1600fps in rifles. This has since been replaced by the rather crudely named Hog Hammer load, featuring the 225 grain Barnes XPB loaded to a velocity of 1235fps. It should be noted that the XPB can vary in quality. In bullet making the copper needs to be of the highest grade and projectiles must be strategically weakened in order to promote expansion. The slightest change in quality can drastically alter results. Unfortunately, terminal performance of the XPB varies a great deal. Used at close ranges from a carbine, the XPB can produce desirable wounding along with excellent penetration. But at impact velocities below 1300fps the XPB, depending on batch quality, can fail to expand. The XPB is also a very long bullet, longer than a conventional 300 grain projectile, with the result that it can fail to obtain optimum stability. The XPB can therefore produce abysmal accuracy in various firearms. Whether used in a carbine or handgun issues surrounding both stability (accuracy) and quality (terminal performance) can render this bullet useless beyond 50 yards.

Winchester produce five loads for the .44 Magnum. The first is the 210 grain Silvertip hollow point which achieves around 1250fps in handguns and around 1650fps in rifles. Unlike the aluminum tipped rifle bullets of old, the word Silvertip merely alludes to the anti-corrosive Nickel plating on the handgun projectile. The bullet is otherwise almost identical to a Hornady XTP in its basic design. The Silvertip load is designed for self defense but is actually ideal for hunting lighter weight deer species at close ranges. The Silvertip does shed some weight at carbine rifle velocities, but not in any detrimental way. Penetration is limited more by the overall form of the expanded bullet than bullet weight loss. On the other hand it is this change in form which makes the Silvertip so effective on lighter medium game. Hunters should not overlook this bullet.

The 240 grain Winchester Super X hollow soft point has for many years been the standard load used by Australian and Kiwi pig hunters when shooting over dogs. This load is rated at 1180fps but shows excellent results in carbines, boasting velocities of up to and over 1750fps. The Super X features a semi jacket with a good deal of exposed lead to promote rapid expansion, being similar to Remington’s 240 grain loading. The 240 grain HP is too slow moving (even at carbine rifle velocities) to produce much in the way of nervous trauma, but it does generate broad internal wounding at impact velocities above 1400fps. At lower speeds and in the absence of any major hydraulic forces, the HP is reliant on mechanical wounding but manages to do so via its wide frontal area. The Super X is a very basic conventional bullet design yet like the Remington load, it performs very well. The only negative I have been able to find with such loads is the somewhat delayed killing that occurs on light or lean game in comparison to 180 to 200 grain bullets. But when it comes to tough game such as mature wild boar, the 240 grain HP proves to be the more reliable bullet weight

Winchester also produce a very basic 240 grain Super X jacketed soft point load which produces similar velocities to its hollow point counter part. This is a slow to expand, deep penetrating bullet design. Even at rifle speeds, the JSP will retain most of its weight when used at close ranges. Although very basic in design, the old Super X JSP can be used on relatively large animals, handling heavily shielded mature wild boar without issues.

The 240 grain Dual Bond is one of Winchesters more recent designs. Muzzle velocity is rated at 1300fps for handguns, producing an average of around 1800fps in carbine rifles. The Dual Bond is to some extent over engineered and by the same token, sometimes overrated. The projectile features an outer copper jacket bonded to an inner jacket. While the outer jacket expands outwards as per a traditional bullet design, the inner jacket feature claws which hold the lead core in much the same manner as a jewellery setting within a ring. Regardless of this technology, the Dual Bond can at times shed its outer jacket while the inner jacket and core may peel back like a banana skin, especially when used at carbine rifle velocities. Sometimes the Dual Bond stays together, other times it comes apart, depending on impact velocity and target resistance. When the Dual Bond stays together, it produces fairly atypical .44 Magnum performance – a wide fast bleeding wound and relatively deep penetration. This is a fairly useful bullet, but again, somewhat over engineered and overrated. The .44 was adequate for many decades before this bullet design came along.

The final load from Winchester is the 250 grain Platinum load rated at 1250fps, producing around 1650fps in carbine rifles. This projectile has the same nickel plating as the 210 grain Silvertip and is also designed to produce extremely rapid expansion. The Platinum bullet expands to around .75” which is about normal for .44 caliber hollow point ammunition. The Platinum projectile also sheds some weight but like other .44 pills, the low impact velocities help to ensure that weight loss is not dramatic. Hydraulic and mechanical forces are maximized via the major change in form after the bullet impacts its target, the bullet mushrooming back until its width exceeds its length. The platinum bullet does not therefore produce superior penetration to common 240 grain loads, but it still produces excellent performance and is well suited to medium sized deer species and wild boar.

Federal currently produce ten loads for the .44 Magnum, enough to confuse and frustrate the most patient of customers.

Federals Powershok budget loads feature a 180 grain jacketed hollow point at a true 1650fps in pistols and over 2100fps in rifles, along with a 240 grain jacketed hollow point at 1350fps for pistols and around 1750fps in rifles. The 180 grain Powershok is a very useful bullet for hunting light bodied deer. When used at close ranges the 180 grain bullet produces both wide wounding along with some measure of nervous trauma. The 180 grain projectile does shed weight quickly but the trade off can be worth it due to its very fast killing performance. There are many situations where a slow moving 240 grain bullet has too much momentum and while wounds may look great in gelatin, killing is slow along with almost nonexistent blood trails. The 180 grain Powershok is by contrast an excellent choice for game weighing up to around 60kg (132lb).

Along with the budget Powershok ammunition, Federal produce two 240 grain American Eagle loads featuring JSP and JHP projectiles. Neither of these loads are structurally weakened and without skives in their ogives to help promote expansion at low impact velocities, both are designed as practice or utility loads. These loads are nevertheless commonly used by hunters, especially in New Zealand. Of the two designs, the Hollow point bullet produces relatively uniform results when used in carbine rifles, displaying acceptable expansion and penetration on medium game. Velocities are also acceptable at around 1750fps in lever action rifles.

The 240 grain Hydrashok was at one time a premium bullet designed for law enforcement. The Hydrashok features a stake within the center of the projectile acting as reinforcement. In practice the Hydrashok really does not behave all that differently to other basic conventional handgun designs, in fact it often sheds some weight which can greatly aid wounding. This is a generally good bullet design, behaving like so many other 240 grain projectiles. It would perhaps be much easier for customers if federal would stick to just one basic design (the Powershok) rather than confusing customers with all of these options.

Federal’s premium loads include the 225 grain Barnes XPB at 1280fps and 1650fps respectively, the 240 grain Fusion at 1300 and 1800fps, the 270 grain Hammer Down for rifles at 1700fps, the 280 grain Swift at 1170 and 1550fps, and finally the 300 grain Cast Core large game hunting bullet loaded to 1160fps and 1550fps respectively from a carbine rifle.

Having already discussed the 225 grain XPB (Remington factory ammunition), there is little more to be said about this California friendly Prius.

The 240 grain Fusion is rather unique for a bonded projectile. When used in a carbine at close ranges the Fusion may expand back until it almost completely loses its form and can lose significant weight during this process. The Fusion does not ‘blow up’ but delivers all of its energy through this gradual weight shedding process. Below 1300fps, performance tends to be more sedate, yet the Fusion bullet regardless of its bonding still manages to expand to a wide diameter. While this bullet may not be ideal for large game, whether fired in a rifle or handgun, it is a good medium game hunting bullet due to its ability to produce high wound trauma.

The Hammer Down is the latest from Federal, featuring a case with a tapered rim to help speed up side gate feeding, important for those who cannot kill an animal with less than 10 shots. The Hammer Down projectile is also tapered to ease cycling. The 270 grain bonded soft point bullet is unfortunately not ideal with regards to the principles of fast expansion at low impact velocities. This load is however capable of deep penetration and one can apparently easily make up for any slow bleeding wounds by rapidly feeding an entire box of ammo through the lever gun.

The 280 grain Swift A-Frame features a large hollow point along with skives in the jacket to help promote rapid and full expansion. The A-Frame is bonded and also features a partitioned (protected) rear core. This load is designed primarily for defense against bear and or for hunting large bodied game but one should not simply aim at fur, pull the trigger and expect game to fly backwards as per a Dirty Harry action flick. In order to achieve fast killing shots must be kept well forwards and driven into major bones in order to enhance wounding effects. Those who think otherwise may be better off trying Federal’s ‘where there’s lead in the air there is hope’ Hammer Down ammo. More information on the A-Frame can be found within the hand loading section of this text.

Federal’s heavy weight bullet, the 300 grain Cast Core is designed for one purpose - deep penetration. That said, the Cast Core has a semi wadcutter (flat nose) profile to promote hydraulic shock. As with other hard cast lead bullets of this style, the federal bullet is fully capable of penetrating large game end for end. As for hydraulic wounding potential, readers should refer to the performance section of this article. NB: This load will eventually be replaced by the Federal Syntech bullet, featuring a polymer jacket.

Hornady list five loads for the .44 Magnum. Unfortunately, the 180 grain XTP is no longer among these loads. Current loads include the 200 grain XTP at 1500fps (7.5” test barrel) and 1900fps in carbine rifles, the new 200 grain MonoFlex (not available at this time of writing), the 225grain FTX producing 1400fps and 1800fps respectively, the 240 grain XTP at 1350fps and 1700fps, and finally the heavy 300 grain XTP at 1150fps and around 1400fps in carbine rifles.

The 200 grain XTP is an excellent compromise bullet weight. This bullet is light enough for Hornady to drive it at a velocity which promotes broad wounding but has sufficient sectional density to withstand jacket core separation when used on medium game. At close ranges (handgun and rifle) this projectile can produce wounds up to and over 2.5” in diameter, resulting in very fast kills, though game may run a short distance at impact velocities below 1600fps. There are many situations where this bullet may be useful and hunters should keep this load in mind.

The 225 grain FTX is another compromise of sorts. The projectile features a soft rubber tip to prevent detonation in tube magazine rifles. This does make one think about the trend towards tough all copper bullets without such safety measures, however perhaps it is best to not pursue such lines of thinking. The FTX borrows from the Hornady Critical defense and Critical Duty bullet designs. In this case, as it is with the .450 Bushmaster load, the FTX is more akin to the tougher Duty projectile. The 225 grain FTX is in some ways contradictory. On the one hand 225 grains is a good middle weight, meeting plenty of resistance when striking lighter weight game along with adequate penetration on larger medium game such as mature boar. Internal wounds at woods ranges are normally in excess of 2” in diameter, much like other conventional .44 caliber hollow point bullet designs. The pointed bullet tip should also in theory help flatten its trajectory. But in reality the tapered ogive tends to delay energy transfer on light game. As a contrast to this, the 225 grain is not all that spectacular on larger animals. One can easily make 125 yard shots using the FTX in a carbine, but game tend to run some distance before sitting down and then finally bleeding out. As a hunting bullet the FTX does not outperform the XTP. But it is hard to state whether this is the fault of the FTX or whether it simply shows how good the XTP was to begin with.

The 240 grain XTP is a traditional all rounder. It has been used to take scores of game across many countries and over many years with little fuss. Jacket core separation is non existent with the XTP at impact velocities of 1600fps and below. The 240 grain XTP can penetrate the vitals of game weighing between 60 and 80kg (132 to 176lb) with tail on shots but this is the absolute limit of its performance. Were the XTP made tougher, it would not produce such good wounding performance.

The 300 grain XTP requires careful consideration. This projectile is designed to expand at very low velocities, but due to its weight and therefore impact velocities (both handgun and rifles), wounding is proportionate rather than disproportionate to the expanded caliber of the bullet (around .75”). At impact velocities of around 1100 to 1200fps the heavy 300 grain XTP can produce a small measure of hydraulic force but internal wounds may not exceed 1.5” in diameter. This is no fault of the bullet and instead, merely an indication of the limitations of this cartridge. The 300 grain XTP is a conventional cup and core bullet, suitable for hunting medium to large bodied deer. More on this topic is discussed in the hand loading section.

Please note that I have omitted several current brands, some due to my inability to access test ammunition and others (budget brands), due to the fact that they do not bring anything unique to the table.

Hand loading

Two of the very best powders for reloading the .44 Magnum include Winchester 296 and Hodgdon H110, which if I am not mistaken, have for some years been the same powder. From a 7.5” hunting revolver barrel typical working velocities for the .44 Magnum include 1900fps with the 180 grain XTP, 1750fps with 200 grain bullets, 1600fps with 225 grain bullets, 1500fps with 240 grain bullets, 1400fps with 265-270 grain bullets and up to 1300fps using 280 to 300 grain bullets.

From a 16 to 20” barreled carbine top velocities include 2300fps with 180 grain bullets, 2100fps with 200 grain bullets, 1900fps with 225 grain bullets, 1800fps with 240 grain bullets, 1600fps with 265-270 grain bullets, 1500fps with the 280 grain Swift and 1400fps with heavy 300 grain loads.

As an aside, those who have experimented with the .44 Magnum will know all too well that one can neither download (due to safety issues), nor compress H110 powder. Maximum velocities are instead directly proportionate to case capacity – max fill without compression. To this end I have spent some time experimenting with 300 grain projectiles seated longer than SAAMI length. At a cartridge overall length of 42.5mm or 1.675”, it is possible to drive both the 300 grain Sierra and 300 grain Hormady XTP along at a comfortable 1580fps. Longer loads (44.5mm / 1.750”) can break 1600fps with relative ease. Be aware that not all rifles will cycle such loads. But in rifles that can take a longer COAL it can be worth experimenting with high speed loads for the sake of enhanced bullet stability (accuracy) and terminal performance - provided the hand loader does not compromise safety.

The exact opposite to this enhanced performance can be seen when employing a homogenous copper projectile. It is important to understand that solid copper bullets can produce problems in any of the handgun cartridge designs including the .44 Magnum. The overly long projectiles can completely ruin case capacity, raise pressures and may also produce terrible accuracy depending on twist rates. Readers are advised to take extra caution if using these bullet designs.

From Hornady, current reloading options include the 180 grain XTP, the 200 grain XTP, the 225 grain FTX, the 265 grain FTX and finally the 300 grain XTP.

The 180 grain XTP is devastating when used on light bodied game (under 60kg / 132lb) at close ranges. At carbine rifle speeds the 180 grain XTP achieves a great deal of both hydraulic and mechanical force, leading to very fast kills. This projectile does however produce limited penetration averaging around 12” when driven at carbine speeds into flesh and bone at close ranges.

The 200 grain XTP fairs much better on light bodied game where raking shots may be encountered while still delivering broad, fast bleeding wounds. Those wishing to handload the .44 for White Tail deer are advised to start with this bullet as it offers the best balance of all factors for hunting lighter weight medium game. At carbine rifle speeds a measure of bullet weight shedding is to be expected, but to the benefit of wounding. New Zealand and Australian pig hunters should also take note that this bullet may be selected if one is trying to prevent over penetration. But along with this, it is important to understand that when loading for reduced penetration, the bullet should be driven fast as a means to increase target resistance and not slow as some hand loaders tend to believe. These are basic fundamental principles of physics.

Hornady’s 225 grain pointed FTX bullet is designed to produce superior external ballistics in comparison to traditional flat or flat hollow point projectiles. The 225 grain weight also appears to be a compromise between the excellent energy dumping characteristics of the 200 grain bullet weight versus the relatively deep penetration produced by a 240 grain pill. The result can be described as fair. In practice, the pointed ogive of the FTX tends to cause a slight delay in expansion which can help to enhance penetration. By the same token, the FTX produces full expansion without need of any great resistance. These mechanical aspects aside, the FTX does not by its pointed form, turn the .44 into a flat shooter or enhance its terminal ballistics effects at extended ranges. In plain terms, shots taken at 100 yards will produce delayed kills. The gear-head in me would suggest that the best way to put this bullet to use is to load it hot (I could be accused of saying this about many cartridges) in order to enhance terminal performance. Those who prefer more sedate loads may prefer to simply match bullet weights to the job at hand, opting for either the 200 grain XTP for light framed deer or the 240 grain XTP for larger bodied animals.

The 240 grain XTP is another all rounder from Hornady but it should be noted that kills on light bodied or lean deer species are not as fast as that which can be obtained with the 200 grain bullet. The 240 grain bullet generally comes into its own when either A) expected game weights or species are unknown or B) when hunting medium to larger bodied deer species (Mule / Red deer / boar). Having said this, mild impact velocities may still lead to relatively long dead runs, regardless of how well the bullet has been matched to the job at hand. In order to avoid such disappointments, shots should be placed well forwards (major bones etc.). The 240 grain XTP is not an immensely deep penetrating bullet but will generally handle quartering shots on the fore mentioned game. Those who do not know where else to start (deer and boar) may wish to start with this traditional bullet, hunt for a time, assess killing performance and make changes (weight / toughness) accordingly thereafter.

The 265 grain flat point (designed for the .444 Marlin) has now largely been replaced by the 265gr FTX. Both were designed for the more potent .444 Marlin. Of the two projectiles, the rubber tipped FTX has a weaker (hollow) ogive, making this somewhat better (rapid expansion) for those wishing to utilize a 265 grain bullet in the slower .44 Magnum. Although this bullet has not been designed for the .44, the 265 grain FTX offers a means for the handloader (carbines) to increase one’s bullet weight while (provided one does not shoot too far) avoiding impact velocities lower than 1300fps.

Hornady’s 300 grain XTP produces expansion without need of heavy hide or bone resistance. Whether loaded to handgun or rifle velocities some measure of expansion is assured out to and beyond 100 yards. The former iteration of this projectile featured a double cannelure, allowing it to be seated long in some revolvers as well as single shot actions. Whether it was expressly designed for this purpose, I cannot say. Whatever the case, a long COAL allowed more room for powder when hand loading and therefore allowed hand loaders to achieve higher velocities. But in addition to this, the cannelures helped to prevent jacket core separation due to the heavy crimps and also by structurally weakening the jacket so that it folded back against the body of the bullet rather than flattening out and becoming like a parachute with the core ejecting thereafter. Penetration of the former bullet could be considered fair, useful for cross body and lightly quartering shots on large bodied deer but unsuitable for heavily raking shots or heavy boned game.

The current single cannelure 300 grain bullet is harder to put a ring around. One can still seat this bullet long and simply apply a crimp away from the cannelure – no big deal. But whether loaded in a handgun or at top speeds in a rifle, this projectile has some limitations, partly due to its design and partly as a result of the limitations of this cartridge. A generic cup and core hollow point handgun bullet tends to shed a good deal of weight down to impact velocities of around 1600fps. From 1600 to 1300fps the bullet may continue to shed some weight. At these speeds the change in bullet form (expansion) produces an energy exchange (hydraulic force) while the small measure of weight loss also aids mechanical wounding. At 1300fps and below, weight loss tends to be minimal. Wounds are proportionate to the expanded caliber of the bullet though some minor evidence of hydraulic force may remain evident down to impact velocities of around 1200fps. The 300 grain XTP falls within all of these parameters with one caveat; when used in a rifle (impact velocities over 1300fps) the XTP can suffer a dramatic change in form and or significant weight loss after striking heavy bone. When used in a rifle the current iteration of this projectile can perhaps best be described as being suited to Red deer and boar, having a small measure of additional insurance in comparison to the 240 grain XTP.

Generally speaking, book loads for the 300 grain XTP see it leaving the muzzle of a carbine at between 1300 and 1400fps, resulting in impact velocities of around 1200 to 1300fps when used at close ranges. But unfortunately, at these impact velocities (including those achieved in handguns), dead runs may be long with internal wounds ranging between 1 and 1.5” in diameter. Tough game such as Sambar may run so far as to be lost to the hunter. A hot carbine load tends to produce faster kills but at the risk of more stress to the bullet should it strike heavy bone and therein lies the rub. Used as intended, the XTP works well. Hand it over to the Nathan Fosters of the world and all bets are off.

The 300 grain XTP can generally handle quartering shots on medium to large bodied deer but will not always overcome heavy ball joints, nor will it penetrate a long way through gut fiber. Were Hornady to make this bullet tougher, dead runs would be longer. In my experience the double cannelure of the former bullet helped to enhance penetration without sacrificing wound potential but this projectile also had its limitations. In plain terms, the 300 grain XTP is no African bullet. It can be used on medium to large bodied deer but hunters are advised to maintain realistic expectations.

Sierra projectiles include the 180 grain Jacketed Hollow Cavity (JHC), the 210 grain JHC, the 240 grain JHC, the 250 grain FPJ and the 300 grain JSP.

The 180 grain JHC can be a fun little projectile to work with. Driven fast (over 2000fps), this bullet can shed a lot of weight (also including its jacket) but the energy dump is emphatic. Like the 180 grain Hornady XTP, this bullet is best suited to very light framed game.

Sierra’s 210 grain JHC is 30 grains heavier than its 180 grain kin and 30 grains lighter than the 240 grain pill, making it a true compromise between the two weights. Like the 200 grain XTP, the advantages of this general weight range should not be ignored. At this weight we can experience good speed (regarding hydraulic wounding potential) but without greatly sacrificing penetration. A small amount of exposed lead ahead of the jacket (on all three JHC projectiles) can, as a result of weight / mass shedding, also aid mechanical wounding. Here again is another go to bullet for .44 Magnum users for general deer hunting.

The 240 grain JHC opens quickly and produces good wounding on larger bodied deer species or tough game such as mature boar. Again like the XTP, this bullet can be used as an all rounder but some may find that on lean game kills may be somewhat delayed, while on very large animals penetration (raking shots) is fair but not outstanding. This bullet is at its very best when used on Red, Mule deer or Elk as the upper limit.

The 250 grain JFP is a very basic flat point, primarily designed for silhouette shooting but as Sierra state, this bullet can be used as a deep penetrating hunting projectile. Without a hollow point or skives, the JFP is slow to expand. As a hunting bullet it is best suited to carbine rifles and impact velocities above 1400fps (including the .444 Marlin) if major wound trauma (expansion combined with good hydraulic action) is to be expected. This bullet produces deep penetration in comparison to the JHC projectiles. It can be used to take heavily raking shots on medium deer species, but with some reduction in wounding potential.

Sierra’s 300 grain JSP is a very tough projectile, featuring a heavy jacket and high antimony core. The tapered ogive terminates to produce a narrow frontal area and does nothing to promote hydraulic wounding while the heavy construction can greatly inhibit expansion and therefore mechanical wounding potential. This projectile will often produce zero expansion in the .44 Magnum and is far better suited to the .444 Marlin. Sierra state that this bullet was designed for hunting dangerous game and there can be no doubt that this projectile produces very deep penetration. But without the meplat of a Keith style bullet, shot placement must be absolutely sound if using this projectile in the .44 Magnum. A failure to strike the CNS or heavy bone as a means to generate secondary wounding effects will invariably result in delayed kills.

Speer projectiles include the 200 grain Gold Dot Personal Protection (deep hollow point), the 210 grain Gold Dot Personal Protection (shallow dish shaped hollow point), the 240 grain Gold Dot Deep Curl Hunting bullet (shallow dish shaped hollow point), the 240 grain Deep Curl Hunting soft point and finally the 270 grain Deep Curl Hunting soft point. All are bonded designs, first introduced as the Gold Dot but thereafter divided into sub-branded product lines (Deep Curl) and categorizations (hunting vs personal protection).

The 200 grain Gold Dot is designed for use in the .44 Special, chugging along at around 875fps. Anyone who has used the .44 Special for hunting will know that one cannot expect large wounds at such low impact velocities. A soft conventional cup and core bullet like the Hornady 180 grain XTP will expand to a diameter of around a half an inch at an impact velocity of 1000fps, producing a wound of about the same diameter. It is therefore no small feat to create a bonded bullet capable of broad expansion down to impact velocities of around 800fps as is the case with the Gold Dot. Being that it is designed for such low speeds, the 200 grain Gold Dot cannot be expected to produce optimum performance at .44 Magnum handgun or rifle speeds. Nevertheless, the 200 grain Gold Dot has merit as a high velocity hunting bullet and should not be overlooked. Loaded to velocities over 2000fps the Gold Dot sheds a great deal of weight, but so to do conventional 200 grain bullets. The 200 grain Gold Dot is an excellent choice for hunting lighter medium game (e.g. White Tail) due to its ability to produce massive wound trauma out to ranges beyond 100 yards as a result of both hydraulic force and what I call mechanical action as a result of bullet weight / mass shedding. Due to its core bonding this weight shedding action can be classed as gradual fragmentation. The 200 grain is an excellent choice for lighter bodied medium game.

The 210 grain Gold Dot Personal Protection is a problematic design. This is a relatively deep penetrating bullet due to the fact that the shallow hollow point does not initiate rapid expansion, this unfortunately comes at the expense of wounding. Yet the 210 grain weight and SD cannot be classed as being ideal for defense against heavy game. In order to enhance the performance of this projectile it can be drilled down to its gold dot with a 9/16 drill bit. This alteration can cause some weight loss during penetration (impact velocities over 1600fps) but makes for a more useful fast killing hunting projectile which can easily tackle medium sized deer species and wild boar.

The 240 grain Deep Curl Hunting hollow point bullet is identical to the 210 grain projectile, differing only in weight. This can sometimes prove to be a somewhat ho hum design but again with a few tricks it can be made to suit various hunting situations. For light to medium weight game the 240 grain DCHP produces best performance when drilled down to its central gold dot using a 9/16 drill bit. Without this modification the dished hollow point can be slow to expand, producing narrow wounds on light to medium weight deer species. I must at this point emphasize the word slow. The 240 grain DCHP will expand, therefore the overall quality of this projectile should not be brought into question. But with a drilled hollow point, the DCHP opens up quickly, produces more violent wounding and with only a minor decrease in penetration. If hunting large and tough bodied game with a carbine the dished hollow point can be left unaltered. As for the 240 grain soft point, I do not recommend this (or the 270 grain soft point) bullet for general medium game hunting with a .44 Magnum due to slow expansion and therefore delayed energy transfer (limited wounding). This bullet is best suited to very tough game, those that offer plenty of resistance to help promote full expansion.

The 270 grain Speer DC soft point is a deep penetrating bullet, designed primarily to be utilized in the .444 Marlin for hunting and or defense against large and or possibly dangerous animals. As previously mentioned, this bullet can be slow to expand, especially at handgun speeds. Without any guide to center a drill bit, any attempt to hollow point this projectile (for use on lean game) will upset its balance. But such matters are perhaps beside the point. The 270 grain DCSP is designed for large animals and works well in this role. It can be used in both the .44 Magnum and .444 to good effect but at lower impact velocities it is best driven into major bone in order to help promote expansion and secondary missile wounding.

Nosler currently produce four projectiles for the .44 Magnum which include a 200 grain JHP, a 240 grain JHP, a 240 grain JSP and a 300 grain JHP. Gone from this line is the 250 grain Partition, a sad loss for .44 users. Although the Nosler bullets look very much like those produced by Sierra, the Nosler handgun projectiles lack skives to help promote expansion at low impact velocities. Those who have used cheap PMC, American Eagle or Highland (PPU) .44 magnum cup and core ammunition will be familiar with the terminal performance of these bullet designs. The lack of skives can help to aid penetration at higher impact velocities but can also limit wounding at low impact velocities. Killing is fast above 1600fps and delayed below this speed, penetration is adequate on medium game.

Swift currently produce 240, 280 and 300 grain .44 caliber A-Frame hollow point projectiles. The A-Frame may be more expensive than most but in demanding situations these projectiles produce an excellent balance of expansion versus deep penetration. Although both the Speer and Swift A-Frame projectiles are bonded, the Swift pills feature deep hollow points. The Swift design also features the partitioned rear core which Nosler have since kicked to the curb.

Being a non-weight shedding bullet design, the Swift handgun projectiles are reliant on bullet expansion. At impact velocities over 1300fps a good measure of hydraulic force may be evident. Below 1300fps, wounds are proportionate to expanded caliber of the bullet. It should be noted that most 240 to 300 grain .44 caliber conventional cup and core bullets will retain close to 100% weight during penetration – most of the time and the bonding of the Swift A-Frame ensures this remains the case. These projectiles don’t break up on heavy bone (including ball joints) and especially at carbine rifle speeds (and or saboted muzzle loaders).

The Swift A-Frame is about as far as one can take the .44 Magnum for use on large bodied game without making compromises. For example, one could increase wounding potential by utilizing a weight shedding bullet, but penetration would be reduced. One could on the other hand adopt a hard cast bullet but then wounding potential would be reduced, especially at impact velocities below 1300fps. At low impact velocities the Swift projectiles won’t deal to a bear in the same manner as a large caliber rifle, but one would be hard pushed to find a better large game bullet for the .44. The 280 grain bullet is an especially welcome option as this helps to keep impact velocities over the 1300fps (hydraulic action) threshold.

Some mention should also be made here for those wishing to load to subsonic velocities. Most .44 caliber projectiles are designed to expand at velocities as low as 800fps. The XTP for example will generally expand all the way down to 700fps. Having said this, the most minute change in projectile materials (batch quality) and target resistance will affect results. The .44 is by far and away more reliable than the likes of the .300 Blackout factory loaded to subsonic speeds with the 208 grain A-MAX (ELD-M) which simply will not expand. But expansion of .44 projectiles can still be limited. Ideally, in order to obtain disproportionate to caliber wounding in the absence of hydraulic force (i.e. at very low impact velocities), the bullet must shed weight. But alas, handgun bullets tend to shed little weight at impact velocities below 1100fps, especially those designed to tackle large game. The subsonic hunter must therefore select a bullet which boasts an already wide frontal area and produces as much expansion as possible. The .44 is infinitely better in this role than the .30 caliber but it should also be noted that the .45 (ACP projectiles) tend to trump all. The basic Sierra and Hornady .44 caliber bullets perform acceptably well in this role but where weaknesses are found, they must be addressed. If bullet expansion is poor, the hand loader should obtain a set of needle files (any engineers supplies) and make efforts to further weaken the bullet jacket at the skives (helpful on the 240 and 300 grain XTP). Additional hollow point modifications can also be useful. Loads can also be tweaked. For example, some hand loaders drop too low, settling on muzzle velocities of around 900fps. For the sake of both trajectory and wound potential, one should try to keep muzzle velocities above 1000fps.

Unfortunately, subsonic hunting is a fad, popular among this comfort seeking, instant gratification generation. It is the anti of everything Elmer Keith had worked toward for this cartridge. Subsonic plinking may be fun but subsonic hunting is no sport for the casual shooter. Without effort and attention to detail, animals will suffer. I suggest that before readers take up subsonic hunting they stop for a moment to have a think about the work Elmer Keith put into this cartridge and what he might say were he alive today.

A last word must go to hard cast bullet designs such as those produced by the Grizzly Cartridge Company (Cast Performance) and Beartooth bullets. A wide meplat projectile can deliver disproportionate to caliber wounding as a result of hydraulic action. But the reader must also understand that velocity plays a major role in this equation. As impact velocities approach and fall below 1300fps, hydraulic action diminishes. Room for error (shot placement) diminishes accordingly. It was for this very reason that Elmer Keith worked towards higher case volumes (velocities). Readers who wish to learn more on this subject can find information in my article – The effects of the meplat on terminal performance.

This concludes the hand loading section for the .44 Magnum. Readers will note that I have given little mention to the various copper bullet designs. My only advice here is to be cautious. A long copper bullet can cause a major reduction in case capacity (velocity potential) and play merry hell with accuracy due to insufficient twist. If experimenting with copper, test for accuracy and test for expansion across the velocity spectrum by whatever means possible.

Closing comments

The .44 Magnum is a potent little cartridge and a great deal of fun to shoot. The carbines make for useful farm tools and compact hunting rifles while handguns are guaranteed to put an ear to ear grin on any shooters face. But like all cartridges, the .44 Magnum has its strengths and limitations. This cartridge is best utilized for woods hunting, regardless of the many long shots that have been taken with it. Having said this, in order to obtain optimum results I advise all .44 shooters to work toward optimum accuracy and to study trajectories out to and beyond 100 yards. Like any tool, the more you get to know the .44, the better it can be put to use.

I crunched some numbers for typical .44 rifle loads . But a major * DISCLAIMER* -

Ft Lbs per se aren't great yardstick of game performance . The .44 load with most " energy" isn't the best for deer . Furthermore , the 20ga slug sheds velocity a lot faster , and the comparisons will be different even at 50 or 75 yds .

The .44 loads that come closest * at the muzzle * are the 180 gr with 2100- ish ft lb . But a 180gr JHP @ 2100 fps will blow up , and severely underpenetrate . It would be more suitable for groundhog at rifle velocity ( and most 180gr are marked on the box for revolver use only ) .

Probably the best deer hunting bullet weight is 240 - ish , either a controlled expansion JHP like an XTP , or a cast bullet of 240- 255 gr .

If the discussion turns to Elk , Moose , big Bears , etc , .45-70 can have lots of potential , with corresponding recoil .

Wardove

Jul 23, 2017
    Blairsville, GA
    I shoot 44 mag 10 and 14 inch contenders, mostly the 14 with a red dot on top. With Vitavouri 110 and Sierra 210 soft points I get 2150 fps for one TON of energy. Gotta hang on to it! The Hornady 200 XTP is too light, 240 or 300s work fine. Accuracy was well under 3 inches for 5 shots at a hundred and very little drop for any of those loads. I loaded Barnes soft points with good results also. Even loaded 265 grain Barnes soft point load for old model 29 that I carried to Alaska. After sitting around edges of willow thickets for a week with it, I promptly bought a 454 when I got back from Alaska. I feel the critters should be more afraid than me.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Go with .45-70 Government. (It's the ONLY Government that I truly trust!)

From 'mild to wild', the .45-70 can do it (and has done it)!!!

A 405 gr WLNGC boolit, lumbering along at 1600+/- fps will knock a deer on his butt, easily.

Very accurate. Easy on the shoulder. The .45-70 is my favorite caliber, out of all of the rifles I own. (And to be honest, I own a LOT of different calibers! Heck, I own FIVE .45-70 rifles!)

Alliant (formerly Hercules) Reloader 7 powder and Cast Performance 405 gr WLNCC is the only thing I load for .45-70.

Don't get me wrong.............. I love the .44 Magnum, too, but, IF I 'had' to choose a deer (or T-Rex) killing caliber, it would be .45-70.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For that matter , back in the day , BP loaded 405gr RN would completely penetrate Buffalo at 1,000 yds . You just had to judge the distance and deal with the rainbow trajectory .

But that is outside of the OP's criteria for Whitetail inside 100yds .

Heck , I'm slacking with only three .45-70 rifles plus Contender .

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Funds are tight and going to be tight for the foreseeable future, I had sworn off any new gun purchases in 2022,, but may be able to squeeze one in :)

The Marlin S.S. guidegun in 45-70 and laminate has always been dream gun of mine that I really had no use for, other than shooting a T-Rex or outlaw oil company security forces (Windriver movie).

I do a ton of MD deer hunting, and have been using a 20ga H&R USH in thumbhole for the last 10 years.
    With the inclusion of SWC rifles, I have been looking hard at a 44mag carbine (Ruger 44 carbine, Ruger 96/44, Marlin 44 trapper lever, Henry X series 44)

Sad truth is, I can not justify the practical 44 deer gun AND the 45-70 dream gun. But may be able to swing buying one or the other.
    Eventually I was going to picking up a 44mag revolver for my fishing/hunting trips with my Son in law in western bear country.

Question: Could a 45-70 be loaded down to mimic a 44 mag in energy and felt recoil? cost difference between factory loads AND reloading of the 44mag and 45-70.

A single shot 44 mag available.

https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/shooting/guns/new-guns/rifles/centerfire-single-shot/

45/70 lever action in stock
    https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/category.cfm/outdoors/lever-action-rifles/of3/45-70-government

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    My vote

Attachments

• 75392683_10220853739641981_4306400185409339392_n.jpg
      75392683_10220853739641981_4306400185409339392_n.jpg
      33.1 KB · Views: 82

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics