• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hilpala

Dec 16, 2011
    Ft Washington, MD
    Greeting all!

I'm a soon to be Colt Match Competition HBAR II (MT6731) 5.56/.223 owner. I am buying this very lightly used firearm from a longtime family friend ($500) and he lives in Charlottesville, VA. I am a resident of MD and have been researching the transfer laws, as I do not want this to be an illegal transaction. I've checked the laws and regulated firearms chart and found this model exempt from assault rifle regulations.

I have been told that I will have to either 1) have the item shipped from a FFL dealer to another one, where I'd have to pay the transfer fee in MD; 2) Purchase the item via a VA FFL facilitating the transaction; or 3) since it's not on the regulated list and it's a long rifle it can be transferred without recourse, only using a FLL for registration should I choose.

I've been browsing on here quite frequently as of late and will be looking to modify a few things. If you have any ideas on some parts to consider or even parts to stay away from please feel free in shooting those thoughts to me.

Background: I'm in Ft. Washington, MD (currently) I'm more into modifyin and drag racing Chevy's (track races only) but I assume this new found love will be just as addictive and expensive over time. My current line of defense is a Ruger KP345 .45 ACP , bought years ago. I'm from a family of hunters and plan to take my new purchase out after I acquaint myself better with this model.

Best regards!

Hil

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    As you already pointed out, it is a transfer of an MD non-regulated firearm between residents of two states. Since it does not have to go through MD police checks, federal transfer laws apply. Thus it needs to go through an FFL on one end.
    The following two possibilities exist.

1) You go through an FFL in Virginia
    2) You go through an FFL in MD - you don't need to ship it FFL to FFL but your friend can also ship it himself or bring it personally to the shop.

Just make sure you contact the dealer first and inquire about the transfer.

hilpala

Dec 16, 2011
    Ft Washington, MD
    Thanks Boule! You answered my question as concise as anyone could hope for. I talked to the MSP Regulated Firearms Registration Section just as I clicked this link and they stated the exact same thing. You definitely know your stuff and I appreciate the assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom