• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwmd

bigger is better
    Mar 24, 2012
    Sumter, South Carolina
    fired my first batch of 9mm (50)reloads today without any problems,,reused fed brass from range and tightgroup powder,,hrndy 115 fmj,,...first week after getting lee turret press,,,now to try 40s&w

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Nice job. There is something satisfying -when your roll your own ammo, and it does what you want it to. No doubt you will be addicted, and you might find yourself being a better shooter, since you can shoot more & more often! :thumbsup:

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Its a great feeling when you cook off your first batch. Just wait till you start looking at
    Guns cause you want to reload that cartarage!

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Congrats! Keep a dowel rod handy, I had a squib in my first batch of reloads that I made, forgot powder in one and the primer caused the bullet to lodge about 1.5 inches in the barrel.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    First Reloads

Congratulations, the first step is a giant one. I've been loading for more than 10 years and it is still satisfying both load and shoot that ammo.
    You will continue to learn new things all the time.
    (BTW, I also keep a squib rod in the bag)
    DocAitch

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Congratulations, the first step is a giant one. I've been loading for more than 10 years and it is still satisfying both load and shoot that ammo.
    You will continue to learn new things all the time.
    (BTW, I also keep a squib rod in the bag)
    DocAitch

i need to start doing that.. had my second squib last saturday.. lucky it was the last round and about to leave the range.. :o

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    There is nothing like the sense of accomplishment after firing your first reloads and realizing you still have a hand and fingers intact so you must have done something right. :D :lol2:

Congrats. :thumbsup:

I almost asked my dad to bring his welding helmet the first time I shot my reloads but thought it might have been too much. Can still count to 21 :)

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I have my first six .38 Special reloads sitting on the bench staring back at me with "What now?" looks. 5.0 grains Unique, 122 grain round nose flat tip lead slugs, Federal No. 1-1/2 small pistol primers. I'll try to summon the courage to light them off tomorrow. :ohnoes:

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Feels good when everything works the way it's supposed to, doesn't it? Congrats on what I hope is your first of many many batches to come!

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I remember the first time I fired my own reloads. 12 ga 1 1/8 oz load of #8 shot, my friends of the skeet field couldn't understand why I tied my gun to the picnic table and used a string to pull the trigger.

To date I have loaded and fired thousands of rounds both shot shells and metallic cartridge. While my loads haven't been flawless non were dangerous.

Be safe, pay attention, and follow the receipts. You will do fine.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I remember the first time I fired my own reloads. 12 ga 1 1/8 oz load of #8 shot, my friends of the skeet field couldn't understand why I tied my gun to the picnic table and used a string to pull the trigger.

To date I have loaded and fired thousands of rounds both shot shells and metallic cartridge. While my loads haven't been flawless non were dangerous.

yeah.. was about to do the same on my first reloads.. instead i let crazy al shoot them for me.. :lol2:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

I have to 1000% agree with you on this one. This is the main reason I got back in to reloading. Shotshells. I have gotten more and more involved in clays and wing-hunting over the past 3-4 years and commercial shotshells from the local stores just don't have enough bang to get the job done for me. Also cost was a major factor as well. $15.00 to $25.00 for a box of 25 shotshells that are "weak" is just too expensive to throw out of a barrel and not get the return you expect. If you have to tie the gun to the table, then you know you're getting money's worth.

My average reload is almost the same. I use a 12 gauge 2-3/4" with 1-1/4oz wad with #4 Copper Plated, or #7.5 shot, depending on the purpose of the shell, and I also use Hodgdon Clays powder.

To simplify my powder charge, I use the Lee dipper #3.4cc for my Goose and "Crow Hammers" reloads ( factory loads come in to play somewhere around 2.8 (light/Dove/Clay loads) / 3.1cc (High-Brass Remington Express Long Range for example or a Kent FastSteel load) But this recipe applies ONLY when using the dipper method )

I simply up'ed the charge by a few CC's and I got the charge I wanted. Basically what I ended up with was a 3-1/4" shotshell in a 2.75" reload ( this works out to about a pinch more than a 3" commercial load, but, not the power of a 3.5" commercial load ). Is it "dangerous" ? Absolutely not. Is it more effective ? Absolutely. I also use the Lee dipper 4.3 to measure my shot. It's a perfect measure.

I just reloaded this 100 box this past weekend. I like to keep plenty in stock.

Attachments

• Crow Hammers.jpg
      Crow Hammers.jpg
      26 KB · Views: 235

ShootR

Oct 7, 2009
    That's the same recipe I use, but a different loader. I always double check the powder drop. I also carry a wood dowel that others suggest, but have never had a squib. Just take your time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom