New to Maryland from PA... hello to the minority of proud gun owners!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psubowhunter

Sep 18, 2012
    I just graduated from Penn State and moved down here to Columbia to take a job as a project manager for a construction company. I am technically not a resident of Maryland until I pay a year of taxes, but I will be soon and just joined up today to be a part of the small community of gun owners here.

Was wondering a couple things if you locals could help.

1. Hunting... archery season starts early here! I rifle and bow hunt, and do some pheasant hunting with my shotgun. I know rifle is out of the question but does anyone know some good places to bow hunt around Columbia, or in MD in general? I'm seeing huge bucks walk around apartment complexes and peoples front yards here. It's crazy.

2. Fishing. Who fishes here? Where's some good bass fishing?

3. Gun ranges... where do you all shoot? I've heard of a lot of places that don't allow rifles. I'm in Columbia, any good ranges around here?

Thanks everyone.

And just for the record...

Remington 700 (.30-06)
    Remington 870 (12 gauge)
    Smith and Wesson 40VE (.40 s&w)
    Mosin Nagant M44 (7.62x54R)
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Loaded (.45 cal)
    M&P 15 (5.56 NATO)

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Hello and welcome!

I'm not a fisherman or an archer, just a gun guy. However, I'll leave the choice of ranges to Dave MP, who is a regular to the Introduction Section and take care of that...(thanks Dave MP).

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Welcome to the forum from Southern Maryland. The Maryland Firearms Community is not as small as many people think. Just ask our politicians, they recently learned that lesson.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Welcome

Welcome to the forum from Southern Maryland. The Maryland Firearms Community is not as small as many people think. Just ask our politicians, they recently learned that lesson.

Yep, quite a few PA transplants are in MD.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome. (Insert the usual about you moved in wrong direction.)

Columbia is within easy commuting distance of the AGC ranges.

Yes , the suburban deer are both large , and prevelent to the point of being nuisences. But the access to them is difficult and fragmentary. The *best* solution is to buy a house , and hunt your own backyard.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    Welcome! You'll be pleased to know that two of the forum's Industry Partners are a very short drive from Columbia.....2A Sales and Supplies and Accurate Pawn. Also well worth mentioning (though not an industry partner) is On Target indoor range in Severn.

I work in Columbia in a somewhat related field - shoot me a PM if you want to chat.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 115

psubowhunter

Sep 18, 2012
    Thanks everyone! It really is crazy how different the two neighboring states are. I'm used to concealed carrying almost everyday with my PA carry permit, which costs $20 for 5 years. Also, purchasing guns is great in PA. It takes 20 minutes for the paperwork, not 7 days. And there's no such things as "assault weapons;" there are rifles, shotguns, and handguns. We don't discriminate if a gun is black and looks mean. haha

Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    Welcome from Frederick, MD

Hunting: You may want to check on the outdoor sports board there are a lot of folks who hunt that area. Also rifle hunting is allowed but only in certain parts of western Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom