• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 2, 2013
    Hello all,
    I am new to this forum and need some help. I have read as much as I couldn't find regarding the transfer of a regulated firearm between family members. Everything I have found says I need to fill out a form and mail it to the Secretary of State police within five days. My question is where do I find said form? I called the number to the regulated firearms division of the state police and I was very rudely sent to a voicemail in the middle of a sentence. I have heard nothing back from my voice mail. I went to my local barracks and was told to call the number I already called. I tried going to bass pro shop thinking maybe it is a generic form but they would not give me a form and told me to contact msp.
    Also does anyone know if you can transfer two handguns from a family member at the same time? Or must I wait 30 days between each one?

Any help is better than what I have gotten so far. Thanks!

Below his everything I have found online regarding this.

Can the transfer of a regulated firearm be conducted between two family members?
    Yes, this type of transaction is considered a gift. The law stipulates, if the regulated firearm is a gift to the purchaser’s, spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, or child, the recipient shall:
    (1) Complete an application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm; and
    (2) Forward the application to the Secretary of the State Police within 5 days after receipt of the regulated firearm.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    you're right - their web site sucks and the form is no where to be found

it looks like maybe you have to request it from this email address: msp.firearmsregistration@maryland.gov

for normal folks, both the seller and the purchaser go to the MSP barracks, leave the gun legally stored in the car, and go inside and tell them why you are there. Then you do the forms and go outside and bring them the gun, and they do it while you wait

but for a gift, I believe you are correct. You already possess it more or less, so they make it a little easier

but they don't like making anything easy, which is why I think you need to request the form you need

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    Please let us know how the email address works. There are probably more than a few of us who may want to transfer to family members before 10/1. I have looked too and the form is nowhere to be found.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I was in a gun shop about a month ago when a father and son came in and asked the question. The kind salesman had them fill out a sheet (I didn't look at sheet...just assumed it was you normally fill out if buying a gun) and told them that he would send it in. They asked if they had to leave the handgun and the reply was "No, if there is a problem MSP will find you." That was it

Mar 2, 2013
    I had wondered if you could do that, the person at Bass Pro said no. I will try a local shop and see if I can make more progress there.
    Email was sent to the above email will see if I get a reply.
    Thanks

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Why not just go to a MSP barracks and tell them you want to do the transfer? If a FTF sale can be done at the Barracks, why can't a FTF gift be done there too? Think I would start with the Barracks and see where that got me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom