• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    My beloved (SAI) M1A is comparable to a SuperMatch, but, does NOT have the rear lug.

In my experience, the rear lug is going to need 'attention' to hog out/relieve the stock (any stock, btw!) for the lug to fit...... properly.

Unless you want/need/can shoot a full-blown Match rifle, it's not necessary.

Getting ANY M1A to be a real 'shooter' and keeping it that way, is going to be EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!

Take my 'word' on that, as gospel.

FWIW, my M1A WILL shoot 1" groups at 200 yards, and it cost plenty of $$$ to get it that way, too!

Lastly, here's 2¢ worth of free advise........ get the LRB or find an SAI. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    IMNSHO, don't fool with FA. :tdown::tdown:

All of the commercial receivers have dimensional problems including LRB. Most of the issues can be corrected by a good smith. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Fulton, LRB, or SA receiver. For a commercial venture to manufacture a true M14 spec receiver with all the quality checks the U.S. government used, would result in a commercial receiver that costs thousands not hundreds. Once again, all the commercial receivers have problem areas that a good M14 smith knows to look for. Even with the full backing of the U.S. government M14 production was plagued with a high rate of receivers that did not pass inspection. The difference is the government contract receivers had to be scrapped, the commercial versions that don't pass inspection (if there are any) still get shipped out the door for the smith to correct during assembly. Most receivers can be fixed, but occasionally one cannot.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    ^^^^this is why the Kuhnhausen book is nearly 400 pages long. And it ain't light reading. I respect any gunsmith who dedicates themselves to working on these... and can do it right. Therein lies the rub: or every guy who can do it right there are 25 (or more?) who either will half-ass it, cut corners or do bordereline dangerous things due to ignorance and negligence.

Literally anyone can slap together an AR. A little more know-how is needed to make them run really well and build them properly, but it's not that hard.

The M14/M1A is next level stuff. Over time I'd like to work on them professionally, but as a gunsmith who went to school and has spent about 3 years in the trade, even I don't feel ready to tackle it yet. When I have access to a full shop, and have spare time and money to burn it might happen. :)

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    In short: not easily. You will spend a fortune (hundreds of dollars) in tools, gauges and jigs.

If you're a machinist and have access to machines, it may be doable. At least you can make your own jigs. It's nowhere near as simple as assembling an AR from parts.

Check out the Jerry Kuhnhausen book on the .30 cal service rifle if you want to see what's involved.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB
    M1 is not made of Lego's and Tinkertoys like an AR.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Installing a barrel in an M1 or M1A receiver requires several expensive tools and a fair degree of mechanical aptitude.

At minimum you'd need:
    - barrel vise with correctly sized inserts
    - action wrench to fit receiver
    - pull through finish reamer and handle
    - set of headspace gauges
    - accurate level gauge
    - various different lapping compounds lap the bolt lugs to the receiver

Some of these items can be rented, but if you were to buy everything you need you could easily spend $600 or more. For a single gun it's just not worth it unless you are seriously into that kind of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom