• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gigliottit

Oct 12, 2013
    Hello,

This is my first post to this forum, so I hope I am posting this in the correct thread.

I am a PA resident (and I am sorry MD guys, but love our gun laws in comparison) but a large amount of my family, including my father, reside in MD.
    Myself and my Dad are both avid shooters, myself a little more so, and own multiple firearms purchased at or FFL transferred into our respective state of residency.

One type of firearm I do not own though is a shotgun and since I enjoy trap and skeet and even do a once a year father son trap and skeet shoot with him, I would like to ask him to buy me a shotgun for Christmas so I can practice up here without having to rent or use a friends.

This is where my question comes in: What would be the best way for my father to purchase a shotgun for me and get it registered under my name short of shipping it to my local FFL? Since it's a present, it would be nice to pick it up while visiting for the holidays instead of a lot less formal ship to my FFL which takes away the gift aspect of it and makes it more just like picking up another gunbroker win. If we go into a local bass pro or something can it be purchased or transferred in under my name there on the spot?

Also, for long guns is there a waiting time for you MD guys? I guess I could ask him, but Ill just add that in while I'm on the subject. I know opposed to the 30 minutes it took me to purchase my last handgun here in PA, his last pistol purchase all in all took something like 90 days - another instance of laws hurting law abiding citizens IMHO, by I digress.

Any links to state law sites or something like that would be much appreciated since we both, as any lawful citizen and especially him as a lawyer always want to go about things 100% assured of legal soundness.

Thanks in advance and stay strong my fellow gun pals down south!

gigliottit

Oct 12, 2013
    I'd rather do an FFL transfer or even gift cards to somewhere over just sending money. Those things take away from the gift aspect though, thus why I am asking. I'd like him to be with me when I receive it.

gigliottit

Oct 12, 2013
    You go into a shop with your dad. He hands them money and you fill out paperwork.

Ok. It's that doable in MD? Like I live close to NJ. If I wanted to buy a gun from a shop in that state one of the things I know they would have to do for me as a PA resident is send it to my FFL in PA.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy. Join the fight.

www.marylandshallissue.org

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Ok. It's that doable in MD? Like I live close to NJ. If I wanted to buy a gun from a shop in that state one of the things I know they would have to do for me as a PA resident is send it to my FFL in PA.

A shotgun is cash and carry. As long as you can legally own a shotgun in PA, any state FFL can sell it to you. They run a NICS check, and assuming you don't have a criminal record, you walk out the door with it. End of transaction. It gets a lot more complicated if the firearm is regulated, and those laws vary state to state.

gigliottit

Oct 12, 2013
    A shotgun is cash and carry. As long as you can legally own a shotgun in PA, any state FFL can sell it to you. They run a NICS check, and assuming you don't have a criminal record, you walk out the door with it. End of transaction. It gets a lot more complicated if the firearm is regulated, and those laws vary state to state.

That's good news to hear! Optimally that is how id like to go about it. Thanks a lot for the info!

swinokur, I will forward through that organization information to my dad. I have my carry license in PA but virtually every state around me doesn't reciprocate with PA carry, so That would be great if it was to change. The more law abiding citizens carrying, the safer it is for all of us and harder for the bad guys to use guns for the wrong reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom