• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VirginaRick

Dec 29, 2013
    Hi all,

I'm a Virginia resident coming up to Maryland with a long gun or two this week for some target practice with friends. Trouble is, my hard side case doesn't fit in the trunk of my 4 door sedan.

Everyone points to federal law and says to keep it in the trunk if you can, or in a locked case if you don't have a trunk- what if you have a trunk but can't or don't want to use it? Really don't want to use a soft case on my old shotguns.

My read of state law re more tightly regulated handguns is that I'm fine "The basic requirement during transport is the handgun must be unloaded and in an enclosed case or enclosed holster with the ammunition separate from the handgun AND you must be transporting the handgun to or from the locations listed in the statute."

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks!

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    In my experience, as long as the rounds are separate from the weapon in the vehicle you are fine. Put the weapons in the back seat if you wish and put the rounds in the trunk. Or buy them when you get here (if you can find them).

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD statute 4-203 applies to handguns, not long guns. The Fedral FOPA law has no bearing on your situation as MD is your destination. As long as the long guns are unloaded, you're fine. There is also no requirement for ammo to be separate, other than not in the firearm.

You are fine if you follow these rules.

IANAL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom