Gauging Interests----A Maryland Shooters Sprint Run Forum Knife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you purchase a MD Shooters Limited Edition knife? (see post for knife details)

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 40 25.0%
    • Yes, conditionally (please specify)

Votes: 41 25.6%
    • Probably—but still undecided

Votes: 39 24.4%
    • Maybe—undecided

Votes: 19 11.9%
    • No

Votes: 21 13.1%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    also in pending details .... so .... details?

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I've been slacking a bit here and I apologize as I've had a few medical flares I have had to deal with! :( ...but we're getting close & more to come shortly :D

Going through the thread, the name mentioned most was Benchmade AXIS, and the Benchmade Grip is arguably the best AXIS knife for a forum run between pricing vs. quality. As far as engraving goes, more modest engraving such as "Maryland Shooters" and possibly the year or "# of 100" indicating the knife is a unique numbered model seems to be preferred over something more elaborate. (The unique numbering is extremely common with LE runs as it gives each knife uniqueness.)

While not final, I am getting information as if Benchmade is the go-head, and the Griptilian is the knife, under the assumption of a limited run between 100-150 pieces (price explanation by quantity ordered to follow). I will make a new thread tho to ensure that is what most people would be OK with, but based on the responses here, it seems like that is a good choice. A new thread will reflect pricing, timeline, and logistical specifics, and will allow formal discussion on what specific options are preferred. Then, if something such as the design, options, route, pricing, etc. wasn't well-liked, the game plan could still be changed.

I have information from Benchmade, and from a few Benchmade dealers, and I still need to finish discussions with a few engravers and send a few messages to IPs. And I am going to have to make a new thread to hammer out the final details, hopefully that will allow voting on route, final design, and which options vs. prices for these options.

In sum, I would strongly urge we go for a knife around 3 inches in length, and plain-edged...the Benchmade Gritilian full-sized may not be legal in all jurisdictions, and may not be practical as an EDC for some. The Mini Grip is quite capable as an EDC, and can work for both heavy utility and office carry. We COULD split between mini and full sizes, but logistics would be more complicated (again, hopefully this can be hammered out in the next thread depending what the most people want). The Mini Grip is also cheaper (it's base MSRP is $105, and actual SRP less than that). The "standard" Mini Grip is the 556, which, with the base options, is this knife:

Benchmade-556-Mini-Griptilian-MDP-Knife-01.jpg

it is Benchmade's most popular knife, which is partly why they now have a website dedicated to customizing it. It is by no means a small knife despite being the "Mini" version.
    Specs:
    Blade Length: 2.91-Inch
    Overall Length/Closed Length: 6.78-Inch / 3.87-Inch
    Blade Material/Hardness: 154CM Stainless Steel/ 58-61 HRC
    Blade Style: Modified Drop-Point ; Ambidextrous Thumb-studs

So IF we did the Mini Grip, we could go directly through Benchmade, we can do the Ritter through the Benchmade dealer that does most of the LE runs including Benchmade Forum Knives (they have in-house USA engraving), and we may even be able to do it through a premium dealer on this forum who is an IP (engraving would possibly be more complicated).

If we did the Benchmade 556 Mini Grip... (pictured above)
    If we do a 556, there would still be a few things to hammer out to determine final pricing...
    • -Blade steel-154CM or S30V blade steel-154 is great steel, S30V is a notable performance improvement, but it will bump the price a few bucks (likely $7-20 depending on final specs of our run)
    • -Blade finish-stonewashed (if Benchmade will do this as it is usually only done on the Ritter line), satin, or black-stonewashed is by a landslide the most durable and best suited for heavy usage to hide marks (a black blade usually means a premium of $5-15)
    • -Color***-there are at least 13 colors, and the handle can be the same color, or a different color per-side (as a general rule, dark blue, tan, dark green, and orange seem to be the most popular for the custom colors)
    • -Hardware color***-silver or black
    • (note that a 556 in 154CM steel, satin/SW blade, silver hardware, and whatever color we choose would keep the price lowest of all options...and at that config, it's a fantastic knife as-is)
    • (***see the end of this post for some color/hardware pictures)

If we did the 558 Ritter version of the Mini Grip...
    rsk_mk1_combo_03-300w.jpg
    resize5.jpg

• -Why? The Griptilian is a fantastic line...the Ritter Griptilian adds a capable blade shape, premium S30V blade steel, a stonewashed blade finish (most durable), improved thumb serrations for better ergonomics and control, a more robust tip, and edge geometry that takes performance up a few notches, especially with heavier work. (the "high flat grind" can slice exceptionally well, but, being a flat grind, it is made to also do heavy work that is hard on edges, and it is easy to maintain by design...) The handle is the same.
    • -it would be slightly more expensive (SRP is $125 and hopefully a good bit less with quantity discount)
    • -blade is S30V, finish is stonewashed, hardware is silver
    • -the handle colors would be limited to black, orange, yellow, and possibly tan, dark green, blue

***I have attached a few images of possible color combos to the 556 just to illustrate the differences.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 7.41.44 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 7.41.44 PM.jpg
      21.3 KB · Views: 289
    • Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 7.42.28 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 7.42.28 PM.jpg
      21.3 KB · Views: 281
    • Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 7.43.30 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 7.43.30 PM.jpg
      19.3 KB · Views: 289
    • Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 7.45.14 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 7.45.14 PM.jpg
      20.8 KB · Views: 285
    • Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 7.45.47 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 7.45.47 PM.jpg
      21.7 KB · Views: 323
    • Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 7.44.39 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 7.44.39 PM.jpg
      22.1 KB · Views: 294

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Love love the last 2 color combos. But I'm in for any of them. I have 2 grips 2 regular and 1 that was a limited 250 run. Both are awesome and would love a third. I'll keep my eye out for the next thread. I'm also a fan of doing the upgrades you suggested.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    While I like a bigger blade, I'm in regardless. Stonewashed/black works for me, but I assume variations in handle color would not be a problem, for those who prefer a more colorful setup.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    KnifeWorks, the company that handles many of the Benchmade LE runs including the official BM Forum Knife line, plans to have a pretty solid quote to me on Tuesday on doing both the standard Mini Grip and Ritter Mini Grip. If we do the Ritter, KnifeWorks is the only retailer that carries it IIRC. As a very large BM retailer, their quantity of orders should help keep prices lower and it may actually be cheaper through them versus Benchmade!

I will ask about the possibility of having both small and large size models done or other varying options...price-wise, I would expect the full-sized to be around $15-30 more than a Mini if that so happened (partly why I think if we only do one size, Mini over full would be the best option)...if we split up what we order or have major variations by knife, it will cost somewhat more and be significantly more complicated...while not a fortune more or impossible to pull off, I'll post in the next thread all of the findings to allow everyone to see/consider the options to determine what is worth doing.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    KnifeWorks, the company that handles many of the Benchmade LE runs including the official BM Forum Knife line, plans to have a pretty solid quote to me on Tuesday on doing both the standard Mini Grip and Ritter Mini Grip. If we do the Ritter, KnifeWorks is the only retailer that carries it IIRC. As a very large BM retailer, their quantity of orders should help keep prices lower and it may actually be cheaper through them versus Benchmade!

I will ask about the possibility of having both small and large size models done or other varying options...price-wise, I would expect the full-sized to be around $15-30 more than a Mini if that so happened (partly why I think if we only do one size, Mini over full would be the best option)...if we split up what we order or have major variations by knife, it will cost somewhat more and be significantly more complicated...while not a fortune more or impossible to pull off, I'll post in the next thread all of the findings to allow everyone to see/consider the options to determine what is worth doing.

Thank you for your efforts and I look forward to this happening. :)

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill

any good news!

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I am making a new thread...and will put the link HERE

Further discussion can occur in this new thread.

Here's the scoop in brief...

The GOOD news...
    --Going through KnifeWorks will give a price that is dramatically less than I expected and way under the propose price cap...a Mini Grip will be around $72 engraved, and a full-sized $79...which is over 20% of the lowest SRP, and about 35% off the MSRP
    --KnifeWorks will engrave for free

The BAD news...
    --The Ritter Grip, due to contract, can only be sold for full retail...and given it is almost double the price of the standard Mini Grip, it does not seem to make sense to do.
    --The super good price depends on us using a non-custom configuration (still have color options but not all)

KnifeWorks is dramatically cheaper than any other option. So much cheaper, for now that is all I am going to list just this as the proposed option (they handle most LE Benchmade runs, and the price is a major reason why...coordinating this through them will not only save a ton of money, but be logistically simple given their frequency of doing these sorts of runs)
    ---556 Mini Griptilian, engraved for free however we want, is only $71.50 a knife
    (154CM steel, satin blade, black handle [handle can be another color]

---551 [full-sized] Griptilian, engraved for free is only $78.50 a knife
    (154CM steel, satin blade, black handle [handle can be another color]

...you are not going to find a Grip or Mini Grip that cheap anywhere, let alone one that is custom engraved...

While it depends on what people say, I think the prices thus far suggest we do a standard Grip or Mini Grip (or both) in a more standard color in the standard 154CM steel. That knife in and of itself is fantastic and the pricing we will get is stupidly low, plus with free engraving. For this price, I don't think you could find a knife this nice for less even if you dedicated a week to searching for one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom