YOUR ideal EDC folding knife? What features/characteristics do you look for? do tell.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    NOTE - I'd hate that they'd come up with this cus then I'd have no reason to waste money on buying more and more and more knives! :innocent0

Size of Handle = 4.5"
    Length of Blade = 4"
    Overall length = 7.5"
    Blade Steel? I don't know my steels, but I have the best luck with stainless steel based folding knives...
    Blade Locking Mechanism = Benchmade's AXIS
    Blade Grind = Chisel
    Blade Type = Tanto
    Edge = Straight Edge / Veff Combo
    Blade Thickness =.12 inches?
    Blade Angle = 30*
    Overall Weight = 4oz
    Handle Material? micarta
    Opening Mechanism = AXIS-ASSIST
    Pocket Clip = RH / Tip Down
    Warranty = Lifetime
    Price = $100
    Other Considerations = Colors? Blade finish = Satin

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I like my Kershaw Blurs. Very thin, fits in the pocket well. I want a Benchmade Griptillian but it is wider and bulkier.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Size of Handle? (overall length, closed) 5", should not have hot spots, but should have good texture. I actually realllly like the feel of the ontario RAT handle. I do wish the space between the finger stop and the beginning of the blade was smaller. I want the blade to start right on the other side of the finger stop. I also want to have a cutout to both lock my index finger from moving towards the blade and one behind my pinky to keep the handle in my hand. I want the balance of the blade just behind the index cutout. It shouldn't have a hump from the handle to the back of the blade...it should melt seamlessly and have some form of jimping for your thumb to rest on. The blade should be relatively thick there too so your thumb has surface area to push on. The knife shouldn't be too wide from side to side or from blade to backspacer so you can carry it easier. My contego is much easier to carry than my benchmade bone collector just because of a slight reduction in handle scale thickness.

Length of Blade? 4"

Blade Steel? cpm-m4 62-64 hrc. I've got knives in 154cpm, vg10, s30v, aus-8, d2, 440a/b/c, and a variety of other steels.

Blade Locking Mechanism? I don't really like liner locks, I'm highly interested in compression locks but don't have that much experience with them, but I reallly like the axis locks. They're strong and all, but I really just like them for how easy they are to open and close one-handed. I can have my contego open, cut something, and closed in under 2 seconds with one hand.

Blade Grind? /// Blade Type? /// Edge? I love full flat ground blades. They just slice so well, while still being pretty strong. I'd steal the blade from the manix2xl. I'd add an emmerson wave on the back.

Blade Thickness? the .125" of the manix blade seems thick enough. cpm-m4 is damned tough stuff and can handle a thinner blade without any weakness.

Blade Angle? --15 on each side for the initial edge, just microbevel from there until it's time to reshape.

Overall Weight? --6 ounces or so

Handle Material? --g10. It's tough, grippy and does well with a variety of chemicals and settings.

Opening Mechanism? emerson wave and spydie hole, no assist

Pocket Clip?--tip up on the right side

Warranty? / Discounts / Perks of Buying? I get it for free with a lifetime warranty and also I get a 3-way with miranda kerr and mila kunis

Price? free....but under $200 would be cool too

Other Considerations? I'd want a pivot like the kvt ball system, that sumbitch is smooth. I'd also like to have the blade coated in a DLC type coating to help m4 not corrode....although my contego hasn't really shown a problem with corrosion since I take care of it pretty well.
    Spyderco's s110v manix is pretty damned close enough to my hypothetical folder to have booted everything else out of the pocket. It's just missing the handle material and wave. I'd prefer a steel-lined g10 handle, although the FRN is plenty strong. I'm actually pretty impressed with the results of the cpm s110v at the 63 HRC where this thing is treated to. For this knife, which isn't going to be hammered on as much as something bigger, I'd take it over cpm-m4. The corrosion resistance is a big plus over the m4, although I'm still a big fan of the cpm-m4 for bigger stuff.

It didn't come with a 3 way between mila kunis and miranda kerr, but it was down around $110...so I can deal with it.
    manix s110v.jpg

brucaru

Sep 14, 2011
    Kershaw Skyline for the past 4 years.
    Light, holds an edge, good grip on the scales, nice size for most all jobs

cb51

Needs to be light weight, innocent looking, defiantly the opposite of tactical.But I do like a nice sturdy lock on the blade, but it's not mandatory. I like old time looking knives that go under the radar but cut well. Opinel's are a favorite carry of mine.
    10100389315_c097156480_c.jpg

12917270304_89df13acaa_c.jpg

11827315155_3a7b4d855f_c.jpg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "I've carried a Case "Medium Stockman" every day (except when I fly) for the last 30+ years."

I carried one of those, or immediate size up or down for eons as well. It was in the past several years I went to the one hand openers because they started to meet my needs more. However, I do carry more than one knife/tool, each for different purposes.

Bosun52

Apr 10, 2014
    Here's mine, maybe I should downgrade.... Or get bigger pockets:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      41.8 KB · Views: 199

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Emerson CQC 7 Mini has been my EDC for the past 5+ years.

I've put that knife through hell, cutting drywall, prying stuff, opening bottles of beer, cutting bait while surf fishing, gutting deer to name a bunch.

jwhite407

Always Packing
    Jan 31, 2013
    Lower Eastern Shore
    I keep a nice little Schrade pen knife in my pocket. It's a "canoe" style with 2 blades; one longer than the other, opening from opposite sides. That said, I have a multipurpose tool in all vehicles and my desk drawer. I also keep the orange safety hammer that breaks windows and cuts seat belts in each vehicle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom