• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redskins7857

Sep 17, 2014
    Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, but I am not new to guns! The Peoples Republic of MD of course restricts magazine capacity to 10... and I would rather not buy a new gun with 10 round stock magazines. This may be a stupid question (and other may have posted already), but can I go to the great state of PA, VA, or any other reasonable state and buy a pistol with full stock magazines? I have my HQL, but I would rather get what I deserve upon purchase. Thoughts??

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Per federal law, the out-of-state FFL must ship the pistol to a MD FFL to complete the sale (unless C&R and you're a C&R FFL). The out-of-state FFL can give you the magazines in person at the time of the sale. The pistol then ships to the MD FFL minus mags.

Redskins7857

Sep 17, 2014
    Thank you so much! When I went to a Bass Pro in PA, they said they wouldn't touch it... ever heard of this before? I was a bit confused. I figured that this would be the order of operations.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Per federal law, the out-of-state FFL must ship the pistol to a MD FFL to complete the sale (unless C&R and you're a C&R FFL). The out-of-state FFL can give you the magazines in person at the time of the sale. The pistol then ships to the MD FFL minus mags.

Thank you so much! When I went to a Bass Pro in PA, they said they wouldn't touch it... ever heard of this before? I was a bit confused. I figured that this would be the order of operations.

One caveat on this. Some FFL's in MD won't sell you a gun without a mag that has a normal mag capacity over 10. I don't necessarily agree with it, but there you go. Bass Pro, like has been mentioned is the last place you should go.

Frankly, you're better off buying from an IP in MD then go to PA, VA or where ever and buy additional normal cap magazines. It would be cheaper in the long run.

Redskins7857

Sep 17, 2014
    Okay, now I will really sound dumb... I do not know all of the jargon yet so please bear with me. What exactly is an IP?

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

Could be wrong but I believe federal law simply says that a sale in one state to a resident of another state has to comply with the law of both states. If both PA and MD law permit the sale, the sale can occur in PA without the need to ship to a MD 01 FFL. MD law permits sales in MD to a PA resident and vice versa. The problem the OP will have is not with the pistol but with the "high capacity" mag. The OP would be better off buying a gun in state and then buying a larger mag somewhere else, as has been stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Could be wrong but I believe federal law simply says that a sale in one state to a resident of another state has to comply with the law of both states. If both PA and MD law permit the sale, the sale can occur in PA without the need to ship to a MD 01 FFL. MD law permits sales in MD to a PA resident and vice versa. The problem the OP will have is not with the pistol but with the "high capacity" mag. The OP would be better off buying a gun in state and then buying a larger mag somewhere else, as has been stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Long guns only.

I can buy any long gun in another state that I can legally buy in Maryland. I cannot buy and take possession of a handgun in another state. It must be shipped to a MD FFL for me to get it (Federal law).

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Long guns only.

I can buy any long gun in another state that I can legally buy in Maryland. I cannot buy and take possession of a handgun in another state. It must be shipped to a MD FFL for me to get it (Federal law).

Depends on the dealer. I tried to purchase a shotgun for a steal in TN a few years back. As soon as they saw the DL it was a no go....

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, but I am not new to guns! The Peoples Republic of MD of course restricts magazine capacity to 10... and I would rather not buy a new gun with 10 round stock magazines. This may be a stupid question (and other may have posted already), but can I go to the great state of PA, VA, or any other reasonable state and buy a pistol with full stock magazines? I have my HQL, but I would rather get what I deserve upon purchase. Thoughts??

Buy the pistol here, suck up the 1 or 2, 10 round mags. Drive to PA, VA or DE and buy 10+ round magazines and drive back home here and enjoy.

Feb 28, 2013
    One caveat on this. Some FFL's in MD won't sell you a gun without a mag that has a normal mag capacity over 10.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. :wtf:

It's always better to give your money to someone who wants it.

Okay, now I will really sound dumb... I do not know all of the jargon yet so please bear with me. What exactly is an IP?
    They help keep our lights on.:)

They're all listed here. Please support them when you can by buying from them.

http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    And before you head to PA or VA, find out what it takes to convert your 10 round mag to standard capacity. It's legal to do so while you're out of MD.

Feb 28, 2013
    I did that with my VZ-58 mags last time I was up in PA. I'm not too sure our IP that I bought them from would be too comfortable with mentioning how exactly I did that though.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Danger Will Robinson, Danger. If you know what I mean...

I'm just saying.
    Jim Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom