• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Ive read mixed reviews on how well that feature even works.. I would rather have one without that to be honest I have absolutely no interest in charging my Iphone in the woods. I just think it looks like a fun little stove. I wish I could take one for a test drive before spending the money on it.

It does work but it's not that fast at charging which is why I bought the powerpot which is much faster.

I always carry my phone and always keep it topped off whenever possible. It may not be the first device I charge when I set up camp but it gets a bit every day. You never know when you may need it or when you may be surprised to get a signal...Mountain top, etc. which may save you some aggravation. It also provides a flashlight which is ok, and can map even without a cell signal. It a good idea to keep phone numbers, etc. handy in case you need them (someone else may have a comm device for you to use), I use the voice note feature to take notes on my trips about gear, places, etc. as I keep a journal of all of my trips I move the audio to written when I get home. A cell should, in my opin, be carried always as it's considered your first comm option anywhere. It would be a bit embarrassing to call for assistance via a emer beacon (PLB, etc.) or SPOT, etc. in an area covered by cell coverage. I do carry the cell turned off to save battery and sometimes it's nice to listen to a bit of music every now and again. So, I carry it, use it so I need to charge it. I guess if you carry one and don't use it you could get away with not charging it for days. I usually charge my Tikka headlamp first then over stuff. I carry a 5400Mah LiON battery that can do two quick charges of my cell and powers a USB lightstick for site/tent lighting so I charge that. Even if I don't need the water I am heating it to top off devices. With an open fire or the Biolite Stove its a no brainer but I would not do that if using another heating device using fuel.

I like the new Kettle Charge pot from Biolite so I may look into one of those eventually. The low water alarm is nice The powerpot V I have weights about one pound where both the Kettle Charge and the Biolite stove are two pounds if weight is an issue. But the Kettle charge does have a battery built in for quick charging. I guess you always need to cook/boil water so you may as well get something that will do double duty.

I am in PG County so if you want to try it one day let me know. We can meet somewhere if you like.

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    Deal is dead

Saw this on slickdeals thought of this thread.

BioLite Wood Burning Campstove $88.99 @ EMS.com + Fs

Last edited:

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    On the Biolite Campstove and fuel pellets:

Quick version:

The Campstove works wonderfully with pellets.

Long version:

After finally getting a bag of pellets I was able to test them in the Campstove. With the shape of the stove and it being top load there is no easy way to light the pellets directly. I successfully lit the pellets with two methods: breaking up a handful of 1/8" twigs and lighting them then pouring the pellets over, and using good old newspaper on the bottom with pellets on top.

My first test was to see how long a specific amount of pellets would burn. I chose one cup to start.

I added a cup of pellets to the twigs I had started burning and after smoking for a minute or two they were happily burning.

One cup of pellets will burn for 8 minutes on high or 14 minutes on low. And I discovered something the second time I used the pellets. You get a more consistent burn (no flare up) by using a half a cup at a time instead of a full cup. You also get more burn time from the pellets. A half cup of pellets will burn for 5 minutes on high or 9 minutes on low. This means you can easily cook a meal (boil water on high or grill meat on low) with 2.7 ounces of pellets. That's potentially 237 quick meals from a single 40lb bag of pellets.

Side note: It is difficult to get pellets into the stove after the fire is already burning without loosing the hair on your hand. A metal spoon or measuring cup is a must!

While testing the pellets I decided to test a larger piece of wood as well. In the rains last week we had a limb come down out of a sugar maple. I cut a 6" piece to test.

This is the largest diameter piece of wood you could use due to the heat probe which protrudes into the burning chamber as you can see below. I added the piece to hot coals which had nearly burnt down.

That single piece of wood burnt for 9 minutes. So when using sticks and twigs definitely use the largest diameter you can find.

My camping plans have been moved back to the middle of Sept so I will update then.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Thanks for doing this. I will grab some pellets myself and give them a go. I have four trips planned for this fall into winter.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Sorry but I don't understand the idea of using pellets. :shrug:
    This is a minimalist camping stove right? Don't you just want to fuel it with whatever you can gather up rather than packing a baggie of pellets? If you're going to carry fuel just use a butane stove.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Sorry but I don't understand the idea of using pellets. :shrug:
    This is a minimalist camping stove right? Don't you just want to fuel it with whatever you can gather up rather than packing a baggie of pellets? If you're going to carry fuel just use a butane stove.

I thought pellet use came up as a way to get wet twigs/kindling going. I don't intend on packing a large amount with me.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    The thought was the pellets being used in a short-term SHTF situation where you might not have an endless supply of twigs due to living arrangements. A bag or two of pellets is easily stored and can be used on demand. When being used camping/backpacking scrounging for fuel is still preferred.

BanjoPicker

Aug 29, 2014
    Harford
    Im glad to see someone else enjoying one of these awesome stoves! I preordered the base camp and plan on posting pictures and a possible review when it arrives in October!

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I;ve had one of these on my wishlist for 3 years or so now. Probably high time I pulled the trigger (wordplay, not a pun).

bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    Just got one of these for Christmas. Trying to head out to Green Ridge at the end of the month. Cant wait to try it out in the field!

Of course, I'll have my faithful JetBoil as a backup ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom