• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bikerbankr

Mar 1, 2010
    Upperco, MD
    Question for you more experienced guys.

I got my homemade J-Pole antenna mounted up in my attic today at the peak of the roof. I got a really good shielded cable too.

So I’m picking up a lot of digital signals that were not evident with the little antennas that came with the RTL-SDR. So out of curiosity I started to try and find out what these signals are. Using the FCC database and Radio reference.com most of them are public and private trunk networks.

However I am getting a fairly strong periodic signal in Ellicott City on 152.1800 Mhz. I cannot find any registered license or transmitter info.

Shouldn’t all digital transmitters be FCC registered and easily found in the database?

Any other ideas on how to ID this transmitter?

State = Maryland
    Status = Active
    Frequency Assigned = 152.1800
    Matches 1- 1 (of 1 )

Call Sign/Lease ID
    KGA589

Name
    SCHUYLKILL MOBILE FONE, INC.

FRN

Radio Service
    CD (Paging & Radiotelephone)

Status
    Active

Expiration Date
    04/01/2029

Not sure if this will work but: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=500

Last edited:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Finally mounted my dual band 144/440 Mhz J-Pole on the roof. I made two ("Why make one when you can make two at twice the cost?"), one for my brother and one for myself. He still has his mounted to a fence post and likes the way it performs. Very little time on mine, but it works!

Attachments

• J_poles small.jpg
      J_poles small.jpg
      145.9 KB · Views: 319
    • Roof J-pole.jpg
      Roof J-pole.jpg
      63.6 KB · Views: 346

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Got my mobile unit today. This thing looks like it’s going to take forever to program. I just got the CARA Digital Repeater programed and I’m monitoring conversations from all over the country and even talkers from the UK.

Lots to learn especially setting up APRS.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Technician class at Anne Arundel Radio Club Starting October 5, 2019:

https://www.w3vpr.org/sites/default/files/ClassFlyers/2019/Fall2019techclass.pdf

Note: the flyer states you must "own the Kindle equipment" to read Kindle files in reference to buying a Kindle version of the ARRL manual vs. a paper copy (either is fine). This is not true. If you have an Amazon account (which you are going to need to buy Kindle books in the first place) you can read them in several browsers without downloading anything. You can also download a Kindle app to your Android device.

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Do yourself a favor and program it with a PC and the repeaterbook feed. If you need a cable, let us know.

I just purchased RT Systems software after some research and a lot of recommendations. It really is worth the $25. I downloaded all if the repeaters in my usual driving areas and uploaded them to the radio in 1min.

I just figured out how to send myself a txt message from the radio to my cell phone and reply. The technology is amazing.

5cfaa366542df0cb5b9732cca612e0fb.jpg

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind

https://www.w3vpr.org/sites/default...ectronics Museum. [url]http://www.k3nem.org/
    You'll need the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual:
    http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Ham-Radio-License-Manual-4th-Edition-Softcover/
    https://www.amazon.com/ARRL-Radio-L...icense+manual&qid=1567354599&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I just purchased RT Systems software after some research and a lot of recommendations. It really is worth the $25. I downloaded all if the repeaters in my usual driving areas and uploaded them to the radio in 1min....
    I also use RT Systems software and the added bonus is that I can copy over files from one model radio to another *almost* seamlessly.
    The hurricane net is active & it's interesting to listen to. The website is https://hwn.org/ . It lists the freqs to tune to.
    Thanks!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I also use RT Systems software and the added bonus is that I can copy over files from one model radio to another *almost* seamlessly.

Thanks!

Good to hear from you Ed. I’ve been bouncing all over the place as I dabble into the amateur radio world and it’s hard to get focused. I’ve been having fun finding and trying to decode all of the digital traffic out there with SDR as well as listening in to the local repeaters.

For the RT Software it appears that you have to purchase a distinct version for each radio type/mfgr. I’ve got several Beofang HT’s that I would like to program too. I’ve got CHIRP so I was wondering if I can use the RT Software to create my desired programming configuration then quickly export to a txt/csv file and import to the Beofang units.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You can create a .csv file from, or import one into, Chirp or RT Systems software but if the columns don't line up then you may have to do some editing unless you are willing to do some programming. Or, if you can find an editor that remembers keystrokes for later replay, you could fix one line and then do a replay on the rest of the file.

Also, I found this out the hard way, sometimes importing data into one of these programs results in a little bit of a round off error and even though everything looks ok, unless you check each entry closely a frequency or more may be off on the last digit.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    RTSystems software saves the radio frequency data to a spreadsheet format. The format is more or less common to all models I have worked with, but with certain variations based on the radio's capability. I have the RTS software for a Yeasu VX-7r, Yeasu FT-8900 and Yeasu FT-857D and have copied/pasted data from one to the other several times. Some corrections need to be made if attempting to copy the entire spreadsheet, because one radio will put the TX freq in the first data column, others put the RX freq first, etc..

Where the software really shines is when setting up multiple radios, such as a set of HTs, although it is also very good for regional changes. I have a file saved with often used frequencies (local repeaters) for my old residence in VA, another for the lower eastern shore and another for central MD. It was nice to be able to take 10 minutes and ditch banks of frequencies, and especially tones, used in one area to eliminate scanning past dead areas and to keep received signals limited to those I can respond to.

I also use CHIRP and VX7 Commander for the HTs because not all radio functions are available with each software package, oddly enough.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    K31 & Ed, Thanks for the info.

Now that I have a few hours of experience with the RT Software, I realize I didn’t frame my question correctly. I really liked the feature of the RT Systems software to directly download from radioreferene.com and RepeaterBook.con. I was trying to simply take that downloaded table and just copy and paste it or export it to chirp or excel. I think the software specifically blocks that function. So the workaround was to create a radio configuration file and export to csv then like you suggested, then reorder the columns and change the cell formats where needed then import into chirp and create the cfg files for my various Beofang units. I did a simple test file and after a few attempts got the format transfer figured out. I’ll probably create an excel sheet to do the conversion work automatically in the future.

Ed, I too am trying to create some simple cfg files for my commonly traveled areas. That seems more useful for the HT’s since their memory capacity is limited. However I’m finding that my mobile unit holds 1000 memory channels but the scanning function seems to scan all memory channels. Without the ability to group them in some way that seems like inefficient scanning. My raido can import configuration files from sd cards. Those sd cards are so cheap now, I may just make several cfg files by region and keep them in the car and swap them in and out as needed.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

https://www.w3vpr.org/sites/default/files/ClassFlyers/2019/Fall2019techclass.pdf

Note: the flyer states you must "own the Kindle equipment" to read Kindle files in reference to buying a Kindle version of the ARRL manual vs. a paper copy (either is fine). This is not true. If you have an Amazon account (which you are going to need to buy Kindle books in the first place) you can read them in several browsers without downloading anything. You can also download a Kindle app to your Android device.

If you have any interest in this class, please sign up ASAP.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Just picked up a few of these little guys. BF-T1 $16ea on ebay.

1W UHF 2M bands only. 20 channel memory storage. I’m going to program them as GMRS/FRS.

9027f100fd0bf71a838ebac2f1dc7a74.jpg

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I made my first overseas contact last night. Guy in Belgium. He looked up my call sign and came answered back with my first name which I thought was unusual, but this is still new to me.

When I asked him does he always look up a contacts call sign he replied yes and he logs every contact. I guess that didn’t seem that unusual after all.

The unusual part is that he said that he is required by law to log ALL contacts. Is that just a typical burdensome EU requirement or is it common in other parts of the world? Also what purpose does it serve?

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    The unusual part is that he said that he is required by law to log ALL contacts. Is that just a typical burdensome EU requirement or is it common in other parts of the world? Also what purpose does it serve?

I don't know if it is required in Belgium.

However, it is still a good idea to log your contacts. You get to keep track of who you contacted, when and under what conditions (power, antenna alignment, etc.).

On top of that: you also have a record of when you operate. Should there ever be a complaint with the FCC about possible RF interference then you at least have a record for your side of the story.

Some folks like to do the Log Book Of The World, or some other online tracking of contacts. Doing so also helps with certificates and the "all worked..." goals.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Now that I got the radio operation figured out I planning on installing it in the car soon. Today I was planning out where to put the head unit and base. My plan was to just place the head in the center console in front of the shifter but it occurred to me that it just might fit into the little drop down compartment for sunglasses in the ceiling console.

Well it fit in there pretty good.
    5341c053fa62f4b6e67ecd7a1fa18e40.jpg

After some simple modifications
    e3c9bf8498be1281c0d96add81161d14.jpg

And 3D printing a custom mounting plate
    6b9ebe6b6665fb9b74df778503e0dc2b.jpg

6846585317590a519366349ebddf6433.jpg

It’s going to work out way better than I thought by placing it in the lower console. I’ll be able to quickly make adjustments without taking my eyes from the road.
    f8d974268305ad95b15ec2a0deec5648.jpg

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Very nice. I have my FTM100 mounted the same way although I just used Velcro to hold the head in. The radio is mounted under passenger seat. There was a bracket there for a sub woofer, so I mounted to that.

Enjoy

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom