• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    To calculate energy : velocity × velocity × bullet weight in grains. Divide that number by 450,436. That will get you foot pounds of energy.

1413 ×1413× 158= 315,457,902 ÷450,436= 700.33. Wala, your 357 must push a 158 at 1413 fps to make MD handgun regs. (Good luck).

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I've searched and found ballistics/energy specs for handguns, say 44mag, but can't find a similar chart for the same round in a rifle. Any help appreciated.

My ruger loads almost do it. 1151 foot pound of energy from a 7.5" barrel! Yeah, it hurts.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Tell the truth. Maybe I’ll sell the .50 upper.

Not holding out. I have ammo, hand guard, and charging handle. The rest of the upper and magazine was supposed to be here Friday but it looks like the post office misplaced it. Judging by the other thread it looks like it could be a while.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    Very nicely. Debating between the Beowulf and the Bushmaster. Any opinions? Silencer options seem to point to the Bushmaster but interested if you have any other input. It will be a low round count hunting rifle so ammo cost isn’t really a factor.

As someone who owns a .50 Beowulf and thinks it's a blast, .450 Bushmaster makes a lot more sense right now. A lot more manufacturers are on board with the cartridge and ammo availability is significantly "more available" than .50 Beowulf. I'm pretty much online only for ammo (ranging from $1.50 to $2 a round for the cheapest stuff) and it's my understanding that you can find .450 on the shelf at places like bass pro.

If you reload, I think there are more options for .450 as well.

All of the above said, I knew all of this in advance of my purchase. I just wanted to be able to say I that have a .50 cal and the only way I could afford one was a BCA beowulf upper....

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Really wasn't planning on another gun this year. With other plans I'm limited on what I can spend without screwing my budget. With that in mind, what is the best budget option I'm likely to find?

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Tell the truth. Maybe I’ll sell the .50 upper.

Got it, put it together and zeroed with Hornady Black 250 grain FTX. Average velocity was 2152 fps. I zeroed it 3” high at 100 yards. It’s almost 2” low at 195 yards and 2” high at 50. Only measured group was 1.25 at 100. Once zeroed, I only fired 2 more rounds at 195 and they were about an inch apart. Easily better than my muzzle loader and savage 220. I want some more range time with it but so far I’m very happy with it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Got it, put it together and zeroed with Hornady Black 250 grain FTX. Average velocity was 2152 fps. I zeroed it 3” high at 100 yards. It’s almost 2” low at 195 yards and 2” high at 50. Only measured group was 1.25 at 100. Once zeroed, I only fired 2 more rounds at 195 and they were about an inch apart. Easily better than my muzzle loader and savage 220. I want some more range time with it but so far I’m very happy with it.

Sounds pretty good! Thanks for the range report.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Well being I’m getting older and the eyes ain’t quite what they used to be, I decided to throw a Vortex scout scope on the 1895. Bore sighted and ready to head to the range.

Attachments

• 7D54876F-0DE4-4BBF-994E-2B3DB13FC64C.jpeg
      7D54876F-0DE4-4BBF-994E-2B3DB13FC64C.jpeg
      53.9 KB · Views: 327

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Well being I’m getting older and the eyes ain’t quite what they used to be, I decided to throw a Vortex scout scope on the 1895. Bore sighted and ready to head to the range.

NICE! And yeah, a lot of us aren't getting any younger. But younger or older, the one thing that is and will remain timeless, is that the guns that are the most fun to shoot are the ones you can hit something with. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom