• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Funny this should pop up again. My fridge died this morning. Luckily we were able to put all the stuff in the downstairs fridge although it is over maxed now. I was hoping this one would last until we moved in two years but that's life. After Christmas I'll run over to Lowe's and get something.

I too have a large 2nd frig in the basement (1979). I sucks up the electric but it saved us for Christmas.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    My GE frig stopped cooling today. How did you find out it was the board?

Do you hear it "ticking" every 1 to 2 seconds?
    Do the front water/ice dispenser buttons no longer work?

Of course, might be something else.

I took a chance on the board being bad.

Tribles has them for $200 + core charge of around $55. Just like the batteries, the core charge is refundable when you bring back the old one in the same box as the new one (has some sort of decal).

Amazon has the boards much cheaper - I wanted mine fixed ASAP without a couple day's delay.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Mine is 15 years old so it doesn't owe us anything and now my wife tells me to buy something in stainless so it will help sell the house. :rolleyes:

With the way the real estate market in MD is I would consider that 1800 or so you're gonna spend on a fridge a complete waste. I did a bunch of crap the realtor recommended when we sold our last house and can honestly say we didn't get it back, and that was 3 years ago. The market is hotter than ever right now so a fridge shouldn't keep you from selling.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    My GE frig stopped cooling today. How did you find out it was the board?
    The fridge stopped cooling, but the light inside was working and the inside control panel still had readings. But the panel wasn't responding to the buttons that we pushed. It's a circa 2005 GE Profile fridge. Luckily, we have a backup in the garage that usually is only 50% full, so could move stuff there.

I got this panel from Amazon for about the same $150 price that they have now ...

https://smile.amazon.com/GE-WR55X10942-Refrigerator-Control-Board/dp/B003BIGDLI

... (and from the same vendor, PartsNet)

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Mine is 15 years old so it doesn't owe us anything and now my wife tells me to buy something in stainless so it will help sell the house. :rolleyes:

You could throw the fridge in the trash and sell with no fridge. It won't impact the sale in either direction in the current market. But who knows what a few years from now will look like.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    The fridge stopped cooling, but the light inside was working and the inside control panel still had readings. But the panel wasn't responding to the buttons that we pushed. It's a circa 2005 GE Profile fridge. Luckily, we have a backup in the garage that usually is only 50% full, so could move stuff there.

I got this panel from Amazon for about the same $150 price that they have now ...

https://smile.amazon.com/GE-WR55X10942-Refrigerator-Control-Board/dp/B003BIGDLI

... (and from the same vendor, PartsNet)

Did the freezer continue to work? Mine is.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    No, not in our case. The freezer wasn't chilling, and the fridge wasn't cooling. But I don't remember the clicking noise that some experience when their circuit board goes bad. The Amazon comments cover some of the issues people had which the board replacement fixed.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Did the freezer continue to work? Mine is.

Freezer cold, fridge warm is a circulating fan failure til proven otherwise.

Old days when freezer was on top took less fan cuz cold air falls.

Grandma had a side by side that ate fans for a hobby.

New one every 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom