• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Yes , free float barrel. As me and my buddy where talking call it a compensatory or muzzle break , the expensive piece of metal with slots that I screw on the end reduces recoil and muzzle jump significantly.i was surprised at the results from it , to actually feel and see the result , the difference. It was substantial. Read the reviews on the Thomsan , I’m a believer now . I want one in 270 now . I believe you don’t have to spend a lot of money for great results . Although must say like Daniel Defense , But for this particular hunting rifle I’m a fan.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Get a lever action in 45/70 it will kill all large game and being a straight wall shell you can use it in all of MD for deer hunting. I use open sites and have hit deer at 150 yards easily. With a scope some of my buds have reaches out to over 300 yards. Check some of the 45/70 calibers you tube.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Bolt action Ruger American Ranch chambered in 7.62x39 - cheap, reliable, built like a tank, easy to handle, dead nuts accurate up to 500+ yards, uses mini 30 magazines, cheap ammo, is extremely lethal, tremendous stopping power and can double as a go to war weapon.

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    The Axis has a cheap stock, might want to look at one before buying it. I think the 110 is fine; I have a Savage 10 308 in walnut (also came with a Nikon scope) that I am happy with. I think you can get a Weatherby Vanguard in that price range as well. I can also vouch for Thompson Center for having fine accuracy.
    Hey thanks for the input. I see a lot of members mentioning Thompson. I've had others tell me they are very accurate but have issues with scopes loosening often Especially without lockTite. have you experienced that? Also. i do realize that every manufacturer has its own quirks so I take all with a grain of salt. i think am still more prone to acquire a Savage or CVA if possible.

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Bolt action Ruger American Ranch chambered in 7.62x39 - cheap, reliable, built like a tank, easy to handle, dead nuts accurate up to 500+ yards, uses mini 30 magazines, cheap ammo, is extremely lethal, tremendous stopping power and can double as a go to war weapon.
    Thanks but I really want 308 first.

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Get a lever action in 45/70 it will kill all large game and being a straight wall shell you can use it in all of MD for deer hunting. I use open sites and have hit deer at 150 yards easily. With a scope some of my buds have reaches out to over 300 yards. Check some of the 45/70 calibers you tube.
    Lever actions are a interesting curiosity for me and I may try to get one in 357 LATER , but this foray is for a 308 bolt action. But thanks for the suggestion.

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Hey Guys. I came across a CZ 557 Sporter. Anyone have any real world experience with CZ Long guns? Any comparison to the Axis II or 110?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Hey Guys. I came across a CZ 557 Sporter. Anyone have any real world experience with CZ Long guns? Any comparison to the Axis II or 110?

CZ has a pretty good reputation in the rifle world. I'd buy with confidence if you like it.

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    I do like the look. Problem is no one has any real stock anywhere close to put my hands on and see how it feels. I guess if I order, I'll jus have to choose to love whatever arrives.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Would highly recommend buying a used rifle. It's not hard to inspect them for rust, damage to the bolt face, crispness of the action, straightness of the bore.
    Probably hard to find anything at the moment (to include ammo) but give it a couple of months for things to settle and you might find a Browning or a Weatherby or a Howa in your price range at a local pawn shop

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    I do like the look. Problem is no one has any real stock anywhere close to put my hands on and see how it feels. I guess if I order, I'll jus have to choose to love whatever arrives.
    Are you dead set on .308? If you are willing to compromise to the other common, similar calibers like .270 or 30-06 you might find a nice used gun sooner

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Hi Guys. Thanks for all the information, it is GREATLY appreciated. After all considerations, I decided to go with a CVA Cascade and a Vortex Crossfire II scope. What would be your suggestions on best reasonable ring and base to use? Trying to stay sub 100 for both if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom