• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • python

Apr 15, 2010
    The price is okay, but the real question is, do you know how to evaluate a revolver to determine if it is mechanically sound?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    The price is okay, but the real question is, do you know how to evaluate a revolver to determine if it is mechanically sound?

No. I don't really know how to do it. I'm supposed to pick it up past weekend but then I am busy so it will be this weekend.

I guess the steps are:

1. Take the cylinder out and examine it. Make sure it is visually fine.
    2. Look at the bore and see if the rifling is still there.
    3. Examine the hammer cock and trigger pull?
    4. Check for tolerance and any wiggling of the cylinder?

I don't think I can ask them to take the grip off and look at hammer spring?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Most important: hammer shouldn't be pushed off without trigger being pulled. When the hammer is cocked, see if it can be pushed forward to hammer the firing pin.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I struck out. Someone bought it when I came back a week later to purchase it. I guess the moral story is don't wait...

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Even if it is not mechanically perfect, along as it has not been Bubba', two words to remember are Ruger Warranty.

The will fix any mechanical wear and tear, they may charge you for parts or they may warrant the repair.

I found a beat to hell, 60% bluing BH in 357 with no 2nd 9mm cylinder. Ruger replaced all the springs, trigger and hammer for free. They charged about $125 for the 9mm convertible cylinder, re-blueing and shipping.

It helps if you write their CS a nice letter stating why and what you want them to repair. I expected to foot the whole bill but RCS suprised me and thanked me for rescuing a Ruger from being used as a junker for some police buyback.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Even if it is not mechanically perfect, along as it has not been Bubba', two words to remember are Ruger Warranty.

The will fix any mechanical wear and tear, they may charge you for parts or they may warrant the repair.

I found a beat to hell, 60% bluing BH in 357 with no 2nd 9mm cylinder. Ruger replaced all the springs, trigger and hammer for free. They charged about $125 for the 9mm convertible cylinder, re-blueing and shipping.

It helps if you write their CS a nice letter stating why and what you want them to repair. I expected to foot the whole bill but RCS suprised me and thanked me for rescuing a Ruger from being used as a junker for some police buyback.

Unfortunately, Ruger has stopped servicing any security six, speed six, or service six revolver. They don't do it anymore; too old models.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    They're not rare but those who own them rarely let them go...at least not cheaply.
    And about 85 percent of them that I've seen for sale look like they've been dragged on concrete for a bit. And the nice ones are way overpriced. One thing I don't like about Rugers is their sights. I've seen many, many nice Security-Sixes that have horrible sights. I don't know if the ones for the GP100s will fit the Security-Six, but the S&W sights are much better.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    And about 85 percent of them that I've seen for sale look like they've been dragged on concrete for a bit. And the nice ones are way overpriced. One thing I don't like about Rugers is their sights. I've seen many, many nice Security-Sixes that have horrible sights. I don't know if the ones for the GP100s will fit the Security-Six, but the S&W sights are much better.

Well...Bill Ruger did go out of his way to not do anything the way S&W does. He definitely had a grudge against them for some reason.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    So my attention now is should I get a ruger gp100 357 or s&w S&w 610 10mm

I have a GP100 6" stainless in 357. That is one sweet shooting iron, maybe just a tad heavy, but it eats up the recoil like no other. Built like a tank for sure.
    Also have 4" S&W 686 with a trigger job, that also shoots equally well.
    Both are worth a look.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Aftermarket sights will do good making a better sight picture. Clark, I think discontinued, made aftermarket sights which give a very good sight picture. I have them on my Redhawk. I used them on my Security 6” Sec Six, too, when the revolver PPC thing was more prevalent. Its worth investigating who is making sights for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom