ATF & AACO Police investigating purchases of 80% items.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    Yeah I read this when Mr Guns and Gear sent this out last night. Anyone have the skinny on this? Is everyone that has a p80 gonna get an Alphabet Boi visit? Should we start hiding our dogs?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I’m thinking that if possible they would have had or procured a warrant. Is it possible to obtain a warrant to access the names of purchasers of said paper weights.

No worries, simply a community relations visit …

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    ATF & AACO Police investigating purchases of 80% items.

I’m thinking that if possible they would have had or procured a warrant. Is it possible to obtain a warrant to access the names of purchasers of said paper weights.

No worries, simply a community relations visit …

No warrant needed. Simply a subpoena for records in conjunction with an investigation.

I wonder what constitutes “large quantities”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    parts made up to 80% of the finished product are not firearms. The ATF acknowledges this. It appears to me that it's the local sheriff's office that wants to treat 80% kits as firearms. What's next, they're going to visit sheet metal vendors because sheet metal can be made into a gun by someone?

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    parts made up to 80% of the finished product are not firearms. The ATF acknowledges this. It appears to me that it's the local sheriff's office that wants to treat 80% kits as firearms. What's next, they're going to visit sheet metal vendors because sheet metal can be made into a gun by someone?

1) this is a police department
    2) the ATF won’t just tag along on a local investigation, unless they’ve got an investigation going too.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    1) this is a police department
    2) the ATF won’t just tag along on a local investigation, unless they’ve got an investigation going too.

If the ATF was also investigating 80% kits, then they should also investigate the metal supply shops with 1/16" sheet metal that can be used to make AK-47 receivers, and any place that sells billet aluminum, since they can be machined into an AR receiver. Anyone with 4100 series steel blocks are suspect, they can turn that hunk of metal into a pistol frame. Even better, they can investigate anyone with iron ore on their land. :rolleyes:

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If the ATF was also investigating 80% kits, then they should also investigate the metal supply shops with 1/16" sheet metal that can be used to make AK-47 receivers, and any place that sells billet aluminum, since they can be machined into an AR receiver. Anyone with 4100 series steel blocks are suspect, they can turn that hunk of metal into a pistol frame. Even better, they can investigate anyone with iron ore on their land. :rolleyes:

*****Yes this. I’ve seen about $3000 or so worth of used lathes and basic machining mics and calipers making various hunks of metal into serviceable firearms in Africa, and Pakistan. They aren’t exactly KAC model 2 quality, nor service weapon AKs but they go bang, and shoot reliably enough. I think the going rate for a stamped out AK was about $200 or so with a decently rifled barrel pilfered from a hunting rifle and modified.

We have gun stores here in the USA, other countries not so much unless you are well connected and can go to them.

I’m not a machinist but am comfortable enough with tools that with some basic drawings, some materials, a lathe and some measuring devices that if I had to I could probably come up with something simple that would shoot. it’s not rocket science.

I was amazed at how little is needed in terms of tools and machinery and materials to manufacture firearms from well established designs out there already.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Don’t think this is going away.I would assume it’s only the beginning and is going to get worse for people owning and dealing in 80% products . Jmo

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Don’t think this is going away.I would assume it’s only the beginning and is going to get worse for people owning and dealing in 80% products . Jmo

I think it’s more the dealing. If you notice the article they were harassing guys who had bought several hundred at a time and selling at gun shows (which ATF and police have also nabbed several criminals buying 80% from the same or similar gun show dealers of 80s and also a couple guys buying in bulk and making them for criminals). The only harassing of individual purchasers of 80% I’ve seen are criminals who have bought them (not sure you can call that harassing in that case) or guys who bought poly80 buy, build, shoot kits that the ATF is arguing aren’t legal.

And on the last...ATF might actually be right if you look at the letter of the law. Or if they aren’t right, it’s skating right on the razors edge of what might be permissible under the law.

Once they start harassing retailers and regular end purchasers of 80% I’ll start worrying.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Step 1) cut a hole in a poly80 box
    Step 2) put your junk in that box
    Step 3) have atf open that box
    And that's the way you do it.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I think it’s more the dealing. If you notice the article they were harassing guys who had bought several hundred at a time and selling at gun shows...

Once they start harassing retailers and regular end purchasers of 80% I’ll start worrying.

Looks like they are harassing retailers

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    to be fair, almost every BPD bust pic has a p80 in it. i suspect there are a few individuals buying and building them as fast as they can.

Man, they should make robbery, homicide, and assault with a deadly weapon illegal to deal with that. Rather than cracking down on the legal business of 80% firearms, the focus should be on locking up criminals and keeping them locked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom