MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    R.I.P. DD214 - Founder MDS

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Ugh this hit like a punch to the gut. This forum and the people that I have interacted with because of it, both online and in person, have added to my life in so many ways. I feel at a loss.

Like Norton I don’t want to make this about me, but this really struck me. Back when I was a practicing lawyer I represented three MDS’ers pro bono. Two have died in the last two weeks…..

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    You have stood your watch with honor DD214.

May you enjoy eternal peace with our Lord.

We have the watch now.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Very sorry to hear this. RIP Don...DD214 and Thank You for all you efforts to this community. Prayers for his family left behind that they may be strong, comforted and healed.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I think it goes without saying that he changed my life, and I say that without hyperbole. I am a very different person than I was in early 2005 prior to MDShooters thanks to this place.

I know people dismiss this place on a lot of levels, but they are at their core sucky people who just don't get it.

They also don't understand how transformative this community has been in terms of activism and community amongst gun owners in this shit stain of a state and just how bad things were in the old days for this place and MSI.

I'm inserting way too much of myself in this right now, but I am sad and I feel very old and very used up. We were young back then with so much promise and so much excitement about what MDS could eventually become.

Thankfully Blaster229 provided me with an outlet for my sorrow via FeverTree and Bombay.

Never, EVER apologize for mourning the loss of your friends, doing so, does not insert you into anything. If anything, it helps with the grieving process.

With that said, I met him once and knew he was top shelf, what he started here, and you have maintained, with the help of others, is a very great resource and will be his legacy to this community.

Rest easy Don (DD214) we've got it from here.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I’m going to make this a little bit about me, but mostly how Don gave me a huge gift without knowing it. I vaguely remember meeting Don once or twice. Nice guy.

The effect MD Shooters has had on my life has been enormous. Life-changing. I was a pretty reclusive guy. Liked shooting clays, so signed up here thinking I’d maybe find some opportunities to shoot. I got sucked in quickly.

Before MDS, I had 3 friends and figured I’d never have anymore. I volunteered for a spot on a task force as the MSI rep and down the rabbit hole I went. I got to know so many great MDS people in Annapolis. Always a great time. Then there are the numerous folks I’ve met at meet-ups or via a sale or trade. So many great people, interesting stories, copious laughs. Meeting new folks is very out-if-character for me. Yet the online personas draw me out, and rarely disappoint in person. I’ve made lifelong friends, Comrades in shenanigans, hell I even had breakfast with a couple of clowns from MDS this morning.

Thanks for that, Don.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I am so sorry to hear about the untimely passing away of Don (DD214). I never met him, but like so many others on this Forum, I owe him a debt of gratitude for having the vision to start this great Forum. May his soul Rest in Peace. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Cal68

FlyBy01

May 13, 2021
    Southern Maryland
    Fallen brother

Don was only 48 and a close friend of mine. This was a very sudden and unexpected. Don will be severely missed by me. Don was one of the biggest 2A advocates that I was great friends with and our families went shooting quite often. I was over at his house this Tuesday and with him until the end. God rest my Shipmates soul.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Don was only 48 and a close friend of mine. This was a very sudden and unexpected. Don will be severely missed by me. Don was one of the biggest 2A advocates that I was great friends with and our families went shooting quite often. I was over at his house this Tuesday and with him until the end. God rest my Shipmates soul.

I"m sorry to hear this. I know it's hard when it is unexpected.

I'm glad for the work he did in founding this community. I wish my legacy would be so good.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    Don was truly a great guy who will be missed by so many. I know I wish I could go back ten years and hang out with him a bit more. He helped get me into shooting, 2A activism, Libertarianism, and of course pointed me to this great forum he founded.

RIP Don.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    48, that's way to early to go. Did he have kids in the house or still in school ?

Based on a recent post of Don's (linked below), it looks like he did.

This is awful. I used to be somewhat active years ago. When he took a hiatus I would check back to see if there was any activity on his account from time to time. I was excited to see him posting again this year.

Seeing his last post breaks my heart because he has such young children and yet warms my heart that his last post would be about how great his daughter is. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=6301837#post6301837

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom