• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    I don't know if this is something done or not so figured I ask. After looking at 5D tactical jig (similar to 80% arms and modulus arms) and seeing long wait and very expensive, I was wondering if people lend/rent them? Heck, use your own bits/speedmill and good to go. I know you have to actually do it yourself but don't think borrowing jig would be illegal. maybe nominal fee to cover any wearing that occurs, although doesn't seem like anything should really wear if done correctly. Or get group to purchase jig to split costs and everyone get own bits/speedmill? dropping $330 + $50 for bits/speedmill for couple lowers is little steep. I don't think I would want to try drill bit only jigs.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I need to pick up some new end mills, but I’d gladly allow you to use my setup at my place - you aren’t that far from me.

TravisVerve

May 3, 2021
    Hey. I'm doing a JMT poly 80%. Let me know hoe things go would ya? I was gonna try it with a drill press. seen some have decent results.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I don't know if this is something done or not so figured I ask. After looking at 5D tactical jig (similar to 80% arms and modulus arms) and seeing long wait and very expensive, I was wondering if people lend/rent them? Heck, use your own bits/speedmill and good to go. I know you have to actually do it yourself but don't think borrowing jig would be illegal. maybe nominal fee to cover any wearing that occurs, although doesn't seem like anything should really wear if done correctly. Or get group to purchase jig to split costs and everyone get own bits/speedmill? dropping $330 + $50 for bits/speedmill for couple lowers is little steep. I don't think I would want to try drill bit only jigs.

If you choose a Jig... 1. Modulus, 2. 80% Arms, 3. 5D Tactical go in that order.
    if you plan on purchasing... 5D has issues with the bushings being soft (recent ones)
    and needing replaced. Their Q.C. seems to have dropped. So would avoid them. Have
    all 3 Jigs they are basically the same, except for obvious things. 5D Tactical has like a
    carbon fiber router plate as others are Aluminum.The older 5D jigs have aluminum plates,
    picked up extra mills and drill bits along the way Most jigs will last a long time and
    through several lowers before replacing the mills and bits.

As far as lending mine out... only to people I know. Sorry.

-Rock

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Yeah, after seeing the cost and lack of availability I decided to use the 80's as paperweights .... and hold down my $400 bills. I've done the drill press, not the prettiest but they run just as all my Spikes. Oh well, next project.

Good Luck Hammer

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Yeah, after seeing the cost and lack of availability I decided to use the 80's as paperweights .... and hold down my $400 bills. I've done the drill press, not the prettiest but they run just as all my Spikes. Oh well, next project.

Good Luck Hammer

stupid priced, same as lowers. *paperweights* Jigs were like
    219-249 not too long ago. 400 smackers is a little hard to justify
    if just starting. Parts are hit n miss at this point. Now is not really
    the time to start down the assembling road (AR platform) or building
    Prefer doing MP5's, HK's, 1911's, etc. 1911's you can add up the
    tools quickly, jigs to make things easier adds up real fast.There's
    some parts laying around here n there. But it's fun n relaxing.

-Rock

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    stupid priced, same as lowers. *paperweights* Jigs were like
    219-249 not too long ago. 400 smackers is a little hard to justify
    if just starting. Parts are hit n miss at this point. Now is not really
    the time to start down the assembling road (AR platform) or building
    Prefer doing MP5's, HK's, 1911's, etc. 1911's you can add up the
    tools quickly, jigs to make things easier adds up real fast.There's
    some parts laying around here n there. But it's fun n relaxing.

-Rock

I think we talked about 1911’s before. I’ve got well over $1200 in Matrix Precision jigs. I have 50+ hours into my first 1911 build. It’s a tight gun with a great trigger, so the jigs were totally worth it. The hand fitting of the slide and parts was very relaxing and rewarding.

I gotta do an MP5.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I think we talked about 1911’s before. I’ve got well over $1200 in Matrix Precision jigs. I have 50+ hours into my first 1911 build. It’s a tight gun with a great trigger, so the jigs were totally worth it. The hand fitting of the slide and parts was very relaxing and rewarding.

I gotta do an MP5.

Yeah man talked about 1911's before, Matrix Stuff is great adds up quick, that's a given. throw in all the extra stuff, "nickel n dime", here n there. Time, I honestly don't know probably about what you have maybe more, do a little, stop, do some more, and totally agree very relaxing, rewarding, your own work, your own hands. I have stopped justifing Jigs and tools, save a little pocket money then buy another tool / stone / file. Saving some green backs, have a friend who's been a mackinist for a while, still is, been talking about selling some xtra tools. I asked to have first shot, so he sends me a Brown & Sharpe Caliper (Free) excellent condition. What a surprise. Then the other half says I can have a mill and Tig welder when me move.
    Back on track... like building... some were fortunate to get kits when they were cheap, all kinds. AR's are what I call "assembling", yeah I know why the jigs.? I don't know..

But You Got To Do a MP5..SD version.. I'm no gunsmith / machinists / welder.. but they are fun to build, biggest thing is bending the "flat" right, welding it and the other things welded up, then the bolt moving freely...but if you can do the 1911, should be no problem...give a shout.. most of the stuff is boxed up, said to the other half i will have a He-Shed :D:D. there's one place that has like a mini-house out back 16'x32' finished inside like a house, floors / ceiling, which we are looking at... I know where I'll be..

-Rock

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yeah man talked about 1911's before, Matrix Stuff is great adds up quick, that's a given. throw in all the extra stuff, "nickel n dime", here n there. Time, I honestly don't know probably about what you have maybe more, do a little, stop, do some more, and totally agree very relaxing, rewarding, your own work, your own hands. I have stopped justifing Jigs and tools, save a little pocket money then buy another tool / stone / file. Saving some green backs, have a friend who's been a mackinist for a while, still is, been talking about selling some xtra tools. I asked to have first shot, so he sends me a Brown & Sharpe Caliper (Free) excellent condition. What a surprise. Then the other half says I can have a mill and Tig welder when me move.
    Back on track... like building... some were fortunate to get kits when they were cheap, all kinds. AR's are what I call "assembling", yeah I know why the jigs.? I don't know..

But You Got To Do a MP5..SD version.. I'm no gunsmith / machinists / welder.. but they are fun to build, biggest thing is bending the "flat" right, welding it and the other things welded up, then the bolt moving freely...but if you can do the 1911, should be no problem...give a shout.. most of the stuff is boxed up, said to the other half i will have a He-Shed :D:D. there's one place that has like a mini-house out back 16'x32' finished inside like a house, floors / ceiling, which we are looking at... I know where I'll be..

-Rock

I am almost done putting my lathe back together after modifying it to be better. Wife said I could get a welder, too. I’m going to be an animal. If I do an MP5 it is definitely going to be an SD.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I am almost done putting my lathe back together after modifying it to be better. Wife said I could get a welder, too. I’m going to be an animal. If I do an MP5 it is definitely going to be an SD.

Not If but when...;);) Once you do one .. better put the bank account on
    "lock-down"...have a good source of 9 ammo / reloaded or otherwise, plus
    plenty of reloading components...cause you will need it...plenty of mags also
    the G3's (91 clones) are fun.. but the MP5's looking at some
    more kits / parts..if some pop up decent may just get em, put em together
    after the move, got the "bucket list to finish building" going.

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom