Bench rest an AR-15 with a collapsible stock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    It is easy to bench rest a bolt gun with a front rest and a rear rabbit ear sand bag - but how do you deal with the rear bag and the sling loop on a collapsible AR-15 stock other than temporarily remove the sling loop?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm a bit confused. What sort of problem are you having exactly? Is this a mil spec M-4 stock? Doesn't the sling loop swing to the side?

You should probably have the stock up against your shoulder with your support hand gripping the upper arm of the trigger hand-arm.

Is the front hand guard free floating?

Last edited:

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I have several options to address the problem. I may go the Magpul route; just install one of their Hunter stocks on a Ruger Am. Predator and was really impressed with their quality.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have found my best groups are attained when using front and rear bags. If using a bipod on the front, make sure it is a quality unit. Most flex too much on recoil for my tastes.

This is true even when the rifle has a mil-spec, collapsible stock.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I have found my best groups are attained when using front and rear bags. If using a bipod on the front, make sure it is a quality unit. Most flex too much on recoil for my tastes.

This is true even when the rifle has a mil-spec, collapsible stock.

I always use a front bag; my OP had to do with the problem I was having using the rear bag and collapsible stock.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Sand bag under the pistol grip works pretty well for free. Try that before buying another stock.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I do not shoot my AR's in a typical "benchrest" manner, using a BR type front rest and a rear bag. I tried this, and even purchased a handguard with a flat bottom ($$$) for use with a flat-bottomed, three sided BR front rest. This did not work well. Rather I use a sturdy, wide stance bipod at the front and a rear rabbit ear bag under the stock, with the rifle held VERY firmly in position into my shoulder, right hand holding the pistol grip and left squeezing the rabbit ears around the stock. This works quite well. I don't think you would need any particular stock or stock attachment to shoot this way, although a good, sturdy bipod is required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom