• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    No disagreement, but the only way to get primer prices to come back down is if people refuse to pay $100 a brick for them.

The unfortunate thing is that prices never fully rebound to what they were before when these ammo and component shortages occur thanks to the dumbasses out there who are like, "Here! Take mah munny!!!!! LOLOLZ!" Every single time the prices bump up, and then only relax about 70-80%. I fully expect primers to be $40+ permanently, even when the shortage is over.

Spot on. Prior to the 2008 fiasco, primers were $20-$25 per 1000. After the 2008 fiasco they were $30-35 per 1000. I expect them to settle out around $40-$50 per 1000 in another year or two when everything settles down. Everything else, including loaded ammo, will follow along. Those $8-$10 boxes of 9mm that turned into $12-$15 boxes of 9mm are going to be painful to buy at $16-$20 each.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    $100/ brick is already a 2/3 reduction from a month before .

If you have all the other components standing by , " only" $100 is not totally out of the question . But only in the quantity you'll imeadately use for a pet load . Still too high for preemptive stocking up .

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    $100/ brick is already a 2/3 reduction from a month before .

If you have all the other components standing by , " only" $100 is not totally out of the question . But only in the quantity you'll imeadately use for a pet load . Still too high for preemptive stocking up .
    That's not really a reduction - there were a few people doing some serious gouging because people were spazzing and paying it, but I only heard one account where people were actually paying that kind of money.

There was a jackass at a gun show in Nebraska who was selling primers for $30/sleeve of 100, and people were lining up to get it. That was, to my knowledge, an isolated case.

People are still getting primers for $30-$40/brick.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    "People are still getting primers for $30-$40/brick."

Where is that???
    I'm on a reloading group on FB called Reload Nation - people living in other areas of the country that have a decent selection of LGS's are able to get primers for pre-shortage prices.

There's nothing out here of course - Maryland has gone to great lengths to make being a LGS such a colossal pain in the ass that there aren't many left - central Maryland is particularly abysmal.

Be that as it may, not every state is as anti-gun as Maryland, and primers can still be had locally in lesser populated areas of the country.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The whole availability piece aside, it isn't helping component or ammo pricing that commodities in 2021 like copper and brass are themselves knocking on the door of all time highs.

Yeah I need to get to the salvage yard. I’ve got a bunch of copper pipe and wire from some demo projects of the last 18 months or so. Plus the former owner left a bunch of stuff when he sold me the place. Including a lot of copper pipe (he worked as an HVAC sup for a residential oil company). Including, for instance, a bundle of maybe a 12-15 1”x5’ copper pipes. It’s gotta be 40-50lbs of copper at least. Plus a bunch of old 3/4” pipe I removed that was a dump zone to the garage slab, some old supply lines (I’ve re done the house with PEX as it was copper and CPVC with really acid well water and 30 years with no acid neutralizer). I’ve got probably 20lbs of wire and 100lbs of copper pipe and several pounds of brass fittings. Plus maybe 8-10lbs of spent brass that can’t be reused (damaged range brass and 22 casings)

At a guess I am at around 15lbs if brass, 100lbs of copper and the 20lbs of Romex.

I hate to just salvage the unused copper pipe, but I need at most a few feet of it when I relocate my wood boiler 90 degrees from how he had it installed. Maybe I need to stick it on the forum for sale or something. Or criagslist. Less about getting a few bucks more, and more about less waste melting it down to reuse it when someone can just use it.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yeah I need to get to the salvage yard. I’ve got a bunch of copper pipe and wire from some demo projects of the last 18 months or so. Plus the former owner left a bunch of stuff when he sold me the place. Including a lot of copper pipe (he worked as an HVAC sup for a residential oil company). Including, for instance, a bundle of maybe a 12-15 1”x5’ copper pipes. It’s gotta be 40-50lbs of copper at least. Plus a bunch of old 3/4” pipe I removed that was a dump zone to the garage slab, some old supply lines (I’ve re done the house with PEX as it was copper and CPVC with really acid well water and 30 years with no acid neutralizer). I’ve got probably 20lbs of wire and 100lbs of copper pipe and several pounds of brass fittings. Plus maybe 8-10lbs of spent brass that can’t be reused (damaged range brass and 22 casings)

At a guess I am at around 15lbs if brass, 100lbs of copper and the 20lbs of Romex.

I hate to just salvage the unused copper pipe, but I need at most a few feet of it when I relocate my wood boiler 90 degrees from how he had it installed. Maybe I need to stick it on the forum for sale or something. Or criagslist. Less about getting a few bucks more, and more about less waste melting it down to reuse it when someone can just use it.

You have a nice chuck of change there.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No disagreement, but the only way to get primer prices to come back down is if people refuse to pay $100 a brick for them.

The unfortunate thing is that prices never fully rebound to what they were before when these ammo and component shortages occur thanks to the dumbasses out there who are like, "Here! Take mah munny!!!!! LOLOLZ!" Every single time the prices bump up, and then only relax about 70-80%. I fully expect primers to be $40+ permanently, even when the shortage is over.

Disagree. I was in the same camp last shortage. That .22 LR would not drop back below 4 cpr. But they did. Which is a steal when CCI MiniMags were 2 cpr in the 70s.

BTW, when I started reloading in 1977, primers were about $8 per 1000. In todays dollars, that is about $36 per 1000.

ALL prices have gone up. Some less than inflation. CCI Minimags were $2 per 100 rounds in 1977. Today that is equal to $9.

Last edited:

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    To the OP: the two don't need to be mutually exclusive. Get a reloading setup in place, calculate your cost if that interests you and buy or reload depending on the current cost/availability of your ammo.

I reload because I enjoy the process. I actually enjoy reloading more than shooting.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    To the OP: the two don't need to be mutually exclusive. Get a reloading setup in place, calculate your cost if that interests you and buy or reload depending on the current cost/availability of your ammo.

I reload because I enjoy the process. I actually enjoy reloading more than shooting.

This....under the prices I've been seeing for primers, my price per box of 12 ga. Reloads is $1 more than buying new. $8.33 vs. $7.49.

For comparison, in Dec. I bought 1000 W209 primers for $29.00. I was recently quoted $100.00 for the exact same thing from the same supplier.

I enjoy the reloading, but I'll continue to buy for now.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom