• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trappemann

Mar 26, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    So, if a guy legally owned a legal handgun, but died, what would his heirs, in MD have to do to own them legally?

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Not much, just file the appropriate transfer paperwork with MSP. Transfers for inheritance like that are free AFAIK.

That's assuming everything is legal to own currently in MD. If there are now-banned items (an M1A or non-HBAR AR, for example), I'm not clear on that angle. I think you can inherit the guns but not things like magazines and suppressors, but I expect someone will come along shortly and clear that up.

ETA: I see you specified handguns, so disregard my mention of rifles.

Speedfreak

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 16, 2021
    I went through this last year. Unless exempt, anyone receiving a handgun in Maryland needs an HQL.

A person may not purchase, rent, or receive a handgun after October 1, 2013 unless they possess a valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) issued by the Maryland State Police or qualify for exemption status.

Exceptions to possession of the HQL License

A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
    Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States (Federal Law Enforcement), the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
    Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
    A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
    Maryland licensed firearms dealers. (Sole Proprietors)

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component

Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
    Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
    Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    ​​Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I went through this last year. Unless exempt, anyone receiving a handgun in Maryland needs an HQL.

A person may not purchase, rent, or receive a handgun after October 1, 2013 unless they possess a valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) issued by the Maryland State Police or qualify for exemption status.

Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States (Federal Law Enforcement), the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
    Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
    A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.

Someone who completed a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary of the Department of Maryland State Police.
    Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
    Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    ​​Lawfully owns a regulated firearm, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

Transfers via inheritance are exempt from the requirement for an HQL.

When my father died I took his off-duty weapon that he carried when he was a police officer to my LGS where it was put into a safe. I filled out the proper transfer paperwork waited my 7 days and went and picked it up. I have never had an hql. It's not required when you inherit a regulated handgun

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    When my father died I took his off-duty weapon that he carried when he was a police officer to my LGS where it was put into a safe. I filled out the proper transfer paperwork waited my 7 days and went and picked it up. I have never had an hql. It's not required when you inherit a regulated handgun

Neither is the 7 day wait.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

You took your father's gun to a gun store, paid to do a transfer, waited 7 days and then went and picked it back up? Did the FFL have a window? They definitely saw you coming, lol. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom