Long Ban Private Xfer Bill Veto Override: Was COMAR Language Ever Issued?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    As we all probably know, GOV Hogan's veto of the long gun transfer bill (SB208/HB4 of 2020) was overridden early in the 2021 session, but has the final wording of its implementation in COMAR been issued yet?

Speedfreak

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 16, 2021
    I'm curios, didn't this already go into effect 30 days after the veto was overridden? If so, how can the bill become law absent of the final wording?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I'm curios, didn't this already go into effect 30 days after the veto was overridden? If so, how can the bill become law absent of the final wording?
    I think it went into effect immediately after the veto was overridden.

IANAL but I think in this situation any prosecution would rely solely on the language of the bill.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I think it went into effect immediately after the veto was overridden.

IANAL but I think in this situation any prosecution would rely solely on the language of the bill.

Any prosecution would rely solely on a party to the transaction coming forward to incriminate himself.

Last edited:

Speedfreak

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 16, 2021
    Why bother understanding what you plan to ignore?

The last thing I need is to pass my firearms down to my children and problems to them. I do get your position however.

These are the same people in fear of a virus during the veto override, with the same mindset towards our constitutional rights. They create problems that don't exist, implement unnecessary solutions to justify their authoritarianism.

51260292095_3667aa09b9_z.jpg
    [/url]Feb. 9, 2021 floor session by Speed Freak, on Flickr[/IMG]

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I told my son about this new BS law (he's not on MDS so pretty sure he didn't hear about it)

His response was " LOL! F*** them. It's none of their business"

I love that kid!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Any prosecution would rely solely on a party to the transaction coming forward to incriminate himself.

Or a honey trap. Or a cop sees a parking lot transaction. Or someone sees one and reports it. Or someone says something to someone else who reports it. Or…

Sure it isn’t going to stop people who have some level of trust in each other. But frankly unless you really just don’t give two Sh!ts or are trying to make a statement (and get yourself arrested) I doubt too many who are aware of the law are going to be selling to randos in parking lots. Or hell, probably not even to guys they know very casually.

Which was the point of the law for the most part. Yeah, sure, sure. They’d like all guns gone. But most of the me and women voting for it figure it’ll stop most unknown party private transactions without a background check except for those knowing they are selling to someone probably prohibited.

And it’ll certainly nip some guys in the butt if they privately sell a gun to a guy who ends up doing something with it later. Gives that guy some incentive to reduce their sentence by selling out the guy who sold them the gun if it wasn’t a legal sale.

I know darned well wouldn’t even consider it unless it fell in to the laws exceptions. Okay, I’d probably consider it if it was a real close friend.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Or a honey trap. Or a cop sees a parking lot transaction. Or someone sees one and reports it. Or someone says something to someone else who reports it. Or…

Sure it isn’t going to stop people who have some level of trust in each other. But frankly unless you really just don’t give two Sh!ts or are trying to make a statement (and get yourself arrested) I doubt too many who are aware of the law are going to be selling to randos in parking lots. Or hell, probably not even to guys they know very casually.

Which was the point of the law for the most part. Yeah, sure, sure. They’d like all guns gone. But most of the me and women voting for it figure it’ll stop most unknown party private transactions without a background check except for those knowing they are selling to someone probably prohibited.

And it’ll certainly nip some guys in the butt if they privately sell a gun to a guy who ends up doing something with it later. Gives that guy some incentive to reduce their sentence by selling out the guy who sold them the gun if it wasn’t a legal sale.

I know darned well wouldn’t even consider it unless it fell in to the laws exceptions. Okay, I’d probably consider it if it was a real close friend.

The only point of the law was to CONTROL the people and discourage gun ownership. They know it won't do a damn thing to stop crime/shootings or anything else. It doesn't stop criminals at all. These lawmakers can go fvck themselves.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    FTF sales of hand guns has been illegal in MD since 1996. And I have talked to several people who had bought and sold handguns in the past few years and had NO IDEA of the law.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    FTF sales of hand guns has been illegal in MD since 1996. And I have talked to several people who had bought and sold handguns in the past few years and had NO IDEA of the law.

Hell, I know people who have done ftf sales of handguns between residents of different states and didn’t know it was illegal. Both parties were legal to own. The transaction was the only illegal part.

Of course the way I read the 2nd amendment, the law that made the transaction illegal is the problem. Not the transaction

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hell, I know people who have done ftf sales of handguns between residents of different states and didn’t know it was illegal. Both parties were legal to own. The transaction was the only illegal part.

Of course the way I read the 2nd amendment, the law that made the transaction illegal is the problem. Not the transaction

Read my sig line.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

My dad and his brothers bought and sold long guns across state lines to each other all the time...

Whether they knew it was illegal or not, I'm sure they didn't care.

My dad ended up with a 7.35mm carcano at some point. He didn't like it 'cause the bullets would go all the way through the deer.

Don't know what happened to it.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Read my sig line.

The snag is that duly enacted laws are presumed to be valid and enforceable unless and until a final, unappealled court decision in that jurisdiction says otherwise.

We've seen that that is time consuming and expensive.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The snag is that duly enacted laws are presumed to be valid and enforceable unless and until a final, unappealled court decision says otherwise.

We've seen that that is time consuming and expensive.

I get that. I will never do anything i believe to be illegal. Ignoring unenforceable laws might be easy for the unscrupulous and idealistic, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom