• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you have residences in two states, it will depend on which state you spend over 183 days in.

And they may require you to log each day.

Friends of the family moved to DE, but kept there MD house for a while. MD went after them for state tax. They had to prove (the log above) that they spend more than half the year in DE.

How do you keep a log?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    They aren’t regulated firearms in terms of manufacture, they are regulated in terms of selling. You can not sell a homemade handgun in MD without going through the regulated firearms sale process.

Serial number is something you could probably try and push back on though for new residents, since there is no requirement to add one when made, only when sold.

There is absolutely NO federal or state requirement to serialize any homemade firearm you transfer after you are done using it.

As for how it gets transferred/registered in Maryland, NSN (No Serial Number) would be used, much like when pre '68 handguns are transferred.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I may or may not have a bunch of legally owned handguns they knpw nothing about. I transfered a Glock to my son that the state didn't know I had, never got a call? There's a bunch of handguns they don't have in their system.

Oh, I agree, there are a metric crapton (Technical measuring term) that aren't registered for various legal reasons. And the powers that be, hate that fact.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    There is absolutely NO federal or state requirement to serialize any homemade firearm you transfer after you are done using it.

As for how it gets transferred/registered in Maryland, NSN (No Serial Number) would be used, much like when pre '68 handguns are transferred.

I think you are absolutely correct, thanks for correcting me!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you have residences in two states, it will depend on which state you spend over 183 days in.

Friends of the family moved to DE, but kept there MD house for a while. MD went after them for state tax. They had to prove (the log above) that they spend more than half the year in DE.

This. If you have a residence in Maryland, Maryland may end up asking you to prove you are not a Maryland resident for tax and registration purposes.

Things you can do to prove it. The log mentioned (just a paper log you write down every time you arrive and depart at each residence). You can also show that all of your bills are sent to your out of state residence. Vehicle registrations maintained in the other state. Paying taxes in the other state also.

It can be a combination of things.

But you buy property especially, or get a lease of a residence (as opposed to raw land) then likely the state will end up asking for proof you shouldn’t be paying them income taxes.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Well this stinks. I am feeling compelled to be honest because I have too much in my life to risk this stupidity. All of my fun toys are still with my mom, so until I can retire to a free state, I guess I'll comply with this ridiculousness.

This is exactly what politicians directing MSP count on.
    They know it's far easier to bully law abiding citizens than to put in the effort dicking around with actual criminals.

Kmic14

Slimy Member
    Apr 17, 2020
    Baltimore City
    Ok, so I just moved officially into the state less than a year ago. I decided to sell a gun to a friend and decided to use the "proper" channel to correctly transfer the firearm to him. I used a FFL to conduct the transfer while my friend went online and filled out my info as the transferror. Well, since I never registered the firearm with maryland, a friendly Corporal gave me a ring asking me where I got the gun from and why I didn't register it with Maryland. I told him I was a transplant that just arrived. He said that I was required to register any handguns that I may have brought with me. My understanding is that this is NOT required. Is my understanding correct?

sad but true

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Not that I want to be the test case, but has anyone ever actually been prosecuted for failure to register firearms within the 90 day window?

I was about to ask the same thing. My recollection is that someoneon here once said that there is no statutory penalty for failure to comply. Anyone know if that's true? I don't feel like looking at the statute.

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    Ok, so I just moved officially into the state less than a year ago. I decided to sell a gun to a friend and decided to use the "proper" channel to correctly transfer the firearm to him. I used a FFL to conduct the transfer while my friend went online and filled out my info as the transferror. Well, since I never registered the firearm with maryland, a friendly Corporal gave me a ring asking me where I got the gun from and why I didn't register it with Maryland. I told him I was a transplant that just arrived. He said that I was required to register any handguns that I may have brought with me. My understanding is that this is NOT required. Is my understanding correct?

Man somebody needs to be calling GunOwners.org
    and https://www.firearmspolicy.org/
    and asking when & IF they will or are already challanging the Constitutionality of Firearms Registration.

Self Preservation using => Force than can be brought against you is a human birthright, in the U.S. it's protected by, not created by the Second Amendment.
    Every word of Gun Control without exception is Unconstitutional. Be it Federal, State, Local or SCOTUS Precedent or Gun, Ammo, Accesory, Registration Tax.
    It's a ludacrous notion that We The People would be required to get permission from the very same governments that may day attempt to tyrranize us.
    A key tenet of the Second Amendment is that We The People, unaffiliated with government military, police, alphabet agency maintain the Effective Means to Remove & Replace a Tyrannical Government without their permission, knowledge of what type or class of weapon or accessory. It's a timeless law of nature.

Attachments

• IMG_20181010_080451.jpg
      IMG_20181010_080451.jpg
      45 KB · Views: 281
    • IMG_20181023_112746.jpg
      IMG_20181023_112746.jpg
      70.8 KB · Views: 276
    • IMG_20181010_174523.jpg
      IMG_20181010_174523.jpg
      14.3 KB · Views: 279

Jay2984

Jul 6, 2020
    Western, Md
    Here is a statement I will post here and elsewhere to demonstrate the BS here in Md.

FOX45 WBFF reported that Baltimore’s homocide problem is because of surrounding state’s gun laws. Do those surrounding states have this homicide issue? I don’t think so. So then why isn’t it a Baltimore issue?
    Perhaps criminals should be caught and prosecuted fully. It seems the Baltimore AG feels doing their job is not what is needed.
    Baltimore has virtually the toughest gun laws in the country. It isn’t changing things. Maybe a new strategy should be applied. Perhaps freeing up the ability to obtain guns by law abiding citizens be tried and see if there is a change. Law abiding citizens are not the problem. Law abiding citizens that have guns are not the problem. Criminals are the problem.
    It seems like a lot of these cities that have out of control homicides are blaming their firearm problems on surrounding states, which most have a very low firearm murder rate. It's their way of pushing the blame onto others and not take any responsibility.

How do you keep a log?

Pretty easy. Set up an Excel spreadsheet with each month on it's own page. Should only take an hour or two after the state contacts you to put one together.

Ha! I’d just make it all up. F’em.

You tell the state to fvck off and prove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. If you have a residence in Maryland, Maryland may end up asking you to prove you are not a Maryland resident for tax and registration purposes.

Things you can do to prove it. The log mentioned (just a paper log you write down every time you arrive and depart at each residence). You can also show that all of your bills are sent to your out of state residence. Vehicle registrations maintained in the other state. Paying taxes in the other state also.

It can be a combination of things.

But you buy property especially, or get a lease of a residence (as opposed to raw land) then likely the state will end up asking for proof you shouldn’t be paying them income taxes.

It was a long time ago.

They had to do a written document of where there were each day.

Of course, you could just make it up.

My wife's (NJ) cousin became a first time gun buyer during COVID shut downs. He now has the gun bug and hate's Jersey's draconian gun laws. He officially made his Poconos (PA) home his legal residence and his condo in NJ his secondary home.
    My point is, someone in The Hamptons claiming their FL Keys vacation home as a primary residence is pretty easy to track down. Conversely, his homes are ~100 miles apart and he spends 1-3 days in The Poconos every week, as his North Jersey/NYC work territory is roughly equidistant from both homes. There is no friggin way a state could prove which one he spent more time at if he is in both places several times each week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom