• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Wondering if anyone has someone that they use, in the Eastern Baltimore County area, who's familiar with eradication of Yellow Jackets, that appear to be doing some construction inside of a wall...well, under vinyl siding.

I have no interest in being a DIY bee killer, as I have already been stung after not ever being stung in 58 years. :innocent0

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Yeah you said you didn't want to but this can save you a few hundred dollars.
    Spray in cracks and HAUL ASS.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spectracid...uao9JAUDW0Kr5E_rxUBoC73IQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Well, part of the whole DIY problem is, these seem to be entering somewhere near where my eave & rain gutter meets the side of the house. I'm guessing, maybe 20 feet from the ground...So, there's no quick exit, aside from falling off the ladder, into our vegetable garden, lol.

I do have some of this:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spectracide-Wasp-and-Hornet-20-oz-Insect-Killer/4480265

My neighbor says we can use his drone to try and track down their entry point.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I used the Spectrocide last year in a ground nest, it worked great, killed the nest. Also used it on carpenter bees they LOVE treated wood that now looks like Swiss cheese.
    Worked well but the damage is done.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Wondering if anyone has someone that they use, in the Eastern Baltimore County area, who's familiar with eradication of Yellow Jackets, that appear to be doing some construction inside of a wall...well, under vinyl siding.

I have no interest in being a DIY bee killer, as I have already been stung after not ever being stung in 58 years. :innocent0

Ground level or ladder access? Blasting them with Spectracide or some other when they are in a hole in the ground is fun (I prefer gasoline tho) and effective but may force them into the house if behind your siding/in a wall. When I was in your situation with the nest on the second floor (ladder access) I climbed up and sprayed. MOFO I almost came down 12 feet off that ladder they came out so thick. Called a pro. He suited up and forced a powder into the opening and that was that. I have since picked up a powder (Drione) and a puffer to apply and it works a charm. Whatever your course of action, if you go DIY, do it at night or when it is raining/cool. 90* and sunny is not the right time to address this. Yellow jackets are evil.

Edit: Saw 20' up. Get a pro. Not worth a fall to DIY.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    have since picked up a powder (Drione) and a puffer to apply and it works a charm. Whatever your course of action, if you go DIY, do it at night or when it is raining/cool. 90* and sunny is not the right time to address this. Yellow jackets are evil.

Edit: Saw 20' up. Get a pro. Not worth a fall to DIY.

With this Drione, do you know if it could be "puffed" from say, inside the house, through a drilled hole in the drywall?

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    With this Drione, do you know if it could be "puffed" from say, inside the house, through a drilled hole in the drywall?

Sure, I don't see why not. I have a small duster like the one in the attached link. I have attached some clear plastic tubing to get deeper into a crack/opening but have never had the need to create a hole. I have used the Drione on everything from those tiny sugar ants to yellow jackets and paper wasps.

https://www.amazon.com/Duster-Puffer-Insecticide-Insect-Powder/dp/B015BSW4ZY

Edit: One consideration before you go that route is that this is obviously an exterior wall. You will have insulation in the way so getting to your intended target is going to be a challenge. Hitting them at the entry point is really best IMO.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Dont they have a wasp/hornet kiilers that sprays 20 feet in a jet?

edit;
    As an aside. Soapy water will kill insects. It messes up their breathing.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Sure, I don't see why not. I have a small duster like the one in the attached link. I have attached some clear plastic tubing to get deeper into a crack/opening but have never had the need to create a hole. I have used the Drione on everything from those tiny sugar ants to yellow jackets and paper wasps.

https://www.amazon.com/Duster-Puffer-Insecticide-Insect-Powder/dp/B015BSW4ZY

Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to share the insight

Dont they have a wasp/hornet kiilers that sprays 20 feet in a jet?

edit;
    As an aside. Soapy water will kill insects. It messes up their breathing.

Yes. The one I linked above, claims 27 feet...Biggest issues with that is, 1, me not knowing where their entry point is exactly, and 2, if I'm running for my life, I only have 2 options...around the pool, up 13 steps and across the deck, to and through, the slider, or...out the gate, around the cars, across the porch, and through the front door. Neither is a great plan for a 300#er...:lol2: So, I either fall off the ladder, with a dust puffer in my hand, and break my back, or die of heat stroke trying to make it back into the house, after the can of 27 foot spray managed to make it just far enough up the wall to piss them off.

:lol:

I was really hoping that someone replied, "Hey, Call Joe the Bug man. He just was at my house, was very reasonably priced, and bees are gone!" ;)

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to share the insight

Yes. The one I linked above, claims 27 feet...Biggest issues with that is, 1, me not knowing where their entry point is exactly, and 2, if I'm running for my life, I only have 2 options...around the pool, up 13 steps and across the deck, to and through, the slider, or...out the gate, around the cars, across the porch, and through the front door. Neither is a great plan for a 300#er...:lol2: So, I either fall off the ladder, with a dust puffer in my hand, and break my back, or die of heat stroke trying to make it back into the house, after the can of 27 foot spray managed to make it just far enough up the wall to piss them off.

:lol:

I was really hoping that someone replied, "Hey, Call Joe the Bug man. He just was at my house, was very reasonably priced, and bees are gone!" ;)

The problem with sprays in your application (speaking from experience) is that the spray will just hose down the opening pissing them off as you stated. The beauty of powders is that they are like a cloud that will disperse and settle on the ****ers inside your wall. Good luck, be safe.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    If you're looking at ladder work, I'd first call a pro and get a price.

Then once given a price, I'd have a decision to make.

You can buy a beekeepers suit for not a whole lot of money. Me, if I'm 20 feet up on a ladder, with a can of spray in hand? I'm going to be in a suit, simply because I never learned how to fly. And because falls from 20 feet hurt.

Bottom line, don't be stupid. 20 feet up on a ladder, with a nest of unknown precise location, and with a nest you cannot see of unknown size? AND unprotected? That... would be stupid.

What I know for sure, and I know this several times over, is that you don't want to be swarmed by yellow jackets. Lucifer himself made yellow jackets. They're genuine bad ass bastards. "Stung" and "swarmed" are 2 entirely different animals.

Good luck!

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    If you're looking at ladder work, I'd first call a pro and get a price.

Then once given a price, I'd have a decision to make.

You can buy a beekeepers suit for not a whole lot of money. Me, if I'm 20 feet up on a ladder, with a can of spray in hand? I'm going to be in a suit, simply because I never learned how to fly. And because falls from 20 feet hurt.

Bottom line, don't be stupid. 20 feet up on a ladder, with a nest of unknown precise location, and with a nest you cannot see of unknown size? AND unprotected? That... would be stupid.

What I know for sure, and I know this several times over, is that you don't want to be swarmed by yellow jackets. Lucifer himself made yellow jackets. They're genuine bad ass bastards. "Stung" and "swarmed" are 2 entirely different animals.

Good luck!

Pelosi I understand has yellow jacket earrings. I am genuinely afraid of bees but have grown more calm around them after helping my brother in law harvest honey for the past 7 or 8 years. Honey bees are quite docile and even in mid-day heat stealing their amber bounty is not much of a problem. He and I agree that even suited up we would not play around with yellow jackets in similar circumstances.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I have used Atlas exterminating in the past
    They will take on any bees except paper hornets. Yellow jackets are bad but paper hornets tops the list.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    If you do go the DYI route, do it at night. Spray and still run like hell.

This x 100. Do it at night. They will not fly in darkness. They WILL take off in the light of a flashlight if you leave it on too long.

I had an underground wasp nest a bit smaller than a basketball. I found out about it by getting stung a couple of times while mowing. Went back after midnight, dug it up by flicking on a flashlight for 1-2 seconds periodically to make sure I was getting it all. If one takes flight turn off the light and back away, he'll land almost immediately.

There were a lot of wasps, but I never got stung again, and I didn't even use any spray. I picked up the nest with the shovel and dropped the whole thing in an old aquarium and put a pane of glass and a rock on top, and had my own private wasp zoo under a tree in the back yard for several days. :)

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Hire a pro. Not worth the risk of injury.

With that in mind, if you make the poor decision to do it yourself, please record it for our amusement.
    I heard you can drive a cork in the hole and suffocate them...

Really though:
    Fipronil & chicken...mmmmm
    https://ucanr.edu/sites/ucrurbanpest/files/249180.pdf

Basically, mix the insecticide with the chicken and set the bait out in a mesh cage to keep animals away. Beneficial insects don't eat chicken, but yellowjackets will clean the can out, along with their nest. Kill every yellowjacket hive within 1/2 mile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom