• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I was about to ask the same thing. My recollection is that someoneon here once said that there is no statutory penalty for failure to comply. Anyone know if that's true? I don't feel like looking at the statute.

5-144 of the Public Safety Statute, 5 years or $10,000

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    The jail time is incentive to plea down to the fine and the fine is the motivation of the politicians.

The fine is geared towards those that typically commit the corresponding crime.

Failure to register when moving in = you have money 'cause you're probably working for sugar daddy gov. Thus big fine and a big stick to pay big fine.

Robbing a store at gun point = not much money = lower fine..
    Which means you have to be released (after paying the fine) to do it again to generate more (smaller) fines. There is some jail time here also, as incentive to pay the fine.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That's messed up, right there.

Biased. Everything that is overwhelmingly skewed toward applying to law abiding gun owners is a disqualifying crime. What gang banger would be charged with that nonsense? You and me? Ha!

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    This. If you have a residence in Maryland, Maryland may end up asking you to prove you are not a Maryland resident for tax and registration purposes.

Things you can do to prove it. The log mentioned (just a paper log you write down every time you arrive and depart at each residence). You can also show that all of your bills are sent to your out of state residence. Vehicle registrations maintained in the other state. Paying taxes in the other state also.

It can be a combination of things.

But you buy property especially, or get a lease of a residence (as opposed to raw land) then likely the state will end up asking for proof you shouldn’t be paying them income taxes.

Re burden of proof: Legally, is it your burden to prove that you aren't a Maryland resident, or Maryland's burden to prove that you are? Got a cite? I'm too lazy to look it up.

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    The people's democrat state of Maryland are very strict on what gets registered, MSP is very strict in making sure regulations are followed, they are also good at Appling laws that don't exist or they interrupt the law incorrectly. It's best you follow their rules, now that your on their radar. Good luck, welcome to Maryland where they don't lock up criminals, but their great at harassment of gun owners.

bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    The people's democrat state of Maryland are very strict on what gets registered, MSP is very strict in making sure regulations are followed, they are also good at Appling laws that don't exist or they interrupt the law incorrectly. It's best you follow their rules, now that your on their radar. Good luck, welcome to Maryland where they don't lock up criminals, but their great at harassment of gun owners.

Kinda gives you that warm and fuzzy right in the pit of your stomach. What have I done? LOL

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    5-144 of the Public Safety Statute, 5 years or $10,000

That is for an illegal possession of a firearm. I don't think failure to register a handgun you lawfully possess is the same thing. That doesn't even reference the registration statute.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    I find it utterly hilarious that logic is so warped in political correctness that every excuse will be vigorously and zealously defended, other than the truth. I’m also in awe at the ability to keep the narrative of a “crime wave in democratic controlled cities” still chugging along this long. Clown world can only exist as long as the majority go along with it. Feeding the insanity of deception and lies only allows it to continue getting stronger. When enough people come to understand that “we must only kick in the door to bring the whole rotten structure down”, reality will once again become crystal clear.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I’m also in awe at the ability to keep the narrative of a “crime wave in democratic controlled cities” still chugging along this long.

Why? It's actually happening right in front of your eyes, so it doesn't exactly strain credulity when someone points that out.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Clown world can only exist as long as the majority go along with it. Feeding the insanity of deception and lies only allows it to continue getting stronger. When enough people come to understand that “we must only kick in the door to bring the whole rotten structure down”, reality will once again become crystal clear.

Many, even most, Marylanders are more than OK with the status quo. They literally believe Conservatives are insane.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    That is for an illegal possession of a firearm. I don't think failure to register a handgun you lawfully possess is the same thing. That doesn't even reference the registration statute.

No, it is for all of Subtitle 1.....

5-144 said:
    (a) Prohibited. -- Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a dealer or other person may not:
    (1) knowingly participate in the illegal sale, rental, transfer, purchase, possession, or receipt of a regulated firearm in violation of this subtitle; or

The subtitlte is 1 (Regulated Firearms), of title 5 (firearms), of the section (Public Safety), of the Maryland Annotated code.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I find it utterly hilarious that logic is so warped in political correctness that every excuse will be vigorously and zealously defended, other than the truth. I’m also in awe at the ability to keep the narrative of a “crime wave in democratic controlled cities” still chugging along this long. Clown world can only exist as long as the majority go along with it. Feeding the insanity of deception and lies only allows it to continue getting stronger. When enough people come to understand that “we must only kick in the door to bring the whole rotten structure down”, reality will once again become crystal clear.

Sadly, you're shouting in a vacuum my friend.

Wardove

Jul 23, 2017
    Blairsville, GA
    I had ordered a lower and the dealer would not even ship it to MD. I just reordered it few days ago while I still lived in MD. However, it is sitting at my new FFL in GA where I have returned after way too many years in Maryland. I wish you all the best from down here in North Georgia mountains. FREEDOM! Oh, and I can get a carry permit very easy…or just open carry.
    Keep the faith!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom