Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old July 13th, 2021, 03:01 AM #1

Question for the Reloaders here

I've been thinking of showing a few guys who go to the range I use how to reload their ammo. They all have had a hard time finding factory ammo as we all have. Noone really taught me how to reload. I used videos and books/magazines to learn.
Seeing as how even the reloading equipment is hard to find and getting more and more expensive I'm kind of hesitant to try to teach them. Also I'm concerned about the danger they face if they do something wrong when trying to load on their own. A bad accident could happen if you do one thing wrong as you all know.
Have any of you tried to teach a newbie to reload?
Striper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2021, 04:18 AM #2
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper69 View Post
I've been thinking of showing a few guys who go to the range I use how to reload their ammo. They all have had a hard time finding factory ammo as we all have. Noone really taught me how to reload. I used videos and books/magazines to learn.
Seeing as how even the reloading equipment is hard to find and getting more and more expensive I'm kind of hesitant to try to teach them. Also I'm concerned about the danger they face if they do something wrong when trying to load on their own. A bad accident could happen if you do one thing wrong as you all know.
Have any of you tried to teach a newbie to reload?
I just suggest they get a good manual or better two and read them then buy a Lee Loader (wack-A-mole type reloader) to try reloading and see if they like it before spending a lot of money for equipment because reloading is not for everyone. Many reloaders including me have started with a Lee Loader and gone on to become hooked on reloading. Currently they can buy a Lee manual ($16.00) and Lee Loader ($29.49) (Natchez Shooters Supply) for less than $50 plus the cost of your components and try reloading and if they are the kind of person who likes making there own ammo they will go on from there. But if they don't like it they don't have a lot invested and probably can sell the stuff for what it cost.
Blacksmith101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2021, 04:37 AM #3

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=157728
KRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2021, 06:37 AM #4

I got started on the LeeLoader back in the 1970s. It was cheap and safe.
Attached Images

Old July 13th, 2021, 06:55 AM #5

Location: Where everyone knows that Epstein Did Not Kill Himself.

Location: Where everyone knows that Epstein Did Not Kill Himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIP View Post
I got started on the LeeLoader back in the 1970s. It was cheap and safe.
Same here, 1971 with a 12 gauge loader, just in time for dove season, closely followed by another one in .22-250, which I nearly wore out. The ultimate gateway drug...

There is so much info out there now, that self-starting is pretty easy. As suggested above, READ a few (more than one) reloading manuals, not just the data on your cartridge, but the full explanations and instructions that make up the first quarter or third of every manual.

It would be good to have someone help you get off the ground with it, instead of trial and error on everything. Safety isn't a big issue, as long as you watch critical things like charge weight, powder type and seating length. The mistakes usually just cost you brass...

Here is some info that might be helpful once you get going:
http://www.shell-central.com/Brass_Prep1.html
http://www.shell-central.com/Powder1.html

Stop calling anti-gun politicians “stupid”. They are not. The continuing assault on gun owners and the Constitution/BoR has nothing to do with street-level crime and you will not “educate them” your way out of this.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
E.Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2021, 07:26 AM #6

Yes , yes I have . But that's me , not telling you what to do .

But right now isn't a good time in any case , as Primers are harder to obtain than loaded ammo .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2021, 07:39 AM #7
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

I learned on YouTube, and by reading. I’ve shown a few folks the basics. It’s not rocket surgery. Appropriate warnings on paying attention to over/double charging.
"The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it.No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."(16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256)
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2021, 07:50 AM #8

The other option is to encourage them to take the NRA reloading class? Putting them in an environment where they feel they can ask questions
or hear others might help as well. https://www.nrainstructors.org/CatalogInfo.aspx?cid=6
missedthebarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2021, 08:11 AM #9

Best piece of advice I can give to new folks? Pull a book off the shelf, before you start pulling handles.

Start out by reading a decent overview of the reloading process. I'd recommend The ABC's of Reloading as a serviceable initial read. Then buy at least 2 good reloading manuals. I'd suggest your first 2 be manuals that mirror the bullets you'll most likely find on the shelf, which are typically Hornady and Sierra, or sometimes Speer. Less confusion this way starting out IMO. Read these manuals, and then do indeed read them again.

Please, forget about load recipes initially. This is the hardest thing to do, but it is the most important thing one can do as a beginner. Manuals are so much more than merely being load recipe books. The goal should be to come to understand just exactly what it is that you're doing in each step, and within the entirety of the reloading process.
Learn how and why steps are interrelated, and why each part of the process matters.

It is entirely possible to build ammunition that will go bang, without truly understanding how you did it.

It is also entirely possible to build a less than satisfactory cartridge, or even an accident, in the very same way.

Sadly, you'll come to find in the sorts of questions and comments you'll hear as you grow in the process, that this important step is a step that never really happened with many.

Read all you can.
Uncle Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2021, 08:17 AM #10
American Patriot

American Patriot

I have taught many people to reload (one of my NRA Inst. ratings) but I don't think I would try to do it now. The shortages of components and equipment may lead to bad choices just get started.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading