• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    If a guy wanted to replace a fixed Bushmaster stock with a good quality adjustable stock...what manufacturers would have the better quality? Are the Magpuls basically as good as you need/want?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Different stocks will have different profiles. These will affect how it fits against the shoulder and how it affects placement of the head/cheek on the stock. This will affect how readily the sighting system aligns with the eye upon shouldering.

My experience most of the mil spec configured stocks fit the same and are utility grade. The Magpuls are definitely nicer and have several different models. They are not just fluff. I have a few of those and they are good stocks. I had one Luth ARstock and it was more of a sniper/fixed setup adjust-it-and-leave-it application than a practical carbine stock which may be used in a couple different length of pull applications. So determine your carbine’s application before searching for a stock.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I personally favor BCM stocks because they have a superior lock up (not that it matters much), and are designed to be modular over time. You can swap out cheek pieces and stuff pretty easily.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    MAG347 is my goto, I put that S#!t on eveything, slim and compact, easy to quickly adjust, locks solid, no rattle, 11-14" LOP(M4) nice cheekweld, butt plate holds well and perfect shape/angle, QD in the right spot, and available many places for under $45. For AR15/AR9s I like the Aero enhanced buffer tube, smooth and relatively quiet finish, has the extension covering the threads and surrounding the buffer retainer to protect the lower from carrier tilt, has a ramp on the back to make stock swaps really easy, holes for drainage, it has everything.

I do have a UBR2, it's great for stuff that could use an A5/AR10 length tube, nice and solid feel and cheekweld, looks awesome and unique, actual improved function with several QDs and an improved adjustment mechanism. It's expensive at $150-ish, but figure $40-$50 for a good M4 or A5 buffer tube+$40 for the awesome Fortis K1 end plate, and it's really only a $60 stock as the tube and end plate are built in.

Took a comparison pic of a few, MOE SL is top left, UBR2 middle left. The MOE bottom left is a simple direct upgrade to standard M4, $30, rattles a little, no QD, but comfortable. Top right is a B5 Bravo, probably 2nd best to the MOE SL, a bit wider/more cheek weld area, softer butt pad, QD and easy install/adjust, It has a smaller footprint on the shoulder and no beveled toe, so hangs up a little when shouldering and not quite as comfortable. The MFT minilmalist in the middle right is an odd stock, really comfortable, really solid, similar buttpad footprint/shape/angle to the MOE SL, but not much elsse to it other than a simple adjustment lever and QD socket, 6oz is about as light as a stock can get, and this is on a lightweight < 5# 16" competition build for that purpose. Bottom right is the BCM gunfighter mod 0, a really popular stock. The adjustment mechanism is trash, really stiff, takes a tool lining up through the hole to install or remove on a tube, small flat footprint like the B5, but lacks it's soft comfortable butt pad and nice wide cheekweld. The QD socket is recessed so it's awkward to attatch.

Attachments

• 20210716_151726.jpg
      20210716_151726.jpg
      114.6 KB · Views: 103

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I like the Magpul MOE SL-K for a small "high speed low drag" type of stock. For something more like a DMR rifle the UBR-2 is really nice. Feels like a fixed target stock but with the convenience of a collapsible stock. The Magpul ACS-L Mil-Spec has a 14.9" LOP if your are building an SBR for MD and need to insure you meet that 29" OAL for a 10.5" barrel. You can also add and extra 1/2" to that by getting a thicker butt pad, see pic below.

Attachments

• sbr-can-300black-anderson.jpg
      sbr-can-300black-anderson.jpg
      75.2 KB · Views: 89

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    MAG347 is my goto, I put that S#!t on eveything, slim and compact, easy to quickly adjust, locks solid, no rattle, 11-14" LOP(M4) nice cheekweld, butt plate holds well and perfect shape/angle, QD in the right spot, and available many places for under $45. For AR15/AR9s I like the Aero enhanced buffer tube, smooth and relatively quiet finish, has the extension covering the threads and surrounding the buffer retainer to protect the lower from carrier tilt, has a ramp on the back to make stock swaps really easy, holes for drainage, it has everything.

I do have a UBR2, it's great for stuff that could use an A5/AR10 length tube, nice and solid feel and cheekweld, looks awesome and unique, actual improved function with several QDs and an improved adjustment mechanism. It's expensive at $150-ish, but figure $40-$50 for a good M4 or A5 buffer tube+$40 for the awesome Fortis K1 end plate, and it's really only a $60 stock as the tube and end plate are built in.

Took a comparison pic of a few, MOE SL is top left, UBR2 middle left. The MOE bottom left is a simple direct upgrade to standard M4, $30, rattles a little, no QD, but comfortable. Top right is a B5 Bravo, probably 2nd best to the MOE SL, a bit wider/more cheek weld area, softer butt pad, QD and easy install/adjust, It has a smaller footprint on the shoulder and no beveled toe, so hangs up a little when shouldering and not quite as comfortable. The MFT minilmalist in the middle right is an odd stock, really comfortable, really solid, similar buttpad footprint/shape/angle to the MOE SL, but not much elsse to it other than a simple adjustment lever and QD socket, 6oz is about as light as a stock can get, and this is on a lightweight &lt; 5# 16" competition build for that purpose. Bottom right is the BCM gunfighter mod 0, a really popular stock. The adjustment mechanism is trash, really stiff, takes a tool lining up through the hole to install or remove on a tube, small flat footprint like the B5, but lacks it's soft comfortable butt pad and nice wide cheekweld. The QD socket is recessed so it's awkward to attatch.

Excellent post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    VERY helpful. Thanks!

Took a comparison pic of a few, MOE SL is top left, UBR2 middle left. The MOE bottom left is a simple direct upgrade to standard M4, $30, rattles a little, no QD, but comfortable. Top right is a B5 Bravo, probably 2nd best to the MOE SL, a bit wider/more cheek weld area, softer butt pad, QD and easy install/adjust, It has a smaller footprint on the shoulder and no beveled toe, so hangs up a little when shouldering and not quite as comfortable. The MFT minilmalist in the middle right is an odd stock, really comfortable, really solid, similar buttpad footprint/shape/angle to the MOE SL, but not much elsse to it other than a simple adjustment lever and QD socket, 6oz is about as light as a stock can get, and this is on a lightweight < 5# 16" competition build for that purpose. Bottom right is the BCM gunfighter mod 0, a really popular stock. The adjustment mechanism is trash, really stiff, takes a tool lining up through the hole to install or remove on a tube, small flat footprint like the B5, but lacks it's soft comfortable butt pad and nice wide cheekweld. The QD socket is recessed so it's awkward to attatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom