• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Y'all need a new FFL if the insist on running NICS even if you have a valid WV permit. I tell customers specifically to get a permit so I don't have to deal with NICS.

As it happens, my LGS is in Inwood but I'm guessing it's not the one you use because he requires an e4473. His reasoning is that a lot can happen from the time a carry permit is issued and the time it expires so he would rather do the 10 minute check. But it is a choice on the part of each LGS.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    As it happens, my LGS is in Inwood but I'm guessing it's not the one you use because he requires an e4473. His reasoning is that a lot can happen from the time a carry permit is issued and the time it expires so he would rather do the 10 minute check. But it is a choice on the part of each LGS.
    ^^^^^^^THIS

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Do we know if the WVA NR has be applied in person?
    That is up to the individual counties, but a photo is still required, so I'd say so. There is still a training requirement, the AG office recommends it be a NRA course with live fire. It is unknown as to if the MD HQL class will suffice for the training requirement, due to it being up to the individual Sheriff and how they interpret the code.

If anybody has questions, call the WV Attorney General and ask to speak to Tyler about the NR permits. He'll help you out and is a really nice guy.

Last edited:

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    Y'all need a new FFL if the insist on running NICS even if you have a valid WV permit. I tell customers specifically to get a permit so I don't have to deal with NICS.

I've purchased several firearms from Berkeley County FFLs in the past two years and none has ever asked for my WV carry permit to bypass NICS. I pass NICS every time without a delay; however, it would be nice to walk out of the FFL even quicker. I wonder if FFLs would have less hesitance to use the NICS bypass if the person has both WV and UT carry permits (since both qualify as a NICS bypass and UT permit holders are rechecked monthly by Utah (I believe)).

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    That is up to the individual counties, but a photo is still required, so I'd say so. There is still a training requirement, the AG office recommends it be a NRA course with live fire. It is unknown as to if the MD HQL class will suffice for the training requirement, due to it being up to the individual Sheriff and how they interpret the code.

If anybody has questions, call the WV Attorney General and ask to speak to Tyler about the NR permits. He'll help you out and is a really nice guy.

Thanks. I wonder if being a NRA rifle instructor, RSO and HQL holder would qualify. Not to mention the other permits that I hold...

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    It will be the same process as residents go through. You'll need to drop off the application and pickup the permit from the sheriff's office. You can apply to ANY county as a non-resident.

I don't know how many (if any) sheriff's offices process a permit same day. My last renewal in Berkeley County took a while (30-45 days). Not sure if that was because of demand or they dedicated less resources to processing after the state went constitutional carry.

Mine wasn’t the same day. However, when I applied in 2019, the Jefferson County sheriff’s office called me to come take my picture and pick up my permit 7 days after applying. I hope it’s that quick when I apply for renewal in a few years.

Sack

Dec 17, 2014
    WV
    Mine wasn’t the same day. However, when I applied in 2019, the Jefferson County sheriff’s office called me to come take my picture and pick up my permit 7 days after applying. I hope it’s that quick when I apply for renewal in a few years.

I just picked up my resident permit today in Jefferson and it took them 10 days to call me back.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Thanks. I wonder if being a NRA rifle instructor, RSO and HQL holder would qualify. Not to mention the other permits that I hold...

I don't know it it applies to NR permits, but as a resident, having an NRA instructor certification removed the training requirement for me. Gave the Sheriff's Office in Jefferson County a copy of my NRA cert., got the photo, turned in the application, paid my money and done. Less than two weeks as I recall.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I found some info, but nothing on the NR CHL:

https://ago.wv.gov/gunreciprocity/Pages/FAQ.aspx

Q: What are the training requirements to obtain a license?
    A: Before filing your CHL application, you must present evidence that you have successfully completed one of the following training courses:
    1) Any “NRA” (National Rifle Association) handgun safety or training course;
    2) Any handgun safety or training course available to the public through an official law enforcement organization or an educational institution;
    3) Any handgun safety or training course conducted by an instructor certified by the State or by the NRA; or
    4) Any handgun safety or training course conducted by the U.S. military, reserves, or National Guard.

An applicant must present a photocopy of a certificate of course completion, an affidavit from the instructor, or some other document which verifies successful training course completion in order to obtain a CHL. The document shall include the instructor’s name, signature and NRA or state instructor identification number, if applicable.

Q: Is live fire of a handgun required for completion of my training?
    A: Yes, in order to satisfy the handgun safety and training course requirement, proof of actual live firing of ammunition by the applicant is required.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    the sticky wicket is you can have the MD HQL without actually live firing for it, that may be the gray area for WV. Unless you can get your instructor to provide the information above if you live fired for the HQL.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm hoping that showing them my MD W&C permit will pass the smell test, as that does involve 16 hours of instruction and a live fire test of more than one round. We'll see!

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    I've purchased several firearms from Berkeley County FFLs in the past two years and none has ever asked for my WV carry permit to bypass NICS. I pass NICS every time without a delay; however, it would be nice to walk out of the FFL even quicker. I wonder if FFLs would have less hesitance to use the NICS bypass if the person has both WV and UT carry permits (since both qualify as a NICS bypass and UT permit holders are rechecked monthly by Utah (I believe)).
    We only do transfers, not on-site retail, since we're licensed as a manufacturer and focus more on services like repairs, restoration, custom builds, etc.

We ask our customers with carry permits to bring them as we do the NICS bypass.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    We only do transfers, not on-site retail, since we're licensed as a manufacturer and focus more on services like repairs, restoration, custom builds, etc.

It's nice to know there are FFLs out there who take advantage of allowances in the law and trust their customers.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Be forewarned that you are entering shaky ground if that permit isn't valid or if the permit wasn't surrendered at the time the person committed a infraction that would be grounds for revocation of the permit.

My FFL did a transfer for a guy in Baltimore and it came back delayed. My FFL transferred the gun on the day that was given by NICS. A week and a half after the transfer date the ATF calls my FFL and says that the guy was denied and not to transfer the gun. Oops.... My FFL told the ATF it was transferred on the date NICS gave him and it was not their problem, not his.

Another one was my FFL did a transfer for a WV resident that had a carry permit. My FFL called it in and the guy was denied by NICS right there on the phone. Apparently the guy never surrendered his carry permit after a offense occurred and was hoping that the NICS exemption would allow him to bypass the call to NICS.

I happen to know a FFL 01/07 SOT in Bunker Hill/Inwood, but I'm not sure you are them.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    Be forewarned that you are entering shaky ground if that permit isn't valid or if the permit wasn't surrendered at the time the person committed a infraction that would be grounds for revocation of the permit.

My FFL did a transfer for a guy in Baltimore and it came back delayed. My FFL transferred the gun on the day that was given by NICS. A week and a half after the transfer date the ATF calls my FFL and says that the guy was denied and not to transfer the gun. Oops.... My FFL told the ATF it was transferred on the date NICS gave him and it was not their problem, not his.

Another one was my FFL did a transfer for a WV resident that had a carry permit. My FFL called it in and the guy was denied by NICS right there on the phone. Apparently the guy never surrendered his carry permit after a offense occurred and was hoping that the NICS exemption would allow him to bypass the call to NICS.

I happen to know a FFL 01/07 SOT in Bunker Hill/Inwood, but I'm not sure you are them.

Why even have NICS bypass then? It sounds like the government failed twice. In the first instance, the government did not finish the background check in the time allotted by law. In the second instance, the sheriff who revoked the permit did not follow up and take the permit.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Why even have NICS bypass then? It sounds like the government failed twice. In the first instance, the government did not finish the background check in the time allotted by law. In the second instance, the sheriff who revoked the permit did not follow up and take the permit.
    To allow the FFL the discretion to bypass NICS for customers that always pass, but get delayed every time? Hell if I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom