Whats your OPTIC of choice for 1st AR15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Geez, an Aimpoint PRO is $400. If you're planning on shooting under 100 yards all of the time, it's a great option and is practically bullet proof. It's great for 16" or shorter carbines.

For my uses on a 223/556 rifle its Aimpoint hands down. I can get good hits at 300 yards with my H-1 with a 4 moa dot. Anything past that and I have trouble seeing what I am shooting at. Realistically the furthest I would ever shoot is about 100 yards anyways because thats about as far as I can see on my property. I dont know where people get 'red dots are only good for under 100 yards' or whatever other bs they are spinning.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Aimpoint

Simple to operate and use, relieable, can be had for somewhat cheaper. Strong as hell. You can add magnification if you want.

If you will spend the money acogs are great. They may not be as easy as an acog to use within a few feet, but they can still be used fast. Its about training. The manual says look at your target and bring the rifle up until you see red(or whatever color your reticle is). At distance the fixed power is an advantage. Its the same every time you use it, and the bdc is set up properly for it. Each line equals 19" at the given distance, which is the average should width of person. People i know who have used it in combat have said they work great. Doesnt get much better. Just ask the Marine whos acog took a bullet for him.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I have an EOTech (AA version, no night vision). Love it. Cowitness back up iron sights. I had a carry handle 3.5x scope mounted previously. Didn't like it since I couldn't get a good cheek weld due to the height.

Matt

mrleftankle

Jan 26, 2013
    I just bought a Lucid HD7. All the reviews says its pretty awesome for the price. Check out YouTube and other review sources. After I put it through its paces, I'll come back with a report.

Dialtone

"Assimilate THIS...."
    Mar 5, 2012
    PG County
    Don't have one yet still running the irons. I do like the Aimpoint PRO. I've looked at a couple of NCstar Acog style optics. A friend of mine told me that they weren't any good.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Don't have one yet still running the irons. I do like the Aimpoint PRO. I've looked at a couple of NCstar Acog style optics. A friend of mine told me that they weren't any good.

Ncstars only have a similar shape to an acog. They do nothing like an acog. Not the same reticle, bdc, stadia lines, clear glass, relieability, durability.

outlaw

Apr 29, 2012
    Ocean Pines
    leupold and burris make 223 calibrated scopes to take the guess work out of it, check them out, I've had good luck with burris

Robert Avery

Sep 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I use a Burris XTR 1.5X6 and it works great! The glass is clear and the illumination is Fantastic. I am using this scope for 3-Gun this year on my LWRC M6A2 14.7 SPR which I believe will be a great combination.

Watkins87

Jun 4, 2012
    Fort Washington, MD.
    I dont want to pay over $300 bucks for Optics when that can be put towards another firearm to add to my New collection. But I do what it takes to get proper sightings for enjoyed shooting.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    OP - It's a simple philosophy, "Buy once, cry once", we're not trying to bankrupt you. But when it comes to optics, you want to spend some money. Because when you buy cheaply, you typically end up paying more in the long run.

That said, if your not willing/able to spend the $$ on some of the options previously mentioned. There's alternatives - just don't expect to be able to treat them as roughly as some of the higher end options.

Red dot type - Vortex, specifically the Strikefire - should run you less than $200 with shipping. Bushnell TRS-25, prices vary, but you should be out less than $120 shipped.

Scope - Believe it or not, but I had good luck with a wal-mart special - a Center-Point 2x7 power shotgun scope. Eye relief is generous, glass is ok. It served me well on my 16" 300 Blackout until I finally spent some $$ on an Aimpoint PRO. Other than that, I'd lean towards the Nikon P-223 for your budget, M-223 would be over $300 from what I've found.

TimGB

Jul 10, 2011
    I just received my Eotech via UPS today, which I have now mounted on my Colt LE6920 that I bought last fall. So I have not shot it yet to give detailed feedback. So far, I have only used the iron sights. I think I'm going to like it though.

No one seemed to have the EXPS2-0 model that I wanted in stock. I ended up getting the EXPS3-0 (night vision capable) version just because that is all I could find. It was $550 from Airsurplus.com although now appears to be sold out too.

I need to post pics to the AR picture thread.

Watkins87

Jun 4, 2012
    Fort Washington, MD.
    OP - It's a simple philosophy, "Buy once, cry once", we're not trying to bankrupt you. But when it comes to optics, you want to spend some money. Because when you buy cheaply, you typically end up paying more in the long run.

That said, if your not willing/able to spend the $$ on some of the options previously mentioned. There's alternatives - just don't expect to be able to treat them as roughly as some of the higher end options.

Red dot type - Vortex, specifically the Strikefire - should run you less than $200 with shipping. Bushnell TRS-25, prices vary, but you should be out less than $120 shipped.

Scope - Believe it or not, but I had good luck with a wal-mart special - a Center-Point 2x7 power shotgun scope. Eye relief is generous, glass is ok. It served me well on my 16" 300 Blackout until I finally spent some $$ on an Aimpoint PRO. Other than that, I'd lean towards the Nikon P-223 for your budget, M-223 would be over $300 from what I've found.

You're absolutely right about getting what you pay for. Very true sir, because after mounting my new Optics after sighting/zeroing it, I still see the difference in others when they shoot. I will purchase something worth mounting to Daniel Defense DDM4

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    I put the Burris MTAC on mine. It's 1-4x by 24mm objective. Thing is, I can make both eyes open shots with the nice big red target ring at 1x. It's super fast for close-up target acquisition to say 25-50 yards. The 4x lets me make dime sized groups at 100 yards. Terrific all round optic for both purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom