• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Better than normal biometric?

Based on the biometrics I have used, I personally wouldn't use a biometric fast-access vault if it were free. There may be good biometric systems, but reviews on Amazon shows that these locking mechanisms seem to have far more issues than others.

There is no single perfect lock for a handgun lockbox.

You have to choose your poison. Biometrics and other electronic locks mail fail or run out of batteries rendering them unusable. Some also generate light or audible sounds that could give away your surprise or position to an intruder.

Simplex locks are relatively easily "cracked" by a determined attacker with enough time, but their failure rate is very low. They also do not generate light or noise so as to not give away your position to an intruder.

Pick your poison.

I think the Simplex is probably the best. Realistically, the Fort Knox is still only something like 10 gauge. It's hella more armored than most, but it's not designed to withstand a concentrated or sustained attack using tools. The fast-access vaults are generally trade-offs...it's smaller, lighter, not heavily armored, not fireproof, and generally limited in features. Someone who is a determined attacker will likely have multiple means of defeating such sort of safe. But because they are so small, they are easy to hide and if the attacker does not know it's there, then you're golden!

Simplex's reliability over electronic and biometric is, to me, the most important reason it's better. The worst thing that can happen is needing a gun and having an electronic/biometric lock fail when getting to that gun fast means you live and not getting to the gun fast means you die. I've seen many electronic locks fail. Further, most other fast-access vaults can have their locking mechanisms defeated far easier than a Simplex. With the most common models, a peperclip is enough to gain access in seconds. So while I agree nothing is perfect, I look at the Simplex as being really, really close...

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Check A.G. English. They had the best price when I bought mine and the CS was excellent. Just beware not to get the "Auto Pistol" version - it will not handle "full size" pistols. Compacts, subcompacts, mid-size Sigs (like a P228) are all okay but it will not fit a full size 1911, or even a commander size 1911.

gatornick

Apr 6, 2013
    I just used the ops link and got mine last night. I think it was less than a week ago that I ordered it. I had no idea it shipped they aren't very communicative, but I'm not complaining it arrived quickly and seems like a great lock box.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Here's what I did to my Fort Knox.

I used a die grinder to make a slot for a cable to anchor to anything sturdy. Made the slot just deep enough to allow the lid to close. In the house it's connected to a radiator. The cable can also be used to secure it to the seat frame in the car or truck.

Used a loop at both ends to make the cable less susceptible to defeat by using the weight of the box as a slide hammer. A straight butt swag would likely fail with a little effort.

Attachments

• DSC02302 resized.jpg
      DSC02302 resized.jpg
      44.1 KB · Views: 320
    • DSC02304 resized.jpg
      DSC02304 resized.jpg
      27.4 KB · Views: 322
    • DSC02305 resized.jpg
      DSC02305 resized.jpg
      40.6 KB · Views: 333

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Based on the biometrics I have used, I personally wouldn't use a biometric fast-access vault if it were free. There may be good biometric systems, but reviews on Amazon shows that these locking mechanisms seem to have far more issues than others.

I think the Simplex is probably the best. Realistically, the Fort Knox is still only something like 10 gauge. It's hella more armored than most, but it's not designed to withstand a concentrated or sustained attack using tools. The fast-access vaults are generally trade-offs...it's smaller, lighter, not heavily armored, not fireproof, and generally limited in features. Someone who is a determined attacker will likely have multiple means of defeating such sort of safe. But because they are so small, they are easy to hide and if the attacker does not know it's there, then you're golden!

Simplex's reliability over electronic and biometric is, to me, the most important reason it's better. The worst thing that can happen is needing a gun and having an electronic/biometric lock fail when getting to that gun fast means you live and not getting to the gun fast means you die. I've seen many electronic locks fail. Further, most other fast-access vaults can have their locking mechanisms defeated far easier than a Simplex. With the most common models, a peperclip is enough to gain access in seconds. So while I agree nothing is perfect, I look at the Simplex as being really, really close...

I happen to agree with you, but still haven't used mine for storing a loaded gun since I can't get over the possibility that the simplex lock can relatively easily be cracked with little more than 1/2 hour time.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Here's what I did to my Fort Knox.

I used a die grinder to make a slot for a cable to anchor to anything sturdy. Made the slot just deep enough to allow the lid to close. In the house it's connected to a radiator. The cable can also be used to secure it to the seat frame in the car or truck.

Used a loop at both ends to make the cable less susceptible to defeat by using the weight of the box as a slide hammer. A straight butt swag would likely fail with a little effort.

It didn't come with a slot for a cable?

Yuck. I mean I realize it's high quality and it has holes to mount it but I figured it would come with a cable slot. That is how I was planning on securing it, as well.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I happen to agree with you, but still haven't used mine for storing a loaded gun since I can't get over the possibility that the simplex lock can relatively easily be cracked with little more than 1/2 hour time.

In the real world, how many burglars are going to invest that much time (on site). Most home burglaries are over in ten minutes or less.

Sitting around, using a tryout chart, for a half hour (or more) is just not worth the risk. They would just pry it open, first.

Dee English

Feb 20, 2014
    Fort Knox Pistol Boxes

Hello everyone,
    This is Dee English. Some of you may remember dealing with me in the past on purchases of the Fort Knox pistol box mentioned in the above comments. I have had a great time talking to all of you who have read this thread and chosen to shop with us at AGEnglish.com. I would like to, at this time, let you know that we are still selling these amazing Fort Knox Pistol Boxes at our same low price along with other items that we have made available at prices that are hard to beat. However, we have changed our agenglish.com website and are now doing business as Gun Safes America. Our new website, www.gunsafesamerica.com, will continue to offer the same great price that everyone is looking for. We are trying to keep up with the demand for these pistol boxes for our valued customers who continue to surprise us with their wonderful personalities. We plan to keep plenty in stock and if we are out we will continue to take orders to guarantee that you receive our discounted price on back oder. Please take time to look at some of our other items which I assure you are competitive in every sense. It has been a true pleasure dealing with you all and I look forward to many more chances to show you that our customer service is second to none.
    Sincerely,
    Dee English
    www.gunsafesamerica.com

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks for the update Dee. I bought an auto pistol safe and love it. It's thru bolted to the floor in the back of my truck and I don't think I could get much better protection for the price. I may be in the market for a regular pistol safe soon, so the new website info is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom