• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Ultimate Member
    I just had this thought and I wanted others to look into it and tell me if I'm wrong.

If SB-281 passes, then we can still transfer assault weapons in the immediate family.

Let's say I meet someone that does not have an AR-15, but wants one after SB-281 passes. I can't sell it to him.

But, if I use the "gay marriage loophole" I could marry him, legally transfer the gun, followed by a gay divorced.

So that is basically my idea of a loophole. Essentially we just starting these gay marriages for guns or even domestic partners. BTW, were there any gay gun owners that were demanding how they'd transfer guns to their partners?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    puhleeze...

you have to die first.

let's leave all this crap go until after the session is over

opticman

9mm EyeDoctor
    Sep 30, 2009
    NFA Trust

And I wonder where an NFA Trust might fit in the scheme of things when SB 281 is finally law?

jimd27

Nov 12, 2011
    I think you just won the "If SB281 passes, what if...." contest. Congratulations!!!

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I see no exemption for transfer to family members

I just had this thought and I wanted others to look into it and tell me if I'm wrong. If SB-281 passes, then we can still transfer assault weapons in the immediate family. . . if I use the "gay marriage loophole" I could marry him, legally transfer the gun, followed by a gay divorced.

This is not a trick question: Where, in the House-passed SB 281, do you see any authority to transfer an "assault" weapon to a member of "the immediate family," spouse or otherwise, after October 1, 2013?

The bill does allow sale to FFLs of assault weapons that are "grandfathered" and therefore lawfully possessed, but only for ultimate destinations in other states. It also explicitly allows these grandfathered firearms to be transferred by inheritance, and this is not limited to inheritance by spouses or family members. But I see no other provision for transfers, after October 1, 2013, to family members, including spouses regardless of gender.

I also see no provision to allow transfer of handguns by inheritance to anyone, family member or otherwise, who does not possess the "handgun qualification license," unless the heir is exempted from that requirement through prior ownership of a regulated firearm or qualifies for another exemption, as I discussed elsewhere.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    brilliant2.jpg

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    So does this thread signal we can talk about the loopholes that are present in the bill. I have some fascinating (to me) ideas.

Ultimate Member
    So does this thread signal we can talk about the loopholes that are present in the bill. I have some fascinating (to me) ideas.

I guess we have to see what happens. I'd like to see all of these bills NY, CT, CO, CA, and MD brought to court. I can't believe you can ban a gun for putting something on it. It seems very wrong.

But loophole?

1. buy belt fed
    2. start calling guns by different models

I'll keep fighting for now, but I'd like to see what the courts have to say about these BS state laws.

Ideally I'd like a Supreme Court ruling so we stop having to fight these laws every year. Maybe even a Federal law, anything.

But I'm serious about the gay thing. We should start playing them in the debate more. But if it is only inheritance then that is a problem. Maybe we can do something with that though. What if I go on a legit trip to Europe for 3 months, but someone word gets back I'm dead when I'm not. Then my estate transfers the guns to whoever and I come back alive? Well I guess we have to see what reaches the governor's desk and what holds up in court.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co

Some have said to wait until April 8. If someone responded with something juicy prematurely, they should delete it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Uuh, based on the summaries posted, a family member can INHERIT pre-ban regulated firearms.

So while your plan would work, it would also require that you die. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom