• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lamontjb

Aug 13, 2014
    Service members in MD and Copycat Weapons

As I read Senate Bill 281:

Am I correct to read that "Members of the armed forces of the United States" are do not apply to the Assault Weapon restrictions based on Page 11, line 29?

Reference: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

Basically, I am in the military assigned to Maryland and want to buy a .300 blackout semi-auto rifle and want to know if I am legally able to possess this rifle.

I have searched the forums and maybe missed this same answer/question. If so, I apologize. Not trying to be lazy, just want some clarification on this state bill. This thread was a great help in educating me on it though.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    AFAIK, the 300 BLK is not banned and if not a copycat, ie. OAL < 29", more than 1 evil feature, ti's legal to buy and possess.

Your military status should not matter for this rifle.

IANAL however.

lamontjb

Aug 13, 2014
    Clarification

The rifle I am getting will have an OAL of less than 29". For the sake of the original question, are active duty service members exempt from assault rifle restriction? Thanks again.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If your read it carefully, that exemption is only for duty use. Otherwise you would not be able to have your duty M4 off of Federal property.

It does not apply for individual ownership. LEO can buy, if they have a letter that it is for duty use, but once they leave the force, they can keep them.

Cannot own semi-auto, centerfire rifle shorter than 29". Even if you SBR it.

And anyway, if it is an AR type rifle, the only want to get under 29" is pretty much with 1 10" or shorter barrel, which is NFA (SBR) territory.

This subtitle does not apply to:
    (1) if acting within the scope of official business, personnel of the 0 United States government or a unit of that government, members of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    Well I recently won a bid on gunbroker for a vepr 7.62x54R in standard configuration (wood furniture and no aftermarket parts). The seller, a well known importer, is telling me that from what they interpret from the law they cannon ship it to MD. I've called numerous other companies that have been shipping the 54R versions to MD without an issue. Said companies say that it's legal because it's not chambered in 7.62x39.

Is there anything in writing that I can use in my defense? Otherwise I have to wait until they get a response from the AFT and I have a feeling that will take a while

ARenthusiast

Mar 17, 2012
    To make this easy I'll just copy and past their exact response.

"Our FFL responsible authority is having a hard time finding approval for this rifle to enter the State of MD. Here is the reason why highlighted in yellow ; area highlight in green lean towards it being ok. The problem is (xxvii) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format; We are waiting for the State to respond to us on this issue. Man I hate MD gun Laws"

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    on the MSP registration page it specifically asks for barrel length and overall length. What the hell do i put for a stripped lower? 0" and 7"?

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I just filled out my new resident registration form. How long does it normally take for approval?

Jun 28, 2014
    Baltimore Co.
    I just had a run in with the MSP denying my app 3 times. I purchased a bushy lower pre-ban in sept 2013. I am JUST now getting around to registering it. Bollinger Gunsales in Taneytown fought tooth and nail to inform MSP of the law. I had a P.O., presented it, and per SB281, I was in compliance to register the pre-ban lower. They tried to tell them to tell me to find another low ( wrong), then they didn't return the FFL's phone calls and wanted me to complete all the ppw again WITH THE FEES(wrong), then they finally said, ok.. we will approve it. TOTAL BS. SB281 has the grandfather clause in it for a reason, and now they dont want to honor it...should I be shocked?

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Interesting. First time I have heard of any issues with a purchase order. What explicit reason did they give for a DISAPPROVED? Did they say your PO was not sufficient or up to snuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom