• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CDFingers

Don't Call Me Sir
    Mar 4, 2013
    Sykesville, MD
    Hi All,

I'm looking for some knowledgeable advice about an AK kit and receiver I ordered.

I thought I could complete the build for about $600, but now realize I need more parts plus access to an A-Frame press that I don't have. So I'm trying to decide if I should cut my losses and resell the parts that are coming in the mail, hand it to a gun smith and pay them to complete the job, or just keep buying what I need because the build isn't as hard as I think.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Here's what I have.

=====

I bought a Polish AK kit (description at the end). It's on the way in the mail and should have everything I need except receiver and barrel. I ordered a stamped, 80% assembled receiver and then realized the AK kit is for a milled receiver, so I need trunnions to make it fit.

I need a barrel too, something called head gauges, and access to an A-Frame press to push things together.

The kit cost $400 and the receiver cost $85 so I'm in for $485. If I add trunnions ($100 + $30), a barrel ($150) and gauges ($35 + $35) I'd be in for a total of $835.

Here's the description of the kit I purchased:

Original Polish manufactured AK-47 parts kit for milled receiver, fine condition, matching bolt and carrier, all other parts unumbered except for gas tube. Standard 7.62X39 AK caliber. Polish made rifles are of very high quality and interchangeable with most other AKs. All parts needed for your build included except for barrel and receiver. Kit is representative, wood color may differ slightly. Get yours before the next ban.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    You could actually buy a milled receiver through an FFL. That would make the build much easier. Or sell the milled kit and buy a stamped gun kit.

And you don't need a press. If you search around, there are people who've come up with all kinds of cheap homemade tools to get the job done, the end result just won't be as pretty or clean.

CDFingers

Don't Call Me Sir
    Mar 4, 2013
    Sykesville, MD
    From what I can tell, milled receivers are impossible to find right now, but a stamped kit looks like it's an option.

What is your experience with prices? If I pay $835 for all the parts not counting assembly fees or tools, am I in the usual ball park for AK assemblies?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    From what I can tell, milled receivers are impossible to find right now, but a stamped kit looks like it's an option.

What is your experience with prices? If I pay $835 for all the parts not counting assembly fees or tools, am I in the usual ball park for AK assemblies?

In this volatile market it's hard to say. Four months ago you could've built three rifles for that much.

ETA: I just checked Atlantic Firearms and What-A-Country. Both have various stamped kits for under $400. Beyond that you'll need a barrel, rivets, and 922r compliance parts. $600-ish is feasible depending on what you can sell your milled kit for.

CDFingers

Don't Call Me Sir
    Mar 4, 2013
    Sykesville, MD
    So as long as I get the right kit based on how much I'm willing to pay, you think this is doable?

Other than price, how difficult is it to get the right barrel and install it and the head gauges correctly? If I need lots of skill, I'd rather take it to a gun smith for a price quote. If its a situation where it won't go together at all if everything isn't right, I'd feel safer.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    There's lots of members here with all the tooling needed to build it. You'll have to do the actual labor, so there are no legal gray areas crossed into, but I bet you'd be able to get it done without paying a smith.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    You'd be better off getting a barreled, headspaced kit for a stamped receiver. The Polish kits are nice but a milled receiver will be a lot more expensive, and while you can "force fit" the kit using different trunnions... why?

You can still find a Romy G kit with original barrel for a little more than you paid for your Polish kit. AK-Builder was also selling headspaced, barreled kits. You might want to call him up and see if he has any in stock.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    x2 for the 922r compliant parts needed. For $800+ you'd be better off just buying a complete one thats easier to sell later if you ever need to.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'm surprised the new senate bill doesn't include 922(r) random checkpoints.

CDFingers

Don't Call Me Sir
    Mar 4, 2013
    Sykesville, MD
    Thanks All,

I don't have access to the Internet during the day and it's nice to see all this help when I do get back on. And special thanks to "Armed Ferret" who called me a "noob", I feel young again.

Here's what I gather from the discussions:

* $835 for a full build might be a bit high, but the market is in uncharted territory and it's hard to say for sure.

* I might get more resell value if I sell my kit and stamped receiver then buy a complete gun at a show.

* For tools, I might be able to either make my own or hook up with someone from the forum and use theirs.

* I need to comply with 922r, which I didn't know existed until I read these answers, but knowing our government I'm not at all surprised that it does exist.

* Other kits such as a Romy G are possibilities, and they do look nice, but I'd still have 922r to deal with.

So, I'm starting to think that it's time to sit down with the internet, a pen and paper, and make a real list of what's involved and what it will cost. That would have been an excellent first step, but I'm learning all the time. If I decide to surrender, I can always go back and resell the parts kit and receiver on GunBroker, maybe for a small loss, and then pick up a different kit like a Romy G or a complete rifle at a show.

Does that sum it up correctly?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Yep. Tooling can be expensive, if you can beg or borrow it will greatly reduce the cost of a build.

922(r) is pretty easy to meet: a new G2 FCG, US pistol grip, and US muzzle device will get you there as long as you are using a US receiver. That's maybe $50 in parts if you wait for a sale.

Get a Romy barreled kit for $400ish and you don't have to worry about headspacing or buying a good barrel (though you should still check headspacing).

I'd highly recommend a built receiver vs rolling your own. Lots less work. But it can all be done in the garage if you are handy and have access to a few tools.

So you are looking at maybe $550 for a home receiver build, $650 for a commercial one.

CDFingers

Don't Call Me Sir
    Mar 4, 2013
    Sykesville, MD
    When you say "Romy barrelled kit" you mean a Romy kit that includes a barrel, right? The stamped receiver I ordered is from NoDakSpud.com and made here in USA.

That means if I sell the Polish Kit when it comes, I can get a complete Romy G kit, buy some 922R compliance parts and have everything I need to complete a build for ballpark $600. Then the only think left to do would be to put it together correctly?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I am learning.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I am learning.

Not at all. The info on AKs is not as cut an dry as for AR assembly.

You can rent the headspace gauges. The press is pretty cheap from Harbor Freight, but the dies might run a little bit.

I plan on investing in the dies and gauges, as I plan on doing several builds from flats or 80% lowers.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I have a press and flat bending jig. Others have rivet tools etc. Your big problem is trunnions and barrel. I learned the hard way that doing your own builds cost way more than buying one or five.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    When you say "Romy barrelled kit" you mean a Romy kit that includes a barrel, right?

Yep. Any kit with an original or pre-headspaced barrel. That solves a few issues:
    - Having to align barrel components
    - Headspacing
    - Needing to drill the barrel pin neatly without going oversize

Romanian G kits have their original, chrome-lined barrel and are still "fairly reasonable" in cost.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    I have a press and flat bending jig. Others have rivet tools etc. Your big problem is trunnions and barrel. I learned the hard way that doing your own builds cost way more than buying one or five.

How long does it take to bend a flat? Might have to hit you up over the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom