• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I've seen this happen a few times over the years and every time the dealer had another FFL come in and take over their inventory to finish the transfers, etc. That's why it is very important to hang on to your purchase receipts, records, etc. in case the original FFL's books aren't too clear on who he was supposed to be transferring the gun to.
    I bet the problem come in for anyone that was in the middle of buying a gun is, I bet the ATF will not want to step right in giving the sick FFL time to get better before they step in. I do not think it would be a case where you find out the FFL is sick on Monday and the ATF is stepping in on Friday. I bet some time will have to go buy before it come to an end. Your thought?

dragonfire1911

I was just thinking out loud and hoping for the quickest, least costly solution.
    Looks like I will have to call the ATF and MSP to get some guidance. I don't know how much it will cost to ask my current FFL to come and pick up my firearms.

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    2 month backlog don't help, can you imagine the inventory he has....

Hope he gets well soon

BlueRibbon

Jan 18, 2013
    I'm in the same boat! :mad54: and most likely the same FFL.

I'll send you a PM.

What is the law concerning firearm transfers when your FFL dealer is seriously ill or can't complete the transfer due to uncontrollable circumstances? Of course the firearm(s) had been sent to their FFL address, then the unfortunate event occurred. How to deal with this situation?

dragonfire1911

Update: I finally got in touch with MSP after multiple calls and emails. They pretty much punted over to the ATF. Then I emailed the ATF thrice and called multiple times and left messages. I finally got someone call me back today. This is what the stated.
    "The ATF doesn't get involved in these matters. The ATF will only get involved when there is a crime committed such as theft of firearms. This is a civil case. The FFL can hold on to your firearms indefinitely and the ATF will not get involved. If the FFL is holding on to your property (firearms), you will have to take legal actions using the civil laws. The family member of the FFL can NOT handle the firearms. No one other than the FFL licensee can handle the transfer to another FFL. If the licensee has deceased, at that point the family members can request for the ATF to take over the FFL activities relating to the current firearms in the deceased's possession."

Any lawyers on MDS have any comments on this?

I'm not in anyways suggesting any legal actions, just seeking advice on this situation. The wellness of the FFL and his recovery is still paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom