• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zegerman

Mar 26, 2011
    Germantown
    Got my DC letter in, went from 0 guns to building a collection. I have one AR lower I'm building out, and three more and an AK47 in the mail to the FFL. The M1A is the one on my short list that I'm waffling on. I don't know what role it plays in my collection beyond "I want it" and I'm generally impressed with the SOCOM 16 build for it, or the M21 longer range... but when it comes to allocating $1500+ for a complete rifle vs. just buying a receiver to get my foot in the door, I'm leaning receiver.

My question to you all is, assuming I'm competent enough to build an AR from parts (and I think I am, but you can't know that, so let's assume), is there anything about building up an M1A from parts that's going to cause me grief?

It's already clear that there aren't nearly as many parts available, and I keep reading about how the 16"/socom varieties required some re-engineering of the gas system that's a bit vague. I've been looking at everything from a SA M1A receiver to a Fulton armory M14 rear-lug ($150 for that little chunk of metal to improve bedding; worth it?) and then all over the map on finishing plans (that likely wouldn't even start until 2014 or later)... 16"+SAGE EBR all the way to a 22" M21 style with wooden stock. I don't want to buy a receiver and then find out next year finishing it is too much gunsmithing for a DIYer.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    In short: not easily. You will spend a fortune (hundreds of dollars) in tools, gauges and jigs.

If you're a machinist and have access to machines, it may be doable. At least you can make your own jigs. It's nowhere near as simple as assembling an AR from parts.

Check out the Jerry Kuhnhausen book on the .30 cal service rifle if you want to see what's involved.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Can a newb build one?, Yes. With some caveats that smores touched on.

The real question is, Should a newb build one?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    All good points above. It's a similar situation with 1911 builds. Sure, you may get it done, but it will not likely be done correctly on the first try.

If you have a lot of time and money on your hands, and have someone who REALLY knows what they're doing (i.e. has built several of them) to check your work... it could be a rewarding prospect. Just do your research and know what lies ahead of you before you dive in.

I can do basic repairs and troubleshooting on the Garand and M1A, but I have seen what sort of tools and the number of spare parts that are needed to really do it right. I personally choose to leave it up to guys who have invested in the things I mentioned above. An original military arsenal bolt timing block can run $300-400. That's just one tool to check one vital aspect of the cycle of operation.

I can install tires but I don't have a wheel balancing machine or bead seater. I would rather just have someone else do it. Know what I mean? ;)

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Even if you don't build it yourself, you can always send it to a smith or possibly even back to Fulton? to build it later. You'd own the receiver already.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    What a newb Can do is buy a receiver now before Oct. 1, and have it built later as money allows.

A newb can do that.

I had a guy try to talk me out of a just a receiver because it was going to cost sooo much to have built later. His argument was so flawed. Buying a new rifle now is still expensive and thats if you can find one.

zegerman

Mar 26, 2011
    Germantown
    Thank you guys for this input. Exactly what I needed to hear. I had a suspicion the M14/M1A was more of a job for a gunsmith than an amateur, and you've confirmed it for me. I'll have to strongly consider BRONZ's and smdub's point that I could buy the receiver now and send it back to Fulton to do a build next year.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Buying a receiver to have built later is a great idea.

For the record, I did see a Springfield M1A at Engage earlier this evening.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    If I were you, and knowing how I feel about the m14 platform, I would spend the cash for at least a foulton armory receiver. Me, I'm going with LRB, the best there is. But it's pricey. Build it little by little with a smith and it won't be such a cost at once other than the receiver. But you wouldn't use cut rate concrete for a house foundation would you?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    IMNSHO, building an M14 platform rifle is easy IF you've done it 30 or 50 times, previously.

Now, "Building" and actually getting it to be "Reliable" are different things.

The way I look at it is, "It's your $$$. Spend it as you see fit. I know MY limitations, that's why I bought one."

Building it. Getting it reliable. Making it accurate.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Well, to help hold down the expense's, you can buy a complete barreled upper from Fulton, later on. get the receiver now, the stock you want, extra's, trigger & stuff, then, drop the barreled action in and WHALA!! :-) hahahaha probably left a few things out, but, the good thing, is Fulton Armory will actually put everything together for you later, so, it will probably be a little more than the whole purchase but, you can start with $4-500 bucks and complete on YOUR time table. AND you will have ONE!! :-)

zegerman

Mar 26, 2011
    Germantown
    Buying a receiver to have built later is a great idea.

For the record, I did see a Springfield M1A at Engage earlier this evening.

Ha! I was at Engage earlier this evening too. That M1A was the national match, but it did draw my eye. I'm on their list for a SOCOM 16, but like I said I'm really unsure what I'm buying an M1A for exactly. Mostly a middle finger to our politicians I guess.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Ha! I was at Engage earlier this evening too. That M1A was the national match, but it did draw my eye. I'm on their list for a SOCOM 16, but like I said I'm really unsure what I'm buying an M1A for exactly. Mostly a middle finger to our politicians I guess.

I personally like the full size version... it just looks "right". You could always throw the barreled action into a sage EBR stock. :)

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

zegerman

Mar 26, 2011
    Germantown
    Any thoughts on the rear stabilizing lug version of the Fulton Armory M1A lower? It's $700 vs the one without for $550. It appears to be a chunk of metal with a threaded hole in it, so a screw can come through the stock and improve bedding. Is the accuracy and reliability gained worth $150? Don't laugh, but wouldn't JB Welding a nut onto the bottom of the receiver accomplish the same thing? We're talking about making sure the receiver doesn't move inside the stock that surrounds it, so there shouldn't be any critical 0.001" precision issues in play. Just curious where the cost comes from and what people in the know think about the benefits. Thanks again for all the advice.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Any thoughts on the rear stabilizing lug version of the Fulton Armory M1A lower? It's $700 vs the one without for $550. It appears to be a chunk of metal with a threaded hole in it, so a screw can come through the stock and improve bedding. Is the accuracy and reliability gained worth $150? Don't laugh, but wouldn't JB Welding a nut onto the bottom of the receiver accomplish the same thing? We're talking about making sure the receiver doesn't move inside the stock that surrounds it, so there shouldn't be any critical 0.001" precision issues in play. Just curious where the cost comes from and what people in the know think about the benefits. Thanks again for all the advice.

My beloved (SAI) M1A is comparable to a SuperMatch, but, does NOT have the rear lug.

In my experience, the rear lug is going to need 'attention' to hog out/relieve the stock (any stock, btw!) for the lug to fit...... properly.

Unless you want/need/can shoot a full-blown Match rifle, it's not necessary.

Getting ANY M1A to be a real 'shooter' and keeping it that way, is going to be EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!

Take my 'word' on that, as gospel.

FWIW, my M1A WILL shoot 1" groups at 200 yards, and it cost plenty of $$$ to get it that way, too!

Lastly, here's 2¢ worth of free advise........ get the LRB or find an SAI. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    IMNSHO, don't fool with FA. :tdown::tdown:

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    J.B. Weld?

uploadfromtaptalk1375373648664.jpg

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics